First test drive of an NSX this Saturday...

I have an appointment to test drive an NSX this Saturday. If my past is any indicator - if I like the way it drives I will buy one. A little history...
I am a long time "911 person". I liked the way the Boxster looked but thought it could not satisfy the driver side of me. I test drove one and within seconds I knew I had to have one and bought one shortly thereafter. So I now have a 911 and a Boxster. My responsibilities at work now require me to spend alot of time on the road, so my daily driver Boxster is getting worn out commuting. I need a change anyway. My thoughts are to sell both Porsches and get an NSX as a toy and some cheap convertible (Miata?) as a daily driver.
When you first drove your NSX how did the experience compare to what you were expecting?

http://www.myporsche.us/911/911.html

Oh, to answer your question. The first time I drove one I was 18. The San Diego NSX group was very cool and let me hang out with them while I drooled all over their cars. In 1997, I drove a Silverstone 1997 NSX-T. I tried to stay calm and mature because I was the only "young" one there. When pulling back into the driveway... I started to get giddy and I just couldn't hold it any longer. My mouth just blabberred it out... "Can you PLEAAAAAAASE let me drive it again? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE?!"

An incredible experience I will never forget. (And I have it on video!!!)

I still get that feeling everytime I see an NSX and drive my very own.

Before you put both your porsche's on the market, wait and see how you find the NSX after a few drives. If you're an NSX person, you'll be hooked forever... some people i know love the NSX, but also love the Porsche for different reasons...

...the NSX is the most exotic daily driver you'll ever hope to own. :D

(btw, i should add it is really refreshing to read a porsche guy trying out the NSX with an open mind & expectations... generally the X is looked down upon :( )

RE: generally the X is looked down upon

Why? I have considered late 70's Ferrari 308's, but the maintenance costs seem ridiculous. FWIW this car will not be a daily driver but rather a nice weekend toy. The "look down on" thing is interesting. There really is no such thing as "status". Status is a perceived thing. I am not one of "those people". As a matter of fact I would rather not be around "those people". In the realm of Porsche drivers I see 2 types - the drivers/DE people and the "jewelry people". You will meet the nicest people at a Porsche DE tech session or at the track (yes it amazed me too!). I never got to know the people who show up at monthly meetings in suits (why bother?). Anyway, it is not a status issue for me, rather a driving issue. I love the lines of the NSX. If it drives in a way that pleases me I will get one. Too bad I cannot afford to keep my 87 911 too for it is a beauty!

But it is time for a change.

Dennis, what dealer are you visiting? Just curious. I have looked at the blue 2003 at Bobby Rahal (intentionally wearing jeans and an old T-shirt) and 2 or 3 salesmen walked past me as if I wasn't in the room. They were all too busy with a yuppie couple who probably just bought a CL or something. They'd probably never give anyone a test drive.

Re: RE: generally the X is looked down upon

Dennis in SE PA said:
Why? I have considered late 70's Ferrari 308's, but the maintenance costs seem ridiculous. FWIW this car will not be a daily driver but rather a nice weekend toy. The "look down on" thing is interesting. There really is no such thing as "status". Status is a perceived thing. I am not one of "those people". As a matter of fact I would rather not be around "those people". In the realm of Porsche drivers I see 2 types - the drivers/DE people and the "jewelry people". You will meet the nicest people at a Porsche DE tech session or at the track (yes it amazed me too!). I never got to know the people who show up at monthly meetings in suits (why bother?). Anyway, it is not a status issue for me, rather a driving issue. I love the lines of the NSX. If it drives in a way that pleases me I will get one. Too bad I cannot afford to keep my 87 911 too for it is a beauty!

But it is time for a change.

I think you are going to be amazed with the NSX, I have owned a number of Porsche's and still own a '96 911TT, I enjoy driving the NSX more than any of the porsches. I have owned two NSX's, the first was a '91 and about two and half year ago I bought a '00 NSX-T. I love the open air driving of the targa but the handling doesn't compare to the coupe. I upgraded it to a coil over suspension and now it is the perfect car for me. I will guarantee you won't be disapointed with your test drive and it sounds like you will own one very soon.

Take care and good luck!

What dealer? The Car Store in Glenside PA, near Philly. I would be interested in input if anyone has had previous dealings with them. A black 91 with 11k miles. What number would you put on that?

If you can advise me, I am all ears. I am a newbie to the NSX world, though I have always admired the lines of the car. FWIW I am a Honda fan. I have owned many Hondas and Acuras and they were (except for the "early years") bulletproof.

I can sell my 911 cab for about what I paid for it. The Boxster - I will be taking a "hit" on that.

Hi, Dennis,

Before I purchased my NSX, I also looked at and test drove various 996 C2 and 993 C2. They are very nice cars: No question about it. However, they did not make my heart beat as much as NSX did. The day when I first drove an NSX, my heart was beating so hard even before I entered the car :)

Please see the following threads if you are confused...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9882

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5244&highlight=talk+me+out+of+porsche

You guys are going to be a bad influence on me. I LIKE THAT! :)
I will provide feedback after I drive the car. One issue I have is that I like convertibles/targas and they did not make such an NSX animal until '95 if I am correct. But I want to keep the numbers in the 30K range. I am looking forward to Saturday. Anyone in the Glenside, PA area want to join me?

