Finding the One NSX

Ski_Banker said:
Like the username...very Tony Robbins. He'd also approve of the yellow/yellow NSX - like a bright blazing streak of happy sunshine charging down the freeway! :eek: :biggrin:

(j/k :smile: )

Thx...I guess. :smile:
Just a motto I sort of created for myself 10-12 years ago. Use it in work, play, and getting my wife. That venture took me 9 mos. of convincing before she went on the 1st date. That was over 6 yrs ago. Maybe I'm just a bad salesman? Never looked at that way. :eek:

Actually the kids and wife picked out the color combo. Once the funds are there it's mine but I'm required to get something on the rare color side. No more black in particular. We have 2 black cars and 1 white right now.

I'll be here as a member ASAP. Just got a few things to buy before another fun car.

Sorry for the hijack...Back to the real thread. NSX NSX NSX NSX :biggrin:

What you started out looking for: supra tt/nsx
What you endded up looking for: supra tt/nsx
How many you looked at: one of each
Where did you travel to: LA, CA
how long did you look: look at car for half an hour otherwise if you mean time searching for a NSX was about 3 months period

I wanted one of these fabulous cars since I first laid eyes on it in 1990. The president of the company I was working at bought a red one and paid 85K for it new. Fast forward 15 years to 2005.

Started looking last year. Kept my eye out for a 1991 Black on Black since then. Got really serious in the last 3 months. I only wanted to spend around 30K but wanted the mileage to be under 60K. The car had to be very close to bone stock, no engine mods or accidents for sure. I think the car is exquisite the way it is.

Kept looking on Autotrader, Cars.com, vehix.com and was very dissapointed on what was available. Lots of Salvage titles, high mileage cars. A co-worker pointed me to NSXPrime. I found one in Denver two weeks ago and flew there and drove it back. It is stock except for RM (B&B) exhaust and Volk wheels. The car is awesome and it was a fun adventure. Thanks NSXPrime!

Patricio said:
What you started out looking for
1994 Manual with black interior, preferably white or green
Patricio said:
What you endded up looking for
White/Black/Manual 94s, Silver/Black/Manual 93s
Patricio said:
How many you looked at
Hundreds online, only 5-6 in person
Patricio said:
Where did you travel to
Mississippi, from Tennessee
Patricio said:
How long did you look
Drooling for years, seriously shopping for about a few months.

What you started out looking for:
87 - 89 Porsche 911 Carrera

What you endded up looking for:
Made offer on a 89 911 Carrera in BC which was refused

How many you looked at:
Looked at approx 25 911s before I bought the first NSX I had seen in person.

Where did you travel to:
Edmonton and Vancouver for 911s ... 4 blocks from home for the NSX

how long did you look
4 months for 911s ... 2 hours for the NSX

A couple of summers ago I decided to change careers and take a few months off before getting back to work. To help me pass the time I felt that I needed a sports car and have always liked the 911 Carrera (still do).:wink: I started off with a budget of $30,000 (car + any work it may need) hoping I could find a good car. I did extensive reasearch before starting my search and after 4 months of looking I was getting pretty discouraged since most cars I saw were in need of major work or priced higher then I wanted to spend. I soon realized I would have to spend a bit more if I wanted a good car and ultimately made an offer on a nice 89 911 with approx 130,000 kms at a dealer in Vancouver.

During my search I was keeping a few friends I had met at the local dog park entertained with my quest for a sports car. Nearly ever day they would ask how my hunt was going and I would fill them in on the cars I had recently seen. An elderly woman I got to know quite well mentioned that her husband liked cars and although he passed away a few years ago she still had his 91 NSX and 63 Jag. The day I mentioned that I had made an offer on a 89 911 but it looked like the dealer was not going to accept my offer she asked me if I would be interested in the NSX. She said it was time to let it go, especially to someone who would enjoy the car as much as her husband did. Quite frankly I hadn't really given the NSX much thought as I didn't think I could afford one and the only one I had seen in real life was hers under the car cover. She offered it to me at a good price (less than what I offered for the 911) so I jumped at the opportunity.

That's how I became the proud owner of a red/black 91 NSX with 9300 kms two years ago.:biggrin:

My story:

The story of how I came to blow a retarded amount of money on a car at such a young age.

