first spin

Hello
Just wanted to jump in here and intro myself. I have followed NSX's since I saw them first in Road and Track. Never really thought one might actually cross my path, but....
I took my first spin in my neighbor's black '90 NSX this week and was blown away. I loved it. I own a 07 Mustang GT convertible, a car I love, but is a kind of polar opposite of the NSX in almost every way. Very impressed with how well the NSX handled and how easy it was to drive. Now I have a the itch for one, but will need to pay off the stang and figure garage space for the NSX... and probably myself after my wife boots me out to go sleep with the cars :)
Cheers, Scott

I myself own a 1991 NSX and have been in love with this car since I was 14.

Glad to see you've had the chance to ride in one and its definately worth owning one for the driving satisfaction it provides.

If you're keen on learning more in the menu above you'll see the WIKI (like an encyclopedia of NSX information). Take a scroll thru that feature and I suggest clicking on the "all pages" option where you can pick and choose what sort of information you'd like to read. Everything from finding a NSX to modifications can be seen.

If you have any questions for owners like myself then feel free to post and we'll all answer.

Hopefully you join the club!

Jetpilot

Welcome and good luck in your search.

Yes there are 1990 Nsx's even in USA though they are titled as a 91 model year. Depending on the month of the car for example mine is a 01-91 build so I got an early one.

Here is a where the fun begins.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Main_Page

Oops, my bad. It was a low milage first production year, no power steering...so '01?

91-94 had no p/s. That wasn't added till 95 when the 'T' model come along to the best of my knowledge.
FYI, an NA1 deisgnation is for a 3.0L(manual or auto), NA2 is for 3.2L(97+MY manual trans only) and NOT the 02+ body style. You'll catch a lot of grief on here if you mispeak that terminolgy. Some folks REALLY hate it when those get confused.

Thank for the warmer welcome guys. I am certainly not a NSX expert so I appreciate the hints. When I looked up model years on Wikipedia it said 1990 was first year....maybe just in Japan?
I didn't understand the haters reference. Am I to infer there are NSX snobs??

Thank for the warmer welcome guys...
I didn't understand the haters reference. Am I to infer there are NSX snobs??

Haters. Snobs. Here???? Never!!! Just don't ask for a free Carfax so you can take it to your next street race. :wink:

Welcome to our home and enjoy your stay.

Mate there are all types here on Prime but nevertheless this site rocks. Like I said read up on WIKI and the Owner Discussion threads as you'll learn alot quickly.

Jump in!

No nsx snob here, in fact i think the NSX is very very mortal and I'm usually the one defending other cars. Glad you got a chance to drive a NSX, I never even got a chance to drive one until I was in the market for one. Glad you enjoyed the experience, it is very addicting.

Mate there are all types here on Prime but nevertheless this site rocks. Like I said read up on WIKI and the Owner Discussion threads as you'll learn alot quickly.

Jump in!

It is addictive. Gorgeous cars on here! I have spent two late nights looking at threads and photos, my wife figures I am nuts (again). Ownership is not a reality for a few years, however. I don't have the garage space and she gets the next new vehicle :mad:

Nice To See Another Canadian Is Looking To Get Into An Nsx.i Too Had A Mustang(not Covertible).and Although It Was Nice....the Nsx Truely Is In A Different League.come Up To The Pros...good Luck With Your Future Purchase...

When I looked up model years on Wikipedia it said 1990 was first year....maybe just in Japan?
Also Europe.

The first NSXs were sold at the end of the summer of 1990. In Europe, the model year of a car is determined by when it is first titled. So if it is built in 1990 and sits in a dealer showroom until it is first sold to a customer in 1995, it's a 1995 NSX. But if it was sold by the end of 1990, it's a 1990 NSX. I'm not sure how they determine it in Japan but I know they have 1990 model year NSXs.

When a car is built for sale in the United States and Canada, the model year is designated when it is built (and is identified by the 10th character in the VIN). Manufacturers have the option of designating a car built in year N as a model year N car, or a model year N+1 car. All NSXs built during calendar year 1990 for the U.S. and Canadian markets were model year 1991 NSXs. There were no NSXs built for the U.S. or Canada as model year 1990 NSXs; 1991 was the first model year here.

Also Europe.

The first NSXs were sold at the end of the summer of 1990. In Europe, the model year of a car is determined by when it is first titled. So if it is built in 1990 and sits in a dealer showroom until it is first sold to a customer in 1995, it's a 1995 NSX. But if it was sold by the end of 1990, it's a 1990 NSX. I'm not sure how they determine it in Japan but I know they have 1990 model year NSXs.

