FD dilemma

I would love to own a NSX within the near future.. But heres the problem, how can you pass up a 3rd gen rx7 when there going for so cheap.. 10-15k for 7's well taken care of and low mileage etc. What would you do if you were in the market for a car?:confused:

One of my good friends recently aquired a 3rd gen he called me and was freaking out cause he found one so cheap. My intial thoughts were dude those are online scams lol. Then he tells me its localy and im like where :biggrin:, but he was smart and didnt tell me. so the next day he calls me and tells me its in his garage. i go and check it out and the thing is flawless, A pure gem. I was kind of jelous for a moment. Then i remember i owned an nsx:wink:, but ive always loved the fd's so i drooled, then soon i cried when told me how much he payed for it. 7,200 bucks i freaked. then he started it and it sounded like shit flutering and sputering. even still 7k for a mint 93 BLACK fd 5 speed TT is just not right. so i leave and he calls me the next day and tells me how he went to do an oil change and change the plugs and one of the plugs wires was not tight on the plug and he pulled them out and they were all gunk. He changed the plugs and now it runs better than new. Now thats some shit luck

3rd. Gen. RX-7 are sexy as hell, too bad it is a time bomb waiting to happen. If it was worth more, people would pay more for it. That's why NSX's are worth twice as much as RX-7. ( the original R-1 RX-7 was my all time favorite design, I still have the sales brochure)

A friend of mine's supposed low miles good condition FD blew up without much mods just intake/exhaust, no boost up and no track driving. FD is a great car and fast one at that, but it requires a lot more TLC to keep it up. Plus, stock for stock, NSX blow the FD away. I wish Mazda sold the FD after 95 though because the ones sold in Japan in the later years seem to be more reliable and went through more iterations of changes(for the better I assume).

well if you haven't already, talk to some FD owners, most of them will gladly tell you they are on their 3rd engine and second set of turbos. I love the FD, and when i have a crap load of extra money i think i'll acquire one. My friend had a White 94, that car was alot of fun, but about 6 months after he got it he blew his first engine, fuel starvation during a turn or something like that, blew apex seal and rotor housing turned into hamburger, he got it rebuilt for $6k by a reputable engine builder. After that he didnt have too many problems, but i think the bottom line is, if you plan on driving it HARD, like most owners do, there are some things you need to spend $$$ to make sure you have a healthy FD. Replace all 10,000,000 vacuum hoses in the turbo's rat's nest, LEARN how to rebuild the engine yourself (apparently its not as horrible as you think), don't modify more than one thing at a time lest your new mods blow the crap out of your engine :biggrin: i think that if you take the appropriate precations you can have a solid FD with no problems. but the cost of ownership is definitely more than you might think it is. Good luck

oh yeah if you can get a late model 94+
the earlier ones have burned more than one garage down (they had a recall on this thing)

also before the introduction of the RX8, the worst place you could take a FD was to the Mazda dealership :biggrin:

Simple advice: Regardless of its condition, make sure you have access to a mechanic that is fully competent with rotary engines. And have money to spare just in case. :D

I think if you find one cheap enough a good solution would be a ls1 swap it would surely be less than the 6k stated above, and would be extremely fast and reliable. Ive seen this swap done many times just dont know much about it myself.

I really dont think an FD is that problematic of a car. It just requires an owner that is aware of the possible issues and is willing to get his hands dirty.

I owned a 93 for a short while and it was a blast to drive. Of course i love my nsx more but they arent really in the same class.

This is one of those times when having both would really be a great option.

Why? because the timeless styling and rarity of both.

