First President to skip ball honor medal of honor recipients....

Supposedly the Iraq budget went up this year.

Regardless, when a president, CEO, parent, etc failed to prioritized his job, not only shows his carelessness, but also youth.

As THE commander and chief of the world's most powerful military, he should have gone to the ball, considering never once a president missed that event, EVER!

No excuse.

Imagine you missed your kid's graduation ceremony because you're had to party with your friends.

Shame on what? Do you know what the "Commander in Chief Ball" is for? Obviously not.

I'm well aware of what the CIC Ball is and what it is for. And while the two balls in question are related through their ties to the military, and I certainly applaud his choice to attend the CIC Ball, that has little to do with my original post.

The reality is that the President has a finite amount of time. And he has to make tough choices about where to spend that time. I realize that and appreciate that. However, he chose to attend several other Balls which are arguably way less important for the President (for example the PA "home state" ball since Joe Biden was born in PA (although he only lived there a short time and as I recall represented Delaware in the Senate)). So yes... I say shame on him.

Come on guys...this is stupid. He went to 10 Balls that night...how can he hit every one? Obviously someone is going to be pissed, and 10-1 says it wasn't even his decision.

I agree that there are many other more important things to deal with in the world (war in Iraq, war in Afghanistan, the economy) but this isn't stupid. It's a choice to not pay respect to members of the armed services who EARNED this nation's highest honor.

And if it wasn't his decision... further shame on him. Isn't he the POTUS? Who is telling the most powerful man in the free world what to do?

"President Obama became the first president to host the “Neighborhood Inaugural Ball” in fulfillment of his promise to make the celebration open and accessible to Americans.

Great concept... not so great reality. How many "average" Americans actually attended that Ball? The guest lists that I've seen read like a who's who of film, TV, and recording artists. Maybe that's not entirely fair but spending time at a ball with Beyonce is less impressive to me than honoring our men and women who volunteer to serve this great nation.

Although President Obama was a no show, a World Net Daily January 24, 2009 article reported that the American Legion's media relations manager, Craig Roberts, said that Vice President Biden did make an appearance and was warmly received. Roberts went on to say, "The new President's absence was understandable considering the unprecedented logistical challenges presented by the vastly increased number of visitors to this inauguration and the necessary attendant security measures. The American Legion, as an organization, does not feel offended or 'snubbed.'"

That's because the AL has more class than to publicly state otherwise about the Commander in Chief. Do you honestly think the members of the Armed Services weren't at least disappointed that the POTUS elected not to attend and instead chose other balls?

Personally, I'm more concerned about the economy and the direction this country is headed.

I agree. And for the record... I was no huge fan of W either and I think the Republicans and Dem's are equally horrible. So don't be too quick to dismiss my ire as politically motivated.

But let me close with this... the change that I want to believe in does not include forgetting to honor and pay respect to our men and women in uniform.

I was listening to a radio program the other day, on a conservative station mind you, and they had a guy on that was in charge of some veterans affairs. He went on and on about how it was a war to ever get any help from the government in the past few years... and that after the election, he was shocked because someone from the Obama administration called and asked how they could be of help to HIM. I wish I knew what the guy's position was but I assure you he was very high up. He was certainly happier with the new administration.

I'm ashamed of how badly the previous administration treated our current military and veterans and I sincerely hope that this administration will be better. This story at least gives me a glimmer of hope.

Did you look at all the parties he didn't attend? You could make a case for almost each and every one of them and why they're so important and why he should have been at them.

Regardless, I think this President cares more about our troops than the last one. If you want to judge him by what parties he attends, that's fine...it's a free country. I'll be more concerned with his actions.

I've yet to see mention on his lift of the stem cell research ban on these forums... that to me is much more newsworthy.

I've yet to see mention on his lift of the stem cell research ban on these forums... that to me is much more newsworthy.
as is common to say these days, "my bad".

i, too, think that's a wonderful decision he's acted on!