When a car is built for sale in the United States and Canada, the model year is designated when it is built (and is identified by the 10th character in the VIN). Manufacturers have the option of designating a car built in year N as a model year N car, or a model year N+1 car. All NSXs built during calendar year 1990 for the U.S. and Canadian markets were model year 1991 NSXs. There were no NSXs built for the U.S. or Canada as model year 1990 NSXs; 1991 was the first model year here.

Thanks, that was an excellent explanation. I will pass it on to the neighbor. He is an auto broker of some sort and I see Porsches, Mercedes and a litany of other nice cars pass through his driveway. I am hoping the NSX is a passing fancy and he will tire of it sitting in the garage and want to sell. What would a 25,000 mile '91 black NSX be worth?? Is it a collector vehicle more so than other years b/c of it being the first year of production?....that last sentence sounds like car sales man talk to me.

A clean 91 with all service records and major maintainance such as timing belt and water pump should fetch for low to mid 30's.

A clean 91 with all service records and major maintainance such as timing belt and water pump should fetch for low to mid 30's.

Thanks.
Does the car have any collector's appreciation due to rarity and originality model , or is that all in his head??
What would a H2o pump and timing belt service run from Acura.
Sorry for so many questions, just want to be well informed for the negotiation:biggrin:

the nsx has not atained true collector car status.The cars price is still based like any car on mileage/condition.The most rare of all the nsx is the 50 or so 99 zanardi edition as well as some non zanardi 3.2 liter coupes.Of course as with anything some sellers have high expectation and can argue for any price,but the market offers options.Unlike other exotic cars though the nsx has fewer mechanical disaster stories and we have 300k mile examples running around.The car is so well made that (unfortuneatly) there are some early examples running around with little maintanace and do need major service.So records are important.With early cars remember that service intervals are based on time as well as mileage.

the nsx has not atained true collector car status.The cars price is still based like any car on mileage/condition.The most rare of all the nsx is the 50 or so 99 zanardi edition as well as some non zanardi 3.2 liter coupes.Of course as with anything some sellers have high expectation and can argue for any price,but the market offers options.Unlike other exotic cars though the nsx has fewer mechanical disaster stories and we have 300k mile examples running around.The car is so well made that (unfortuneatly) there are some early examples running around with little maintanace and do need major service.So records are important.With early cars remember that service intervals are based on time as well as mileage.

I noticed that the wiki didn't say what the service interval for the timing belt is or how much it costs. Any idea?

Welcome to the epic journey brother! I own a black on black 91 and it is a pleasure to own and drive her:biggrin: As for others and their opinions - you are going to get lots of people who will look down at the NSX and question its value and supercar essence - Vette owners and Ferrari and Lamborghini people see the NSX in a different vein...but I see my car as she is...a hand-built spectacle that is as reliable as she is beautiful - and there is no possible way on this earth that I could afford to buy a car built today that is as beautiful and qualified as the NSX! I always get the old, "you should have bought a real supercar that comes with a V10 or a V12!"...well...with the gas prices sitting where they are...and the fact that they are going to go through the roof...it seems that the NSX boys have the ideal machine:biggrin:

Dam:cool:

God's spped all

Welcome to the epic journey brother! I own a black on black 91 and it is a pleasure to own and drive her:biggrin: As for others and their opinions - you are going to get lots of people who will look down at the NSX and question its value and supercar essence - Vette owners and Ferrari and Lamborghini people see the NSX in a different vein...but I see my car as she is...a hand-built spectacle that is as reliable as she is beautiful - and there is no possible way on this earth that I could afford to buy a car built today that is as beautiful and qualified as the NSX! I always get the old, "you should have bought a real supercar that comes with a V10 or a V12!"...well...with the gas prices sitting where they are...and the fact that they are going to go through the roof...it seems that the NSX boys have the ideal machine:biggrin:

Dam:cool:

God's spped all

There are a lot of Canucks on here:biggrin:
You bring up a good point and something that bugs me:mad: not to imply this on any of you here.
I am a car guy. I can appreciate a machine for its merits (and its faults) and do not have to look down my nose to judge others or make myself feel better b/c I have something with a certain engine or an emblem on the front. For example, I parked near a new Audi A8 last year and the guy was an a-hole snob who wouldn't talk to me about his car at all, went inside and hid. Many Mustang guys are weird like this too, they bleed Ford blue, and crap on you if you don't. I like my stang, but know it's limits. Sounds great, goes fast straight, but handles like...well you know. Still fun for what it has got.
The NSX blew me away on the first drive, I knew of the car but am not at all well versed in its history. I have no reserve in saying it is the nicest handling and easy to drive sports car I have driven so far in my life. Will another car surpass it someday? I hope so:biggrin:
I have owned Honda (Civic Si), have a Subaru (outback) and a Mustang. All very different cars, but all with their merits that serve me.
OK I am off my soap box :rolleyes:

Back