flip up versus fixed headlights

I had always preferred the "flip up" headlight models over the fixed headlight look, even though HID is nice... that said, from certain angles some 02+ models look really nice, from other angles, not as much...

... can anyone share some personal experience between how a 2001 (last flip up headlight model?) drives compared to the 2002 (and later) model refresh?...

... and what does NA1, NA2 refer to?... is NA2 the 1995 targa intro or the 3.2L upgrade in 1997? Thank you!

I think the NA2 is the 3.2 but not 100% sure. I personally bought a 2000 model for the flip up headlights w/the bigger engine, 6 sp and Targa.:wink:

Chris from Tacoma

stationary headlights grow on you- flip up looks older but many people like the classic look- even ferrari, corvette, and lambo changed

you get used to it even though its odd at first- my car is a 2000 with a 02+ conversion.
driving is no different- car is essentiallly the same (almost) from 1997 through 2005) most changes are cosmetic with leather changes, interior small adjustments, 6spd changes to the TCS...

But you need to search here on the forums you'll find all your questions answered already.

Slight changes, drove my 2000 compared to a 2005 back to back and noticed brakes felt a little better. Overall felt a bit 'tighter' all round.

Looks wise i change my mind all the time, but if i had to decide i'd go for the non pop up version as it looks more modern. However the pop ups are a defining thing about the NSX...arggh! Can't decide again ;)

I like the look of the flip-up lights when they are down. I would love to find a set of non-flip headlights that are flush with the hood ( like the flipups when they are down), I don't care for the bubble look of the newer headlights. But if they were smooth, I would be on it.

I think when the headlights are down the car just looks mean, sleek and ready to crush any of the 25000 vettes in my area.

My wife and I both agreed that we did not like the look of the exposed lights; so when we bought, we bought a 2001 and loved it. The car just looks sleeker in our opinion.

Haha...we're on the fence aren't we? I've got a 1991 and I prefer the 02 look but like another member said having the lights flush does make the car appear sleeker.

stationary headlights grow on you- flip up looks older but many people like the classic look- even ferrari, corvette, and lambo changed
I was under the impression that safety regulations doomed pop-up headlights and that's no one has them any more.

IMO, the NSX just doesn't look right with fixed headlights.

Flip Up lights are projection lights and when down are secure you need not worry about rock chips during daylight driving. Adds to the exotic look.

I have always preferred pop-up headlights (Vettes, Ferraris etc). Why distroy the body lines and color with headlights ?
The ONLY reason companies went to fixed headlights is COST. They are cheaper to make.

I love the pop-up headlights. It is what the NSX had when I first saw one and was smitten by it, plus they have a friendly look to them when they are popped up. :smile:

I prefer the pop-up look. One Prime member summed it up very well in an earlier thread when he said that the fixed headlights were an after-thought. They were basically fitted in the existing pop-up headlight space. On most cars, I prefer the fixed headlights. But they never did look right to me on the NSX because the front was not redesigned to incorporate fixed headlights (but the other way around). That is also why I believe they have that 'bump' in them. However, after seeing those Clear Corner LEDs in this thread http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87093, and seeing some of them painted to match the body color, I would definitely consider them if/when I begin to shop for an NSX.

flushed mounted lights for the win!!! the flush lights initially looked odd to me, but they definitely end up growing on people. The car looks so much more modern. Seeing a 02+ vs a pre 02 side by side, its not even a contest. The pre 02 looks era appropriate ( 80's design ) while the 02 + still looks modern even compared to todays example of exotics. Not to mention its more sleeker, and weights less. The Cd of drag from the older and new headlights are .33 vs .32 if i remember correctly, and the top speed went up from 168mph to 175 with just aerodynamic tweeks to the rest of the body.

The ONLY reason companies went to fixed headlights is COST.
This is incorrect. Cost could be a factor, but hardly the only one. In the case of the NSX, it's unlikely to be a factor at all.

Nowadays, most cars are designed to be sold worldwide and need to comply with regulations in all markets. It's difficult to make pop-up headlights comply with pedestrian safety standards.

I have the conversion on my 92 to the 02 update. I owned a 91 in the past w/the flip up lights. Initially, I didn't care for the fixed headlights but have to say it does "modernize" the car. I wouldn't go back to the pop up lights.

Jeff

I agree, it's inline with Honda's marketing practices (look at their Goldwing bikes - minimize any investment in product - make very minor changes that cuts production cost - introduce "new" color, and Shazam! - next years new model - naturally with a price increase!!:eek: )

I have always preferred pop-up headlights (Vettes, Ferraris etc). Why distroy the body lines and color with headlights ?
The ONLY reason companies went to fixed headlights is COST. They are cheaper to make.

Back