First off, I've been a DSM guy since I was 8. My dad brought home a 1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD right off the showroom floor. It was black, new and gorgeous. I waited 9 long years before I even got behind the wheel of that thing; unfortunately it was only 2 months before both the engine and tranny crapped themselves within a week. It was sold for $3500... no engine or tranny in it.

So in 2003, naturally, as my first car, I wanted a Talon. I spent time looking through autotraders, the internet, ebay, anywhere to find one. I finally picked up my '95 Talon TSi AWD in the summer of 2003.

Holy lemon. It crankwalked the first day I owned it. $2300 bucks later (and a month and a half of being a hangar queen at West Side Mits) it was back on the road. A week later, the cam angle sensor went. 900 bucks. I was... slightly frustrated. But things started looking up after that, and I finally got through a month without towing it. I started to mod it in the summer of 2005 and was making substantially more money (Brinks vs. Safeway) than I was in 2003. Insurance was down, my pay was up and life for my DSM was looking quite good. It is easily a 12 second car with a simple AFC right now.

Alas, I made the mistake of checking ebay for NSXs in November 2005; just for fun. I've always loved these cars. The underappreciated exotic. Kind of like the DSM in the sport compact world.

25-30K US for a nice one. Uh-oh. Gears clicked, hamsters started running and I wrapped my head around a lot of poles to try and figure out how to afford this one. I'm not a rich guy. Usually, these cars are owned by those that don't have any second thoughts about their financial situation. Not my case.

Rent, food and a car are all priorities. So, I put the car up a couple notches. Started working 65+ hours a week to build up some reserves. Double shifts, triples shifts and I even went one shift where I punched in Tuesday night and punched out Friday afternoon. I didn't go home for 4 days. I highly doubt it was even legal.

I joined www.nsxprime.com I found that there was a small, young group of owners who really couldn't afford this car, but made it happen anyways. So I figured, what the hell? You only live once, so why not?

So I found a few I liked. E-mailed, bargained, put my first car, my baby, up for sale. Some of the ones I liked sold quickly.

Then I found the one I bought. In Houston, Texas. You really couldn't get further away from Edmonton... I'm pretty sure Anchorage, Alaska is closer.

2600 mile drive home.

Perfect.

E-mailed called and PM'd over Prime for a month while I waited for someone to snatch up my Talon. It finally happened and I flew down to Houston with my dad. Met up with Jim (MegaZap on here) and went to his place from the airport.

We opened up the garage, and there it was. So clean. You could eat off it... :eek:

He started it up and I was surprised at how loud the car was. (straight-piped) *Queue big grin*.

Did the paperwork the next day and on April 15, three days before my 22nd birthday, I had my name on my NSX registration.

3 days later, we were home in the driveway.

It's September now, I'm havin' a blast.

Wanted to spend no more then $30k. Mileage didn't matter as I drive ALOT anyways. Wanted it to be anything but Black, Red, or Green. 2 years ago I saw a 93 Silver NSX with 108k miles going for $28,500. Then saw a 97 Acura NSX in Kaiser Silver with 112k going for $30k on ebay about 1 hour away from me. Took the drive, inspected it... saw it needed the basics (Front Chin missing, 96.5 on Radio didn't play, Moisture in the Tail Lights, Rear Trunk Shocks, New Rotors and Pads, New Tires, etc. 90k Service inlcuding Water Pump, Clutch, Valve Adjustments etc where done. Car did 80k of most of its miles in 4 years... which made me comfortable. Had a K40 Radar installed. Won the Auction at $31,700. Color Combo was perfect, and exactly what I wanted.

I ended up getting it for a real low price, put about $15k into it (mostly Mods :) ) and its been perfect ever since (minus a dealer error - not body work related.) Cars been accident free (although driver's side door painted due to a key scratch.)

It now has 130k+ and the following mods:

Car Mods are as follows

1) Suspension
- NSX-R Front Sway Bars
- Zanardi Rear Sway Bars
- NSX-R Front Frame Stabilizer Bar Set
- Dali Racing Rear Chasis Stabilizer Bar
- Daves Non-Compliance Front Clamps
- Bilstein Shocks
- Eibach Springs

2) Driveline
- NSX-R Dual Disc Mainshaft Conversion