That's because the AL has more class than to publicly state otherwise about the Commander in Chief. Do you honestly think the members of the Armed Services weren't at least disappointed that the POTUS elected not to attend and instead chose other balls?
wow - now you're speaking on behalf of the AL as they are "too classy" to say what they actually think.

a quick google shows they're quite capable of expressing their opinions:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q="american+legion+criticizes"

maybe you obama-haters could have a conf call and sort out your position on these kinds of things: vance implied the AL had no class and you say they have too much class to say what they think.

i think they're capable of speaking for themselves.

I guess my point is that I doubt it was a conscious effort to blow anyone off. I doubt he even had much say in his itinerary that night.

It's definitely not something to get up in arms over.... If it was Bush who missed the Ball I'd be saying the same thing. Obviously there are political overtones and mud slinging... people trying to make something more than it is.

Shall we list the other Balls that he didn't make it to that night? Do any of you even know what they are?

http://dc.about.com/od/specialevents/a/inauguralballs.htm

+1 I don't think this is a deliberate snub or is meaningful/newsworthy one way or the other. Cutting F-22 orders, however...

I was listening to a radio program the other day, on a conservative station mind you, and they had a guy on that was in charge of some veterans affairs. He went on and on about how it was a war to ever get any help from the government in the past few years... and that after the election, he was shocked because someone from the Obama administration called and asked how they could be of help to HIM. I wish I knew what the guy's position was but I assure you he was very high up. He was certainly happier with the new administration.

THAT is an interesting concept (although scary in some ways). An Obama-manned outbound call center that does nothing but call folks to "listen to their problems" and "personally tell them Obama's help is on the way".

Sounds like a fantastic and relatively inexpensive way to gain voters/popularity, based on emotion (a personal phone call) rather than fact (formulating an opinion based on actual policy decisions).

THAT is an interesting concept (although scary in some ways). An Obama-manned outbound call center that does nothing but call folks to "listen to their problems" and "personally tell them Obama's help is on the way".

Sounds like a fantastic and relatively inexpensive way to gain voters/popularity, based on emotion (a personal phone call) rather than fact (formulating an opinion based on actual policy decisions).
"a guy ...was in charge of some veterans affairs. "

i think most would look at it as a common-sense approach to connect with their customers and, hopefully, get things working again.

"a guy ...was in charge of some veterans affairs. "

i think most would look at it as a common-sense approach to connect with their customers and, hopefully, get things working again.

agreed. and no, I don't know if the admin is actually doing this, just that it would be a very slick political tactic that could be used responsibly (to gather information on what the public needs) or irresponsibly (to curry favor with households by appealing to their emotions).

What do you think ACORN does? Or the extra ~150k people that will now be employed by AmeriCorps?

Last edited:
agreed. and no, I don't know if the admin is actually doing this
ok, thx... just checking.

i'd consider the others you mention as potential topics for future rant-threads :)

(edit: to be clear, ski, i don't find you much of a "ranter"... and appreciate your approach to discussion. hal)

Did you look at all the parties he didn't attend? You could make a case for almost each and every one of them and why they're so important and why he should have been at them.

Did you even read my post? I clearly said that I understand that time is a finite resource and he can't be everywhere at once. I also said that he had a tough choice to make.

But to me... and this is only one man's opinion... electing to go the PA "home state" inaugural ball over the CMH ball in question was shameful. Hence my statement... Shame on him.

Regardless, I think this President cares more about our troops than the last one. If you want to judge him by what parties he attends, that's fine...it's a free country. I'll be more concerned with his actions.

I don't recall judging him. Nor do I recall comparing him to anyone. In fact, I made it very clear that I'm no fan of our prior President.

I do; however, stand by my statement shame on him for this choice. And by the way... isn't his choice to attend other balls which were arguably politically motivated vs. a ball to honor CMH recipients an "action"? I ask because you stated, and I quote "I'll be more concerned with his actions."

