Fantasy NSX Engine swap

I would put this in my NSX:

engine_at_psd.jpg

It adds 18'000 lbs to the car... but the weight to power ratio should increase a lot. For a final weight of 20'000 lbs you get 30'000 ps. Next generation Viper?

1.5 ps/lb should do the work.

Now for a FANTASY engine... no idea... really... I prefer the real stuff! :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fantasy NSX Engine swap

AJKS said:
What car mag did you read these times? Road and Track had 14.1, 1/4 and 5.4, 0-60.
The times you have down sound like a modified car to me.

SCC May 2003 p.126 "24 Hrs with EVO" 1st and 2nd columns. :D

(not that I advocate magazine racers)

It also dyno'd 240 AWHP @ 6250, and if you know anything about AWHP dyno loss, that's pretty impressive.

Seriously though, a 73 mph skidpad, that's better than a 911 Turbo, Skyline GT-R, 360 Modena... you name it. Heck I'd bet it even beats an Elise/Exige or is very close at least.

nsxtasy said:
Any car can be modded enough to any beat stock car, depending on the mods. And such a comparison is absolutely worthless. That and $3.42 plus a $.58 tip and a smile for the guy/gal with the lip stud will get you a venti cappuccino half latte half skim at your neighborhood Starbucks.

You both have good points. In your defense, modded cars don't belong in this discussion really.

In his defense, an Evo VIII running open header ($free, just takes about 10 mins to jack up the car, and pop off a few bolts) and a $50 manual boost controller, the Evo would easily make 50 more hp at the wheels, and that's a conservative guess.

(The WRX made 40 hp from running open header alone, without an added boost controller)

His point is, that the mods he was talking about cost far FAR less than it takes to make a Neon faster than a Porsche Turbo and an NSX faster than a Viper.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fantasy NSX Engine swap

nsxtasy said:
You're kidding, right?

I assume you're talking about the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, which is not called the Evo in the States. It has less horsepower than a 3.2-liter NSX-T and weighs more. YOU figure it out.

NO! I am not kidding, infact I am convinced it is faster then an NSX. why would I kid about such a serious topic? alright I confess I was kidding BUT it was my first attempt at dry humour. boy I wont try that again after reading all these posts ;) although I did get a few to support my position

Best Regards David
PS geez Ken i didnt know it was called the Lancer here in the states.are you sure about that,I want proof

This thread went WAY off topic... I think there were only 2 posts that were on topic!

As for the EVO, I think it is a VERY strong match for 91-96 NSX's, but probably not for the 97+. However, it does only cost 30K.

It makes me sad that I only have as much power as a mitsu sedan with a 4-cylinder! Time for mods!

Originally posted by NSX G-Force
How about this one? Will this be the view that I gonna c on my 92 Auto NSX?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not if you visit Jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta which has over a dozen Cayennes lined up in their holding area .....

NetViper said:
So, if you could swap any current production engine into the NSX, what would it be?
I'd put one of the new V-10 motors from either Lamborghini or Porsche.
- 5.0L 500 hp V10 from new Lambo Gallardo
- 620+ hp V10 from Porsche Carrera GT

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fantasy NSX Engine swap

BadCarma said:
alright I confess I was kidding BUT it was my first attempt at dry humour.

You need to either (a) include smilies in your post, or (b) do it on April Fool's Day when everyone will assume you're being humorous.

Originally posted by BadCarma
PS geez Ken i didnt know it was called the Lancer here in the states.are you sure about that,I want proof

Check out the Mitsubishi website at http://www.mitsubishicars.com/lancerevolution/index.html

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fantasy NSX Engine swap

nsxtasy said:
You need to either (a) include smilies in your post, or (b) do it on April Fool's Day when everyone will assume you're being humorous.

Check out the Mitsubishi website at http://www.mitsubishicars.com/lancerevolution/index.html

like this: quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by BadCarma
PS geez Ken i didnt know it was called the Lancer here in the states.are you sure about that,I want proof :D

NSX G-Force said:
Any one have any info for top speed on stock automatic NSX? :rolleyes: May be I shld swap a 3.2 on my 92 :D

Test #s ranges from 154-162mph for the top speed. There is a reason why ALL automatic NSXs, '91-'03, still have the C30A 3.0 Liter 252hp engine. If you want speed I think you might be better off trading ur car in for a manual NSX than doing an engine swap. Might be more economical too.

