flip up versus fixed headlights

I like them both, but prefer the look of the Flip-ups. I believe it is because it is NOT the same modern look of almost all other cars on the road today. I like the nostalgic look of yesterday as I listen to the Beatles and Beach Boys driving the nice curves around Lake Tahoe.

Either car is beautiful... but the flip-up version is more !

This is incorrect. Cost could be a factor, but hardly the only one. In the case of the NSX, it's unlikely to be a factor at all.

Nowadays, most cars are designed to be sold worldwide and need to comply with regulations in all markets. It's difficult to make pop-up headlights comply with pedestrian safety standards.

Thats correct

pedestrian safety and profit. Cars of the 80's 90's had more man hours and where much sharper in design and while cars of modern era have a rounded shape. More use of plastic have replaced metal to increase profit margins. Cars top speed went up because of a 6 speed transmission and increase from 3 to 3.2. IMO Headlight Aerodynamics changes are not sygnificant (if older models lights are down) newer headlights are more Protruded and less flush than older models(more drag). Aerodynamic changes to front bumper, side skirt and rear valence helped more to channel air smoothly.

Last edited:
This is incorrect. Cost could be a factor, but hardly the only one. In the case of the NSX, it's unlikely to be a factor at all.

Nowadays, most cars are designed to be sold worldwide and need to comply with regulations in all markets. It's difficult to make pop-up headlights comply with pedestrian safety standards.

Why do you think that 99% of all cars made since the beginning had fixed headlights ? It had NOTHING to do with safety standards, it was all about cost. Cost of the mechanism + extra labor cost to install and align everything. A fixed headlight is much simpler and faster to install and no warranty probs, therefore cheaper. These days safety standards may play a role but cost was the sole factor in the past and still is a major
factor.

pop up +1 - classic
but flush mount is sexy
I think the reason they change from pop up to fixed were about pedestrian safety standards,aerodynamic(for top speed) and less failure(headlight motor).

I prefer the pop-up look. One Prime member summed it up very well in an earlier thread when he said that the fixed headlights were an after-thought. They were basically fitted in the existing pop-up headlight space. On most cars, I prefer the fixed headlights. But they never did look right to me on the NSX because the front was not redesigned to incorporate fixed headlights (but the other way around). That is also why I believe they have that 'bump' in them. However, after seeing those Clear Corner LEDs in this thread http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87093, and seeing some of them painted to match the body color, I would definitely consider them if/when I begin to shop for an NSX.

The may have been an afterthought, but try fitting them into the 91-01 pop headlight space. They don't fit, because the hood on 02+ is different too. :wink:

Here, let me add some value to this thread with some pictures to help you decide:) I owned both versions in the past. Right now I dont have an NSX, but am in the market for the fixed headlight. Hands down my favorite, different, more modern. The pop up has a classic look, but just a bit antiquated for my taste. I will say the pop ups look awesome during the day. my 2 cents.

7608IMG_06211.jpg

7608IMG_06241.jpg

:frown: :frown: amazing picture...makes me want a 97-99 Kaiser Silver :redface: :redface:

anyone want to trade for an 05 silverstone? :wink: psyche.

yeah, no competition between kaiser and silverstone. honda should have never scrapped that color....kinda dumb to use the same silverstone on both the s2000, insight, and nsx....always bugged me

I'm 100% for the flip up lights. It gives the car a more "fast" look, especially from the side.

Flip up all the way!

down with pop up headlights. flush mount for me. :p

I was under the impression that safety regulations doomed pop-up headlights and that's no one has them any more.

IMO, the NSX just doesn't look right with fixed headlights.

I tend to agree. I also love the design of the recessed turn signal/park lights in the pre-02 cars. They took away one of the most aesthetically beautiful design features of the NSX when they changed the front. Even the profile looks wrong to me.

That's my $.02

I wonder: has anyone ever taken an 02+ car and "downgraded" it to flipups?

:biggrin:

I love the pop-up headlights. It is what the NSX had when I first saw one and was smitten by it, plus they have a friendly look to them when they are popped up. :smile:

I've always been a flip-up fan, but some are so hideous that they're kinda funny. When I had my Pantera, we used to joke that if you ever wanted to slow down fast, all you had to do was pop the "frog-eyes" and you have the near equivalent of a drag chute.

:smile:

Attachments

• BEFORE.jpg
    BEFORE.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 302
Like the flip up's!
Had (2) 65 Vette's (more of a slow roll up than flip)
I really like the NSX's as they almost snap up & down.:biggrin:

I like the flip up lights a lot more than the fixed headlights. Most of the people that I talk to also agree. The flip up has better lines and a sleeker look than the fixed headlights that kind of look like frog eyes from the side. The fixed headlights make the NSX look like a 3000GT when looking at it straight ahead and nobody on this forum prefers a 3000GT over a NSX. It kind of looks like Acura tried to copy the head lights of the newer Ferrari's but failed in making it look nice. And then the '05 and up Corvettes copied the NSX. I will say that the rear valence on the '02's and up look a lot better than the older models, but that's a whole different subject.

Just my opinion,
Jay

they both look good. you cant go wrong with either one.

what i loved about the pop-ups is the cool sound.
closest thing to making it a Transformer!

the NSX pop-up headlight was the only one that ever looked good compared to any other car maker with pop-ups in my true honest opinion

Not sure what you mean by this :confused:

Do you mean the Corvette copied the flush headlights from the NSX???

No, it was a conversion the other way around. I saw a posting on Prime, but can't find it right now. Maybe someone has it bookmark. There is an NSX with what looks like the new Corvette fixed head lights. It doesn't look bad (IMO).

Here are the photos:
DSC_3495.jpg

IMG_6291.JPG

Last edited:
The flip up lights on the pre 2002 nsx are not that bad compared to other cars with flip up lights. They are lower profile than the older corvettes. Either way, the car looks great with the newer or older set up.

one thing I have always liked about the flip up lights, the front end looks more tapered....and it looks shorter. has a different look from the side. I like the pop up versions bumper from the profile, but looking dead on, I LOVE the new front end....just has that Ferrari look...modern Ferrari that is.

I like both, but I think it's fairly obvious which I prefer lol...
IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

they both look good. you cant go wrong with either one.

what i loved about the pop-ups is the cool sound.
closest thing to making it a Transformer!

the NSX pop-up headlight was the only one that ever looked good compared to any other car maker with pop-ups in my true honest opinion

I agree 100%

Mohammed Ashik

Back