This has about as much to do with the topic at hand as it does with the price of tea in China at the moment. But for the record, I am all for his decision to lift the ban. President Bush II was way, way, wrong on this matter... IMO.

wow - now you're speaking on behalf of the AL as they are "too classy" to say what they actually think.

a quick google shows they're quite capable of expressing their opinions:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q="american+legion+criticizes"

maybe you obama-haters could have a conf call and sort out your position on these kinds of things: vance implied the AL had no class and you say they have too much class to say what they think.

i think they're capable of speaking for themselves.

Did you even follow the link that you set up? I didn't comb through every page but the first page of results did not indicate one instance of the American Legion criticizing the President.

As a rule (and there are exceptions to every rule) the AL, the VFA, etc. do not make a practice of publicly criticizing the POTUS. They may criticize and critique policies but they rarely "slam" the men in the chair. And my personal experience from a heavy military family is then the men and women of the armed forces also make an effort to not engage in that behavior when it is "for the record" or they are "in uni." because it's not generally considered proper etiquette.

Perhaps take a moment to read my post before you jump on your high horse and start blasting away.

I didn't vote for Obama, nor did I vote for McCain or Bush II. So please don't be so quick to lump me in one camp or another. But I won't change my mind for saying shame on Pres. Obama for this choice. IT was wrong.

And again... I think there are bigger fish to fry than this but the thread is about this question, isn't it?

But to me... and this is only one man's opinion... electing to go the PA "home state" inaugural ball over the CMH ball in question was shameful. Hence my statement... Shame on him.

Why are you assuming he "chose" one over another?

" "President Obama was invited but did not attend. Vice-President Joe Biden did appear, however, and was very warmly received. The new President's absence was understandable considering the unprecedented logistical challenges presented by the vastly increased number of visitors to this inauguration and the necessary attendant security measures. The American Legion, as an organization, does not feel offended or 'snubbed.'""

You know who else didn't attend the Ball? 51 of the 99 surviving Medal of Honor recipients.

(Before you get up in arms, obviously you'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt...but of course not our President...perhaps the shame is on you.)

Why are you assuming he "chose" one over another?
You know who else didn't attend the Ball? 51 of the 99 surviving Medal of Honor recipients.

Are you friggin' kidding me?

Should I assume he flipped a coin and let lady luck decide which balls he should attend? Or are you more comfortable with our newly elected President being under the powers of a mind control device that leaves him devoid of free will?

Of course I'm being sarcastic here but as the POTUS he has the ultimate authority to chose his own schedule. It is my understanding (and please prove me wrong) that even the Secret Service can't stop him from attending events when they believe the security threat is too high. It would be ill advised to over ride their recommendations but it's happened.

(Before you get up in arms, obviously you'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt...but of course not our President...perhaps the shame is on you.)

I'm not going to criticize a CMH award recipient for anything. Because he/she has EARNED that right. Maybe there were members who were sick... maybe they couldn't afford the trip because of financial or time constraints, maybe they're uncomfortable with the limelight and attention... maybe they suspected or heard that the POTUS wasn't going to attend and therefore decided to skip it... who cares? there are dozens of reasons why. And you know what? They don't need a reason.

We (including the POTUS) owe them the respect... not vice versa.

The shame is on you for being so bloody blind to the obvious. A few people in this thread have been quick to criticize so called "Obama bashers"... and your responses make me wonder if the reciprocal shouldn't also be said.

Should I assume he flipped a coin and let lady luck decide which balls he should attend? Or are you more comfortable with our newly elected President being under the powers of a mind control device that leaves him devoid of free will?

Of course I'm being sarcastic here but as the POTUS he has the ultimate authority to chose his own schedule. It is my understanding (and please prove me wrong) that even the Secret Service can't stop him from attending events when they believe the security threat is too high. It would be ill advised to over ride their recommendations but it's happened.

