Finally Got my NSX!

After a lot of hard work and many hours searching, i finally got it!!

1991 Red 5-speed 69k miles.

here is the original listing http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...rmula-Red-Ivory-JH4NA1154MT002422-Cape-Cod-MA

Let me say first off the car is an absolute blast to drive. I managed to enjoy a 250 mile back roads trip on Fathers day! Just Amazing!

just like any other used car there are some gremlins that i have become familiar with.

First off

I am having some sort of Hesitation/Stutter anywhere under 3k RPM, then its almost like a light switch at 3k, it instantly runs fine the rest of the way up the RPM's! Few things popped into mind. Dirty MAF or bad plugs or ignition. Come to find out this car has no MAF??? which is fine with me... and a little research shows coils might be an issue, especially how old the car is. Fresh 93 Gas was filled with no change in sputter.

Radio is JUNK, passenger speaker hums and it seems only the drivers door speaker works?? i need to do some research and see how many speakers are in the car factory.

then the normal seat bolster tear that will be getting fixed soon, locally, the rest of the leather is in great shape. I want to keep as much of this car OEM as possible.

car shakes at a little at highway speeds and a lot at higher speeds. no left to right shaking and not during braking. Flat spots seem to be the culprit, car sat on cardboard for half the year for the last 15 years.

i reinstalled the OEM shifter knob and what a difference, the stock so much more comfortable. the MOMO is FOR SALE!

hundreds of very tiny rock chips on front end. looks more like dust and not as noticeable as you would think.

And what ever brake pads are in the Front calipers (Project Mu was advertised) create so much brake dust, i need something that will keep the wheels cleaner on 50 mile rides. Car stops on a dime though.

I think that's it. Can't wait for some more seat time!20140615_164249.jpg20140615_164158.jpg20140615_163831.jpgNsx.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations, I cant speak for your issues as i have not had them but i am sure others will be along that could offer some insight.

Congrats.

The speakers have their own amps and the amps are known to go (my DS speaker doesn't work). Check out "http://nsxe-repair.com/" I believe "BrianK" on NSXPrime runs this repair service. I've only heard excellent things.

Have your car aligned. A misalignment and the flat spots can give shudder. The manual steering lets you feel every little shake.

A note re: alignment, search around here, but I believe most NSX owners have their cars aligned to some later MY specs. I think 91 and 92's called for 6 degrees of toe in. That will shred your tires in no time. Some even run zero toe.

You should be able to get a bottle of touch up paint from your local dealer, < $10. Check the NSXPrime wiki for your paint code. I think formula red is: R-77

Enjoy (and drive) your new car. 69K miles is just breaking it inI've got double, and some have even more!

Cheers, and welcome to a great community.

Lucas

hesitation is prob bad gas you said it sat for a year prob the reason.
there are 4 speakers 1 in each door, 1 sub at passenger foorwell, and the rear center they need to all be removed and sent to BrianK for repair.
if its not the tires then it needs an alignment, or if you are braking and it shudders then you need new rotors or have then turned.
OEm shift knob is the best those tear drop junk, balls, junk stick with OEM it will never do you wrong.
Rock ships happen even to the lowest of miles, I have a green NSX in my shop right now with 32,000 miles its looks like it drove behind a semi truck filled with sand get it painted this is the one place resray is OK when it coes to future buyers.
again aftermarket brake pads are good for stopping power but when you have to clean them every tiem you drive the car what the real point? I mean to track the car and have better pads is one thing but anything else Use OEM will never fail you inless you track the car in that case you will get fade and shudder
goodluck pics or its still a dream

- - - Updated - - -

to the spelling Nazi's F off

Thanks for the reply! The gas is long gone! he also said he used stabilizer. i am going to go through the receipts he gave me and see if the fuel filter, coils or spark plugs were ever changed. i also just spotted an oil leak :mad:. i look down to a 9"-10" round wet spot. sure enough its oil and i have a 2 inch spot in the new spot that i just parked it. dam car is to low, i can't even get under it and no oil change place has been able to accommodate the car, being so low it won't fit on the lift. also can't go to my favorite full service interior/exterior car wash anymore...'

I also for got to mention all the damn bangs and squeaks when hitting bumps. i think the stock struts are toast and the control arm bushings are making the squeak noise.

hesitation is prob bad gas you said it sat for a year prob the reason.
there are 4 speakers 1 in each door, 1 sub at passenger foorwell, and the rear center they need to all be removed and sent to BrianK for repair.
if its not the tires then it needs an alignment, or if you are braking and it shudders then you need new rotors or have then turned.
OEm shift knob is the best those tear drop junk, balls, junk stick with OEM it will never do you wrong.
Rock ships happen even to the lowest of miles, I have a green NSX in my shop right now with 32,000 miles its looks like it drove behind a semi truck filled with sand get it painted this is the one place resray is OK when it coes to future buyers.
again aftermarket brake pads are good for stopping power but when you have to clean them every tiem you drive the car what the real point? I mean to track the car and have better pads is one thing but anything else Use OEM will never fail you inless you track the car in that case you will get fade and shudder
goodluck pics or its still a dream

- - - Updated - - -

to the spelling Nazi's F off

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations, I cant speak for your issues as i have not had them but i am sure others will be along that could offer some insight.

thanks!

Congrats, enjoy in good health. Best purchase ever that will constantly put a smile on your face.

I just bought mine about 1 year ago, had very similar issues/concerns, here's my 2 cents:

DON'T put the factory touch up paint on your TINY rock chips, you'll just blob-up your hood.... get Dr. Colorchip for the tiny rock chips, it works GREAT! (the factory touch-up paint would probably be good for larger damage areas)

If you don't track the car (like me), Hawk HPS pads are great in my opinion. Quality, quiet, little to no dust.

A lot of new owners send their fuel injectors to RC for a cleaning and re-calibration. http://www.rceng.com/Fuel-Injector-Cleaning-P43C0.aspx

Definitely get the alignment, their machine will tell you how "off" it was. If it wasn't that off, then of course tires/rotors would be your next course of action. If you get all 3 and it's still wobbly, you have more issues that is beyond my level of tech-advise.

DON'T let those "full service" car wash places wash your car! They use their wash rags on car after car so they are full of debris that cause swirl marks... same with their drying towels. I don't know, all of us are different... but I would never let anyone touch my paint with their un-clean materials! Even when my car is at a shop for service, I put stick-it notes around the car that say not to wash or even wipe the car off, I don't care if they get it dirty DON'T wipe it off, I will do it when I get home! LOL

i jacked her up yesterday, the oil leak is drivers side axle shaft seal, spitting everywhere from rotation. it seems the valve cover gasket is seeping also. they were changed less than 4000 miles ago though, then again so were the axle boots and seals.

car has aftermarket sway bars also. gray in color, with red poly inserts.

Congrats , the car looks great! Enjoy!

Definately get yor fuel injectors cleaned and 0-rings replaced.
Coils can get water on the rear bank so be careful when washing the back near the rear window garnish.

I would have BrianK rebuild the factory speakers and just add an I-pod adapter while you have the console out.

Back