Firsthand experiences: NSX v. 355 Handling

For those who have driven the NSX and the 355, what is your opinion of how the two compare in handling (and only handling). I already know all the stats, so no magazine quotes/bench racing/heresay/speculation/etc...YOUR firsthand experience ONLY is what I am after. thank you

I have just the thread for you HERE. :D

Myself, haven't driven either to a 'spirited' enough level to really determine handling, but the NSX steering does feel much more responsive to me.

Last edited:
waldorf said:
I have just the thread for you HERE. :D

Myself, haven't driven either to a 'spirited' enough level to really determine handling, but the NSX steering does feel much more responsive to me.

Waldorf, thanks for trying...I had read that post previously--but I read it again. No mention of the 355's handling as compared to the NSX.

But since you drove a 355 Spider, why don't you tell me about its handling. :)

kgb_agent said:
Waldorf, thanks for trying...I had read that post previously--but I read it again. No mention of the 355's handling as compared to the NSX.

But since you drove a 355 Spider, why don't you tell me about its handling. :)

Well, the 355 I drove was a 97 Berlinetta F1 hard-top with the paddle shifters. The things I remember were that it sounded great, but I wasn't a fan of the paddles, and it had a little 'play' in the steering. I'm not sure if that was just something that needed to be adjusted or "the way it is", but it felt a little loose, if you know what I mean.

Like I said, I never took it on a track or slalomed with it or anything, so that level of handling, I can't really speak to. Maybe Bill (MyNSX) can since he has a 99 355 GTS and a NSX.

EDIT: Oh.. I also found this post. And this thread.

Last edited:
CETRO993 has both, maybe we can get him to make a post here for our enjoyment. Come on Cetro, I know you just took the Ferrari up to Santa Barbara last weekend. Give us your true impressions.

Having driven both a '91 NSX and '97 355 extensively on the street and the track, I can offer the following observations:

1. The 355 has the advantage in ultimate grip and corners flatter than the NSX. The tighter roll control also allows the 355 to be quicker through transitions.

2. The handling balance of both cars has been described as unforgiving, however I find both to inspire confidence because they communicate honestly and cleanly. Both will ultimately oversteer at the limit but you get lots of warning and they can be easily throttle steered in the lower gears. Both also do a good job of keeping understeer at bay.

3. Tire quality and condition are important to the handling of any sports car, however I found the 355's handling would become very lively (lots of oversteer) for the last third of the rear tires’ life.

4. The Achilles heel for the 355 is its steering. It's precise but lacks any real feedback and it’s also somewhat low geared. This combination makes for a tricky recovery from a slide, particularly at higher speeds. The NSX has slow steering too, but it’s so much more communicative and ultimately far more rewarding. I also like the way the steering effort loads up in the corners and in that sense the NSX reminds me of Porsche 911 with manual steering.

5. The last issue worth mentioning is the throttle tip in for the 355. This is a well-known problem that affects many if not most 355s and while there are many theories on the cause and its cure, it’s an irritant when trying to pick up the throttle at the apex of a corner.

Of course your mileage may vary.

I've driven both cars, and find their handling to be very similar to each other. In fact, the F355 handles more like the NSX than any other car I've driven.

Back