I'm not going to criticize a CMH award recipient for anything. Because he/she has EARNED that right. Maybe there were members who were sick... maybe they couldn't afford the trip because of financial or time constraints, maybe they're uncomfortable with the limelight and attention... maybe they suspected or heard that the POTUS wasn't going to attend and therefore decided to skip it... who cares? there are dozens of reasons why. And you know what? They don't need a reason.

The shame is on you for being so bloody blind to the obvious. A few people in this thread have been quick to criticize so called "Obama bashers"... and your responses make me wonder if the reciprocal shouldn't also be said.
de hapa,

points taken, thx.

seeing as i was the one who said "obama hater", i'll take the heat on that one.

my take is he had a list of events to attend and prioritized them as he saw fit. (clearly) it was his decision to make and he made it differently than some would have done. (personally) i don't see it as a huge slight - and believe there is no shame in his decision - but that's just my take. (btw, i suspect there are many "valid" reasons for cmh holders not attending, including those who may not have supported / were resentful of the outcome of the election; i believe respect is a two-way street, including cmh holders for potus.)

but, i am with you in that i believe all vets deserve our respect and support, period... and "highly" decorated vets more than the rest of us.

hal

Last edited:

I don't believe Dr.Volkl or anyone else on this thread is arguing that Obama does not owe the respect to the CMH award recipients. In fact, shouldn't it be reasonable to assume that the POTUS and the majority of society already have that respect for military personnel? Does the mere fact POTUS didn't attend the ball mean he does not respect the CMH recipients? For the same reasons you can't determine why some of the recipients didn't attend the ball, we obviously can't assume why POTUS didn't attend the ball either.

Last edited:
my take is he had a list of events to attend and prioritized them as he saw fit. (clearly) it was his decision to make and he made it differently than some would have done. (personally) i don't see it as a huge slight - and believe there is no shame in his decision - but that's just my take.

hal

Hi Hal -

That's the great thing about this country and this forum (thanks Lud). We can agree to disagree but engage in discussions like this.

Like I said several times before... there are bigger fish to fry. I personally find the choice to not attend several other balls (which I'm sure all have their own merits) over this ball to honor those that have already given so much distasteful... and yes... to me shameful. But our men and women in the armed forces probably mean more to me than some others and there's nothing wrong with that.

In fact, shouldn't it be reasonable to assume that the POTUS and the majority of society already have that respect for military personnel?
I'd like to think so and to be honest... I do think President Obama respects the military... but given the behavior I've seen from many of my fellow Americans I do not assume that all of us respect military personnel the way we should.

Does the mere fact POTUS didn't attend the ball mean he does not respect the CMH recipients? For the same reasons you can't determine why some of the recipients didn't attend the ball, we obviously can't assume why POTUS didn't attend the ball either.

The answer to your first question is no.

However, his choice to attend other balls which are arguably politically motivated (why else would he attend the ball for PA) was disrespectful and again... in my opinion shameful.

President Obama ran on an inspiring message of hope and change. Some change I would have appreciated in this instance was choosing to do what is right vs. what was politically important.

And again... at the risk of beating a dead horse... I'd feel the same way if the President in question were Republican, Libertarian, Communist, or anything else.

:smile:http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/did_obama_snub_medal_of_honor_recipients.html

Obama is the first president since Eisenhower to miss the American Legion's Salute to Heroes ball. A Legion spokesman says it "does not feel offended or 'snubbed,'" and Medal of Honor recipients were invited to the Commander in Chief's ball, which Obama did attend.

It is true that Obama did not attend the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball, and that his absence broke a 14-inauguration streak. Vice President Joe Biden did attend the ball, showing up around 11:30. American Legion spokesperson Craig Roberts told FactCheck.org that the president, vice president and first lady have all traditionally attended.

The American Legion released two statements on the matter, saying that "The Legion does not feel offended or 'snubbed' by the President’s failure to appear," expressing gratitude for Biden's appearance, and adding that "there are much more important issues to dwell on."