As for what I want as a fantasy engine, the engine in the Le Mans Turbo GT1 NSX or a JGTC NSX engine would be nice, but they are not in any cars that are currently in production so I guess it doesn't count. I don't like the idea of hybrid cars. Any other engine in an NSX would be sacrilege IMHO. To me the stock NSX engine is still a gem. Even if it can't match some of the new comers in sheer power, it will always be an engine that made a mark in automotive history.

Cojones mentioned the Carrera GT. Just an FYI, I inquired about it at Beverly Hills Porsche last week and they had at least 2 still availble. They require a $100K deposit though.

Re: Re: Fantasy NSX Engine swap

cojones said:
I'd put one of the new V-10 motors from either Lamborghini or Porsche.
- 5.0L 500 hp V10 from new Lambo Gallardo
- 620+ hp V10 from Porsche Carrera GT

I am with you on this. I think the V10 is the way to go. Perhaps Honda could cash in on the marketing of their F1 program.

I also like the idea of a 3.5 liter derivative of the JGTC motor.

I want Rob Hunt's rebuilt iron sleeved engine that Gerry did for him with the twin turbos, & 150 shot of nitrous. 500+ hp would feel pretty good in an NSX.

Last edited:
NetViper said:
Well, I think we can all agree that the NSX is currently getting DESTROYED in the HP department. We have 4 door sedans that will leave us in the dust. Hell, if we are not careful, a new neon could beat us off the line!!!
Now that's a bit of an exaggeration; you make it sound like NSXs are routinely getting blown away at the light by grocery getters. Anyway, the NSX isn't just a car that's built around an engine, is it? For Honda to go into a horsepower race with cars that are (and keeping everything else equal), costs would have to skyrocket to Ferrari/Lambo levels IMO.

Here's my selection...

Not-unRealistic: A Honda-made V6 or V8 with 350HP
Sorta-Realistic: A Porsche V6 3.6L GT3
Less-Realistic: Porsche Carrera GT V-10 600+HP
Even-Less-Realistic: a Zonda engine :cool:
Completely-UnRealistic: Engine from Mercedes CLK-GTR
Lost-Touch-with-Reality: Gheba_nsx's Jet engine. :D

but honestly, you couldn't just whip in any engine ... it wouldn't SOUND like an NSX. An NSX body with a lambo engine would gurgle like... a lambo. :( A replacement engine would have to follow the nsx-philosophy: efficiency, great power-weight ratio, 8000RPM, reliability... )

The list of cars significantly faster in a straight line (1/4 mile) than the NSX is growing, but the growing list is mostly only Mercedes.

The following Mercs will all do mid 12 1/4s
E55
SL55
SL600
CL600
S600
CL55
CL65

Audi RS6
Z06
Viper
F360
F575
996TT
GT2 and 3
Lambo Murc and soon the Gallardo, Lambo sold ~150 Murcs in the US last year so it should be included.

I wouldn't count the Z8 since the 6spd is no longer in production, you can only buy an auto.

what about the slk32 amg? how quick are those in the 1/4 at sea level? and how would it fare against a 91-96 nsx?

Here is the performance of the GT3... just imagine this engine in the NSX!! NOBODY would complain about its poor straightline performance.. If only Acura cared about its cars like porsche does...

"Beneath the hood sits a 3.6-liter flat-six engine that produces 380 horsepower and 285 pounds-feet of torque — that’s 105 hp per liter of engine displacement and enough to yield a 0-to-60-mph acceleration time of 4.3 seconds. The 911 GT3 can hit 100 mph in 9.4 seconds and reach a maximum track speed of 190 mph. "

Does the GT3 have a turbo charged engine? If it does, NSX with supercharger would have the same or more in hp, right?

Please correct me if I am not correct;)

The 3.6L is NA, which is why it makes a good comparison to the NSX.

Back in 94, the Porsche 911 had 270HP (NA) as did the NSX. Now the NSX has 290, the porsche 320. If only acura updated their cars!

Now porsche will have a 3.6 L engine with 380HP! Imagine that engine in the NSX. It would be truly stunning. I don't know the curb weight of the GT3, but I bet it isnt much less than the NSX-R. Peformance should be about the same... which would make the NSX a ferrari 360 killer... and dont we ALL want that!

Back