[email protected]

yes it is a classic Porsche guy's email address. Is there such a thing for nsx drivers?

[email protected] ? :) yeah, I can do that!

I was a big Porschephile too. '89 911 Targa. I was at a dealer ready to write a check for a C4 and the dealer said that, before I bought the Porsche, I "really owed it to myself to at least test drive the NSX". Ten minutes later, I owned it! I've had it over 5 years now and I've never regretted a day of it.

Unless you count the day I hit that deer...

Dennis, have you checked out the NSX's for sale on this web site. If PA is anything like Maryland, there's not much of a selection to choose from. I just bought my 96 NSX-T back in January from a guy down in Florida. He had his listed on NSXPrime. In general, I think NSXPrime members are gonna be better to deal with than a car dealership (at least up here in the Northeast). Dealers in this area don't necessarily know a lot about these cars because they don't sell many.

Good luck on your search.

btw - Here's the link: NSX's For Sale

Hi Dennis,

Be sure to read the FAQ on buying a used NSX. It is full of excellent advice. Also, look at the pricing guide in the FAQ for info on what you should expect to pay for a 91. You may be able to find an NSX prime member who will look at the car for you too.

Regards
Dave

Hi, good luck with the test drive, and I DO think you'll be joining us. But here's some insight into what I expect you'll feel. Of course, I also had considered 911s and Boxters before getting my 1st NSX, and I had also already owned a 928 (early model, gotten very cheap) and a late model Supra.

The thing that is most astonishing to Porsche drivers, upon their first experience with an NSX, is how EASY & CIVILIZED it is just to get going with the thing. An NSX has a dual personality. In daily, low speed commute-type driving, including stop & go driving, it's very much like driving a low slung, hot looking, Honda Accord, although it is obviously much quicker and nimbler, it is as EASY as an Accord. Seriously! But once you get the engine revving at higher RPMs, it is transformed. Between 4500 and 5000 RPMs, your Accord will metamorphosize into a Ferrari. And once you spend time in the cockpit of an NSX, you will realize that the level of elegance and luxury has much more in common with a high end Mercedes or BMW sedan, than any Porsche does. In fact, the cockpit of the NSX will make the cockpit of a 911 remind you that there is some early Beetle in the Porsche's heritage. Now in NO WAY do I wish to denigrate the Porsche, because they are wonderful performance cars. But that is ALL they are. They are NOT luxury cars, and they are not exceptionally comfortable daily drivers - the NSX IS, all while also being an exceptional performance car. But do not be misled into thinking that any car this friendly CANNOT be as much of a performance car as a 911 or a Ferrari. The NSX CAN and DOES pull this trick off. Nothing else does, IMHO.

I was a big Porsche man too. Had 3 Carreras and visited Porsche factory a few times and every time drooling from start to finish. The local Acura dealer called me one day in 1998 to asked me to test drive a 1993 NSX. To be honest, I was not immediately impressed with the car, perhaps I did not push the car in any way. I wanted something different from a 911 and NSX fits the bill. I bought a 1992 a few months later and only then I realized how good the car was after driving it for a few weeks. The Ferrari 308 is a piece of trash. No comparison.
Steve

If you are ever up Wilkes-Barre way pm me and you can experience the very loud and rude bumblebee:D

Here's what happened..

I drove down to The Car Store in Glenside, PA. It was raining here today! I would not let someone test drive my 911 in the rain so I did not expect to be able to test drive the NSX. It turns out it was indoors behind another car anyway. It is a 91 with 11K miles and looks like absolutely brand new. I kind of want a targa actually, but this car is so nice I am considering it. It is Black/Ivory. FWIW this place has a few very nice cars. There was a Ferrari 355 Spyder that just arrived today. I will be in that area again on Tuesday and if the weather is decent he said to call him and he will have it outside and ready to go. Was I dissappointed I did not get to drive it? YUP! Was I conscious of how much work it would have taken to clean it up to showroom condition again? YUP!

By the way the 911 is up on EBay! :) If you know someone looking for a very nice 87 911 Cabriolet I have one for sale!

The next thing I need is an independant mechanic in the SE PA area that can check out an NSX for me when I decide to pull the trigger.

Thanks for your help so far.

And yes I will checkout the NSX Classifieds.

Bernie is an nsx master tech at Davis Acura in Langhorn Pa. you may want to give him a ring.

First Test Drive

Dennis,
To bad you didn't get to test drive it. I also think that once you drive it you'll soon be an owner. Like everyone said, it is gentle at low rpm like driving a regular honda but once you open it up to 8000rpm it is like a F1 car, screams and pull. It is exhilarating, words can't describe. One of the beauty of this car is that it truely is a daily driver and very reliable (unlike the early F car). Don't let the Dealer screw you and over pay for the 91. I know it has only 11K miles but make sure all the maintanence has been done ( timing belt , WP, etc.) it still is a 12 year old car.

Paul

Dennis,

The black/ivory NSX you went to look at is on Ebay right now, with about 2 days left on the auction. Bidding is over $32k right now.

Mike O
(from Porsche Pete's Boxster Board, and also an NSX owner)

Back