We reproduce both statements here, just as they were e-mailed to us from the Legion:

Original statement from American Legion National Adjutant Dan Wheeler: The American Legion, as it has on every inauguration evening since 1953, hosted the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Banquet & Ball on January 20th . The quadrennial event is co-sponsored by fourteen veterans service and military service organizations and honors recipients of the Medal of Honor. Forty-seven of these heroes attended this year’s event. President Obama was invited but did not attend. Vice-President Joe Biden did appear, however, and was very warmly received. From The American Legion’s point of view, the new President’s absence was understandable considering the unprecedented logistical challenges presented by the vastly increased number of visitors to this inauguration and the necessary attendant security measures. The National Adjutant of The American Legion states that, as an organization, The Legion does not feel offended or “snubbed” by the President’s failure to appear.

Second statement from Mr. Wheeler, Jan. 26, 2009: We extended an invitation as we always do. There are numerous Balls and we know he can’t attend them all. Of course, we would have loved for him to make an appearance, but he didn’t. It’s a logistical nightmare. He did meet with the troops at the Commander In Chief’s Ball, and we are grateful for that. Our Ball wasn’t about the President; it was about the Medal of Honor recipients and the veterans and families who were there. We are grateful that the Vice President appeared, and our guests were very appreciative.

That having been said, there are much more important issues to dwell on, which we intend to do. We look forward to working with the new administration on ensuring full and guaranteed funding for VA health care services, and the very best treatment for our service people who have been wounded, and on the quality of life of all members of the Armed Forces and their families, as well as the maintenance of a national security force that will deter any enemy from considering an attack on America.

We have asked the White House for comment on this matter, and will update this article should we receive a response.

Update: Shortly after we posted this story, we heard from Josh Earnest of the Presidential Inaugural Committee. He told us that the president only attended the 10 official balls organized by the PIC. (The Salute to Heroes is organized by the American Legion and is unofficial.) But, Earnest told us, "in order to show due respect to the Medal of Honor winners, they were special guests at the Commander in Chief's ball," which the president attended early in the evening. Earnest didn't know how many Medal of Honor recipients accepted the invitation to the Commander in Chief's ball, which is primarily targeted to military personnel, but added that the PIC also subsidized hotel rooms and provided ground transportation for the recipients while they were in DC. We've updated our answer summary accordingly.

Update: Shortly after we posted this story, we heard from Josh Earnest of the Presidential Inaugural Committee. He told us that the president only attended the 10 official balls organized by the PIC. (The Salute to Heroes is organized by the American Legion and is unofficial.) But, Earnest told us, "in order to show due respect to the Medal of Honor winners, they were special guests at the Commander in Chief's ball," which the president attended early in the evening. Earnest didn't know how many Medal of Honor recipients accepted the invitation to the Commander in Chief's ball, which is primarily targeted to military personnel, but added that the PIC also subsidized hotel rooms and provided ground transportation for the recipients while they were in DC. We've updated our answer summary accordingly.

I withdraw 100% of my earlier comments about shame on the President. These new developments render my earlier ire worthless.

Good for you President Obama.

Last edited:
When was this? Jan?
Just posting it now?

He's done worse things since... Move on buddy!

You're kidding aren't you?? As a veteran, I'm insulted, by you and our President. Makes no difference when the event took place, its the deliberate snub which created this thread. Is it no surprise something like this is hidden within the press? More and more will be revealed, such as the President telling CEO's the only thing between them and the linch mob is ...... "him"?

Get a grip on his actions, no matter when they occur.

So let me get this straight, instead of attending the Ball as a tradition, he invited those to attend another ball so they can be honored?

OK... Let me go to a baseball game instead of the basketball game, while at it, I'll invite the basketball players to miss their game to attend the baseball game with me. Mhhhh.

Joe Biden went? That is a bigger insult. He's probably the most military hating member of the democratic party.

Back