Floyd Landis fails test B

My theory - he was so desperate after his poor ride that he was willing to do anything and hope that he wouldn't be caught. Now his huge comeback seems more plausible.

It's amazing that extra testosterone can have that immediate of an effect.

Bottom line - he's a cheat and a liar. He deserves the shame being heaped upon him.

I'm willing to bet that at huge percentage of these guys, along with athletes of nearly all sports, use anabolic drugs during training/off-season and time their cycles such that the traces of drugs are out of their system before testing. I think this problem is much more wide spread than the general public is lead to believe.

I'm not an expert in athletic pharmicologic enhancement,but regardless of whether his elevated testosterone is synthetic or his own,it likely did not aid in his amazing aerobic capacity and recovery in one day.If there is someone here who can shed light on whether there is a substance that does help in muscle recovery/energy usage and can do so in one day,that includes synthetic testosterone ,,I'd like to read about it.

All the competitive riders "Dope" every one of them..the trick is not getting caught. The spanish rider has said that Landis is the winner..why?..because he dopes too and he didn't cross the line first.

zahntech said:
All the competitive riders "Dope" every one of them..the trick is not getting caught. The spanish rider has said that Landis is the winner..why?..because he dopes too and he didn't cross the line first.

What makes you say that?? Did you ride competitively?

Blood doping, btw, is the practice of injecting a rider's own (saved/stored) red blood cells before an event to increase his aerobic capacity. Every person's red blood cell count is different, but is generally constant - so if Landis was tested and his *personal* RBC was 10% higher than his benchmark - something is fishy.

Testosterone injection, steriods - what Floyd Landis tested positive for - different game.

Doping is quite common amongst the lower level ranks, because those guys don't get tested anywhere near as often as the top cyclists. Lance was tested after nearly every Tour stage during his reign (partly because of his reign, partly because the French disliked him) and he never tested positive for doping or steriods.

My *guess* is that, after having hit the wall in stage 16 (losing like 7 mins and any "normal" chance of regaining the lead), Landis tried some short-duration steroid to attempt a comeback in the last few mountain stages. Since they don't test everyone after every stage, he probably just rolled the dice in hopes that he wouldn't be tested in the next day or so.

Really sucks for Floyd and American cycling. I hope it doesn't tarnish Lance's reputation, though. What a champion, in its purest form. He's the greatest athlete in American history. :smile:

LeftLane said:
My theory - he was so desperate after his poor ride that he was willing to do anything and hope that he wouldn't be caught. Now his huge comeback seems more plausible.

It's amazing that extra testosterone can have that immediate of an effect.

Bottom line - he's a cheat and a liar. He deserves the shame being heaped upon him.

I agree completely. I'm amazed too at the effect that it seems to have had in S17. I doubt it's a physiological benefit as much as psychological (in the very short term). The team Doc could've injected him with Red Bull and it probably would have helped.

Last edited:
Ski_Banker said:
What makes you say that?? Did you ride competitively?

Blood doping, btw, is the practice of injecting a rider's own (saved/stored) red blood cells before an event to increase his aerobic capacity. Every person's red blood cell count is different, but is generally constant - so if Landis was tested and his *personal* RBC was 10% higher than his benchmark - something is fishy.

:

Yes I did ride competitively a few years back. ...and the practice you discribe is called "Blood packing"..not "blood doping".

"Doping" is a slang term used to discribe any sort of chemical or homone enhancement.

Shame what he did to the sport and his team, according to news his racing stable lost an important sponsor deal they would've needed.

He did not only hurt the whole sport and himself, there are so many people involved and that jerk is still lying and trying to rescue his ass. Unbelievable.

TomCat said:
Innocent until proven guilty.
I believe these same allogations dogged Lance Armstrong...so far unproven in his case.

What are you talking about? :confused: Both tests are positive he cheated!

zahntech said:
Yes I did ride competitively a few years back. ...and the practice you discribe is called "Blood packing"..not "blood doping".

