FD dilemma

My top choices are
1.NSX
2.Skyline GT-R34
3.Mazda RX-7 Gen 2 and 3
4.Toyota Supra TT
5.Datsun 510 2 door

For Daily beaters I would want evo, wrx, mr2 turbo, s2000

Those would make great collections for japanese imports to have.

im really glad to see this thread, this is my dilema but replace gsx with turbo civic. but for me i only think i want an rx7 when at home, and comparing the cars in pictures and what not, when i see the cars in real life, rx7 does nothing to me, NSX makes me explode in and scream literally , " OMG NSX " even if im going to a car show and KNOW im gona see one.. i ono its like a reflex, i guess its the NSX's aura ^^. :biggrin:

Nice taste in cars, I have owned all except the Skyline. Sold my FD and Evo over the weekend, funny both buyers names were James. If you get the FD do your "reliability mods" and you'll most likely be good to go.

Anosa, which was your favorite of the pics I sent you???

ediddynsx said:
My top choices are
1.NSX
2.Skyline GT-R34
3.Mazda RX-7 Gen 2 and 3
4.Toyota Supra TT
5.Datsun 510 2 door

For Daily beaters I would want evo, wrx, mr2 turbo, s2000

Those would make great collections for japanese imports to have.

I DreamnNSX said:
The Fd can be a very reliable car, as reliable as any other car if done right.... With a mild street port, seals, a good tune and about 2-4k in mods you should have a very drivable 12 second car..

I'm not sure if your friend told you this or not, but its just not true. I owned an FC and and FD before buying my NSX. I used to go to the club meets and hear that "FD can as reliable as any other car if done right" crap all the time. There are mods you can do to make the care "more" reliable than factory (like replacing the plastic radiator fluid resevoir and so forth), but no matter how careful and on top of things you are, the FD requires CONSTANT maintainence to keep them running. It sucks when the first thing that comes to mind every time you floor the car is "I wonder how much this is going to cost me?" If it wasn't the rotary engine seals, it was the turbos acting up. If it wasn't the turbos, there was a new oil leak coming from some inaccessiable place under the intake or somewhere. Then the plugs would constantly need replacing at $10 a plug. Then the headlight plastic, dash plastic, bumper plastic would crack for no reason even though you just replaced that same piece a year before. Then the rear hatches would always rust out around the edge of the glass. Then there were the rattles! Every day a new freaking rattle would pop up!

My cars had no boost mods or anything other than reliability upgrades, and they both cost me over $1000 a year in parts, not labor, just parts to keep them on the road. When you need a part, it always takes a week to get anything, because the Mazda dealers don't stock most of them. If you need someone to do any major servicing (correctly), qualified FD mechanics are few and far between.

The FC Turbo II could go about 125k miles before the engine would need to be rebuilt, but the FD on average had to have its engine and turbos rebuilt every 60K miles. There were legends of people who had gone well over 100K on an original FD engine, but I never met one of these people in person.

I am not saying this because I am touting the superiority of the NSX or any other car. I loved and still love the rotary engine design. The power to weight ratio is amazing, but belive me when I say the FCs and FDs are a "PAIN IN THE BUTT" to keep on the road. If you want something that you constantly have to work on (as a hobby), and you want the challenge of working in one of the most compact engine compartments in the world, then by all means get an FD RX7. If you want something fun and reliable, then you need to get something else ( I used to have a 72 pinto that was more reliable than my 94 RX7 Touring Edition).:wink:

I purchased a 1995 model brand new ... and still own it. I am of a belief that many of the mods are simply not necessary. This FD has come down enough in price, that many now are owned by kids, and used too hard

Just like kids in the 70's when kids got muscle cars (from the 60's) they could not leave them alone either. Modified them to no end, and it effected their performance. Since it was a "performance car" they ran them hard, too. Sound familiar. Much like the 93 - 93 RX-7's. No wonder we hear alot about new engines.

I have had mine for 10 years. It is 100% stock ... with nothing more than oil changes and proper maintenence.

It has never given me any trouble ... and the last time I spent anything more than $100 on the car ... is when I purchased it new. A very reliable and capable car. Also a stunning style.

But you have to treat it right. Like any car, it will only take so much abuse.

My advise is if you are looking for one, buy the best one available. One that has all known history ... and mature use.

The FD may be one car, that if you cannot buy one of the better ones, it might be best to pass.

Too many have been used hard, and sold to the next user who did the same, and sold to the next user who did the same ... (you get the idea).

There are not alot of these cars that have been left alone.

And messing with them was not always necessary in the first place.

Mine is unmodifed, and with no regrets (or problems).

Rallywrc said:
Nice taste in cars, I have owned all except the Skyline. Sold my FD and Evo over the weekend, funny both buyers names were James. If you get the FD do your "reliability mods" and you'll most likely be good to go.

Anosa, which was your favorite of the pics I sent you???

I really liked the front shot of the supra, and the nsx at dusk was amazing how the water/sky color sorta splashed off onto the hood looked great.

WA-NSX said:
I purchased a 1995 model brand new ... and still own it. I am of a belief that many of the mods are simply not necessary. This FD has come down enough in price, that many now are owned by kids, and used too hard

Just like kids in the 70's when kids got muscle cars (from the 60's) they could not leave them alone either. Modified them to no end, and it effected their performance. Since it was a "performance car" they ran them hard, too. Sound familiar. Much like the 93 - 93 RX-7's. No wonder we hear alot about new engines.

I have had mine for 10 years. It is 100% stock ... with nothing more than oil changes and proper maintenence.

It has never given me any trouble ... and the last time I spent anything more than $100 on the car ... is when I purchased it new. A very reliable and capable car. Also a stunning style.

But you have to treat it right. Like any car, it will only take so much abuse.

My advise is if you are looking for one, buy the best one available. One that has all known history ... and mature use.

The FD may be one car, that if you cannot buy one of the better ones, it might be best to pass.

Too many have been used hard, and sold to the next user who did the same, and sold to the next user who did the same ... (you get the idea).

There are not alot of these cars that have been left alone.

And messing with them was not always necessary in the first place.

Mine is unmodifed, and with no regrets (or problems).

but like all cars im sure there are some that are just better made then others theres always discrepancy's in stock cars horsepower, I would assume this applys to reliability as well. Iv heard people on rx7club saying theyve never had problems with there cars as well, im sure its something like 1 in 100 works perfectly... and if you get that its great. On the other hand iv heard of engines blowing after 10k miles with no mods, regardless of hard driving ( to an extent ) NO engine should blow after 10kmiles...

Back