FD3 Single Turbo encounter this morning.

This is one of the strangest encounter I have ever had. The owner was cool, exchanged thumbs up on the way home. FD has always been my top 2 favorite cars, I happend to made the same comment at the meet just 40 minutes prior to the encounter. The owner seems to be pretty cool too.

I was driving with Evof575gtc following from behind in his NSX. There were A slow car in front of us, so I switched to left lane to pass, then there is a FD3 in right lane in front of the slow car.

I wasn't sure if he would run, so I just took off slowly, usual idle off the lline take off but I was ready in case he punch it, he did not took off so I thought no run for sure, I am already in front so I partial throttle shifted to 2nd gear at 25~35mph.

Next thing I know is the sound I am all too familiar with, I guess he decided to go suddenly, that sound sent a chill down to my spine. The turbo spooling whistle, you hear the spooling sound first, car doesn't move, then sudden take off. Too late for me, wrong gear at the wrong time. when I heard the turbo spooling, I knew its too late, way out of power band, ~3k rpm in 2nd, he got at least 1.5 car on me after his turbo hits. Surprisingly he did not gain any distance afterward shortly after I went full throttle, I did slowly made up the distance and ended up pulling ahead on top of 3rd. This is by far the ugliest encounter I have ever had. The run is not really all out on both cars, I felt both cars only gave 75% effort, so I call it even. Evof575gtc witnessed the whole thing. The run ended in 4th gear.

We then curised together for 20 minutes. I took the pic one handed on the way home:

Love it!:biggrin:

I wounldn't really worry about getting pulled on by a FD3S.

A well running modified FD is kind of out of the league of a NA NSX in performance terms. Its also comparing oranges to apples, as forced induction to NA plus a FD is about 500lbs leaner than the NSX.

SchuttsR1 said:
I wounldn't really worry about getting pulled on by a FD3S.

A well running modified FD is kind of out of the league of a NA NSX in performance terms. Its also comparing oranges to apples, as forced induction to NA plus a FD is about 500lbs leaner than the NSX.

Our guy aint running NA:biggrin: Blown, lean and mean:tongue:

Hey jason, was it an older asian guy driving it? it looks like my buddys car, hes probably on his way to 7stock today over at the mazda building. ill be headed over there in a little bit. Ill bring the nsx to crash the party, the rx7 will sit at home :biggrin:

MRJdmNSX said:
Hey jason, was it an older asian guy driving it? it looks like my buddys car, hes probably on his way to 7stock today over at the mazda building. ill be headed over there in a little bit. Ill bring the nsx to crash the party, the rx7 will sit at home :biggrin:
Tony,
Young asian guy, 25~30, then again, some Asians look younger than actual age. If you recognize the dual tips. Probably is your buddy, ask him for the spec of his FD3, would you? I got his plate # on the non photochopped pic.

You need to head over to the RX-7 meet soon. I never seen so many FDs in 1 place. Rotary heaven.

One thing I didn't mentioned is that I did end up in front of him and in his lane, as we both had to enter the freeway. I had to slam the brake during entry and prepare for the curve. That was bad, if I was in Supra, I would not had made it for sure.

nsxsupra said:
I had to slam the brake during entry and prepare for the curve. That was bad, if I was in Supra, I would not had made it for sure.

I dunno Jason, the thing that impressed me the most about my Supra was it's brakes in stock form. Felt stronger than any of my other cars.

Nice run with the FD. I really like them too. Light and agile and the single turbo ones are the complete package. 420+ RWHP isn't unusual for tuned, single turbo ones. Your car loks killer in the avatar by the way :)

Vendetta said:
I dunno Jason, the thing that impressed me the most about my Supra was it's brakes in stock form. Felt stronger than any of my other cars.
Paul,
you are right, the stock brakes on the Supra have amazing stopping power.

I meant if I were to enter the curve at same speed on both cars with braking already done during pre-entry. I have never came this close to the edge of losing the car. I made a really stupid mistake this morning, the NSX saved my ass.:redface:

that is one clean look FD.

Back