"Doping" is a slang term used to discribe any sort of chemical or homone enhancement.

Same difference, whether using hormones to stimulate red blood cell production or just injecting your own. It's different from testosterone.

Ski_Banker said:
Same difference, whether using hormones to stimulate red blood cell production or just injecting your own. It's different from testosterone.

I guess you don't read too good...

"Doping" is a slang term used to discribe any sort of chemical or homone enhancement."

and who said Landis was bloodpacking?...you brought that up...he was found to have synthetic testosterone in his system.

In case you didn't know Testosterone IS a hormone.

Ski_Banker said:
Fishy, or possibly from training at higher elevations? Please correct me if I'm wrong--but I thought that RBC was part of how the body adapts to altitude.

"Doping" is a slang term used to discribe any sort of chemical or homone enhancement."

Where is Hugh when you need him!:tongue:

zahntech said:
I guess you don't read too good...

and who said Landis was bloodpacking?...you brought that up...he was found to have synthetic testosterone in his system.

What is your point??? Symantics... Thank you for pointing out that testosterone is a hormone. Let me point out that nothing I wrote excluded "testosterone" from "hormone" - only that "testosterone" is not used in red blood cell production enhancement.

Do you care to revisit your egregious blanket statement that ALL competitive cyclists "dope??"

When you get done re-reading what I have posted, PM and we can sign up for a DeVry online reading course together, ok? Otherwise, I don't care to argue about this nonsense...

Tom239 said:
Fishy, or possibly from training at higher elevations? Please correct me if I'm wrong--but I thought that RBC was part of how the body adapts to altitude.

You're correct, RBC will slowly increase at higher elevations. It's why the U.S. Olympic Training center is in Colorado Springs at 6000 feet. Short term physiologicial adaptations are made beforehand though, which is why you feel so much "better" after just 24 hours in Colorado if you just flew there. Also why novice Ranier climbers are encouraged to spend a night at 10500 feet on Camp Muir, before tackling the last 4000 and running home. I don't know what the adaptations specifically are/do - maybe one of our MDs knows that. This doesn't relate to Floyd Landis though.

Ski_Banker said:
which is why you feel so much "better" after just 24 hours in Colorado if you just flew there.

I usually feel better because within 24 hours of flying into Colorado I've skied at least 20 runs at Vail. :)

Ski_Banker said:
Do you care to revisit your egregious blanket statement that ALL competitive cyclists "dope??"

Since I have been part of the competitive cycling world and you have (from what I can tell) not been. I think may have a little more insight into this topic than some.

If you want to continue to believe that pro sports and esp pro cycling is not filled to the top with performance enhancing drugs/hormones/supplements go right ahead.....I will continue to live in my egregiously cynical world.

Actually I knew people, 18-20 years old during my high-school/university year, taking doping for their amateur ciclying races.

And they were not alone, a good 80% was doing something like that eve if there was no money in it... ephedrine, caffeine for the weak ones / Erythropoietin and other steroids for the more risk-loving ones... :(

I've know MANY high-school athletes that have done steroids (big city - all disciplines - all encouraged by their coach). I also knew 5 college baseball players (at the university during my undergrad), every one of them did steroids. I'm am personally an avid lifter/gym rat; I've been approached at the university gym and at upscale suburban gyms a handful of times by somebody offering to sell me steroids. I have known several lifters who have done them openly and proudly. Personally I have never experimented, but I have done my own research. They are certainly not as harmful as the media would lead us to believe - nowhere near the level of alcohol and cigarettes. I don't think of them as necessarily bad (if controlled properly), just not for me. I do however feel that it is a good thing that these substances are illegal. The abuse of potent drugs like these, or use without thorough education, can cause sever damage to a persons body.

So when I read that another professional athlete was caught with steroids in their system, I am not shocked in the slightest. It's been my own life experience that most high-level athletes use these types of drugs - it is part of their subculture.

Back