Attachments

• DSC02566.jpg
    DSC02566.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 130
I sold my FD to get my NSX. FD is one hellava car if you maintain it alot , if mods double the maintence. Had $17k in my FD with 360whp but I knew that it was a matter of time. Didn't want to put the 3rd engine in it so I bought a NSX. Maybe a little slower but just a fun to drive and with the Honda relablity.

my $.02

Very good helpful opinions.. Appreciate the responses.. Its just I do know a good amount about The fd3s.. My best friend owned 1 and we're both really good w/ the ppl at the rx7 store here in ohio.. The Fd can be a very reliable car, as reliable as any other car if done right.... With a mild street port, seals, a good tune and about 2-4k in mods you should have a very drivable 12 second car.. One main reason Im so torn is Im very young compared to most NSX owners not saying there old just they are more financialy stable at the moment.. Im not a rich kid by any means ive worked and saved and im in the Af and could at the moment afford a FD.. But how could anyone not second guess themselves and want to get the NSX?? Another thing is Im kinda in love w/ turbos.. I have a gsx at the moment and with the nsx being n/a it throws me a little bit.. But as an n/a the car is phenominal.. So its a tough decision but thanks for all the the advice and opinions...:biggrin:

FDs wont depreciate all that much....if at all.

Find a good condition FD, dont spend money on mods, just enjoy it until you have enough saved up for the nsx and then sell the FD.

Thats what I would do.

I DreamnNSX said:
Very good helpful opinions.. Appreciate the responses.. Its just I do know a good amount about The fd3s.. My best friend owned 1 and we're both really good w/ the ppl at the rx7 store here in ohio.. The Fd can be a very reliable car, as reliable as any other car if done right.... With a mild street port, seals, a good tune and about 2-4k in mods you should have a very drivable 12 second car.. One main reason Im so torn is Im very young compared to most NSX owners not saying there old just they are more financialy stable at the moment.. Im not a rich kid by any means ive worked and saved and im in the Af and could at the moment afford a FD.. But how could anyone not second guess themselves and want to get the NSX?? Another thing is Im kinda in love w/ turbos.. I have a gsx at the moment and with the nsx being n/a it throws me a little bit.. But as an n/a the car is phenominal.. So its a tough decision but thanks for all the the advice and opinions...:biggrin:

i just noticed that you said you had a GSX, alot of my friends used to have those and have since swapped out for EVO's. If you are a tuner you might find the aftermarket support for the NSX really sparse in comparison to something like a GSX. by sparse i just mean REALLY expensive :biggrin:

I had a 93 RX-7. LOVED IT! What a cool car. I did have problems, went to the dealership 3 times and they would not help(still under warranty) In the summer when the car had the air on, I would come to a stop and the car would stall. After calling corprate Mazda, the dealership called me, I went in, talked to the service manager and he told me they would be replacing my engine... Well they did, I dont think it helped, but I cant be certain. Two weeks later, Old man pulls out in front of me...bye bye RX-7. Few other people I talked to said that this engine replacment thing was common on fixes that the techs could not figure out. The service manager also said to me that the cars seemed to be to advanced for most techs to solve the problems.
For what its worth I would love to have another one someday, but for now I choose the NSX.

I DreamnNSX said:
heres the problem, how can you pass up a 3rd gen rx7 when there going for so cheap.. 10-15k for 7's well taken care of and low mileage etc. What would you do if you were in the market for a car?:confused:
3rd Gen RX-7 has always been top 2 of my favorite Japanese cars, tie with NSX. I still wish to own one someday.

If it wasn't the the reliability problem, I would be driving one now as daily driver and dump the Supra.

The LS1 option is nice and very tempting.

I had a 93 auto TT.
Thing was flawless...I bought it from a man who's wife had just died. She only put 9,000 miles on the car total.

Man I couldn't stand that thing....when you shut the doors it sounded like a tin can. The whole thing rattled incessantly, and in stock form it was a turd.

Looked damn good and the Bose Radio in it was amazing. I sold it a couple months later and haven't looked back.

Because I eat kimchee everday and Im also korean... So I thought ide ask sense i had a hunch...:biggrin:

With the right mods the FD can be very reliable.. And this is a pretty sexy turd I might add..:biggrin:
image_aerosport.jpg

image_aerosport4.jpg

Still not sure what Im going to do.. but If i didnt have tough choices this would be boring..:tongue:

Back