Fantasy NSX Engine swap

Well, I think we can all agree that the NSX is currently getting DESTROYED in the HP department. We have 4 door sedans that will leave us in the dust. Hell, if we are not careful, a new neon could beat us off the line!!! That just isn't right!

So, if you could swap any current production engine into the NSX, what would it be?

Lets say one "reasonable" choice and some not so reasonable.

For me it is a hard choice, but I think the new 3.6L Porsche Gt3 engine would be amazing in the NSX. 380hp, 105HP/L NA... that is what the NSX should have had in the 2002 makeover..

As for crazy.. well, I would love to put the engine in the Pagani Zonda in the NSX :) ... maybe the Cadillac V16 with 1000 HP... :)

NetViper said:
Well, I think we can all agree that the NSX is currently getting DESTROYED in the HP department. We have 4 door sedans that will leave us in the dust. Hell, if we are not careful, a new neon could beat us off the line!!! That just isn't right!

I can't think of a 4 door sedan can beat our fantastic NSX, can you give me some example :confused:

Weeellll, if you're talking only about horsepower...

According to the Acura website, a TL can get about 260 horses running for it. The same website claims a 3.0-liter NSX gets about 252, and a 3.2-liter NSX gets about 290.

Of course, a TL also weighs something like 450 more pounds than an NSX and corners like a weeble.

How you like them apples?

http://www.brabus-online.de/special/01bbe.htm

01pic01.jpg

Tuner cars don't count and pure HP doesnt count. In terms of actual performance there really arent a lot of stock, four door sedans that outperform the NSX in a straight line.

I know of these:

Mercedes S600
Mercedes S55 AMG
BMW M5
Audi RS6
Bentley Arnage T

spookyp said:
Tuner cars don't count and pure HP doesnt count. In terms of actual performance there really arent a lot of stock, four door sedans that outperform the NSX in a straight line.

I know of these:

Mercedes S600
Mercedes S55 AMG
BMW M5
Audi RS6
Bentley Arnage T

EDIT: Correction regarding S55 AMG.

The RS6 is not on the market yet so has not been tested by the magazine testers. The other four do not outperform the NSX in a straight line, according to the magazine tests (assuming we're talking about a 3.2-liter six-speed NSX-T). For example, the S55 AMG does 0-60 in 5.7, the M5 in 5.0, and the Bentley in 6.3 - numbers which do not beat the NSX.

Which means, there aren't any.

However, all of these cars can outperform the NSX when it comes to how much they weigh:

Mercedes S600 - 4610 pounds :eek:
Mercedes S55 AMG - 4300 pounds :eek:
BMW M5 - 4024 pounds :eek:
Audi RS6 - 4024 pounds (not a typo, yes same as M5) :eek:
Bentley Arnage T - 5699 pounds :eek: :eek: :eek:

Which, of course, is exactly why they're not any quicker, despite a horsepower advantage.

There ARE cars that are quicker than the NSX - Z06, Ferrari, Porsche Turbo, Viper, Z8, plus a few low-volume specialty cars. But that's about it - and, with the exception of the Z06, all cost more than the NSX. So let's not keep making those false claims over and over again, okay?

Last edited:
Re: Re: Fantasy NSX Engine swap

NSXER119 said:
I can't think of a 4 door sedan can beat our fantastic NSX, can you give me some example :confused:

what about the new EVO VIII it puts down some serious specs

Re: Re: Re: Fantasy NSX Engine swap

BadCarma said:

You're kidding, right?

I assume you're talking about the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, which is not called the Evo in the States. It has less horsepower than a 3.2-liter NSX-T and weighs more. YOU figure it out.

Re: Re: Re: Fantasy NSX Engine swap

BadCarma said:

Couple magazine had test drive on Evo VIII (or Evo VII, but they should be the same), 0-60mph is about 5.2 or 5.3, and 1/4 mile is more than 14 sec, which is not faster than our NSX:D

Merceces SL 55

Ken,

Sorry, but the SL55 has been out for some time. I drove a friend of mines back from the Detroit Auto Show this year. It may weigh a lot, but boy does it move. The 100+ acceleration times are MUCH faster than the Lambo. Murcielago!

The Labo dealer at the show said he thought it was the best car on the floor.

It is unfair to compare it to an NSX. It is in a whole different class and price point.

p.s. It has the most amazing interior sound I have ever heard. From the exterior it sounds like a US muscle car.

A simple cat-back, electronic boost controller, and a fuel computer on a new Evolution would blow an NSX away, hands down. Keep in mind, the Evolution is coming from Japan as a detuned EPA friendly car.

Re: Merceces SL 55

Hans said:
Sorry, but the SL55 has been out for some time.

When the S55 AMG was mentioned, I was thinking of the E55 AMG. Now that you bring up the SL55 AMG, you're right, it may be slightly faster than the NSX. Not by much, though (e.g. 4.5 seconds 0-60). So yeah, I guess there is one sedan that is quicker than the NSX. And it costs over 50 percent more than the NSX.

Hans said:
The 100+ acceleration times are MUCH faster than the Lambo. Murcielago!

I don't know about that, but the Lambo is certainly quicker 0-60 (3.6 vs 4.5).

RS6 has been tested by Car and Driver this month.

0-60 in 4.4secs
1/4 mile in 12.8secs @ 108mph

Its curb weight is 4229 pounds whereas the M5 weigh 3995 pounds.

Originally posted by NSX G-Force
How about this one? Will this be the view that I gonna c on my 92 Auto NSX?

Only if you're a really slow driver. With 0-60 times of 5.6 seconds, the $88K Porsche Cayenne Turbo should be about even with an automatic NSX. Even with lots of horses, that's not surprising, considering its 4949 pound curb weight.

Okay, so it looks like there are now three cars (RS6, SL55 AMG, E55 AMG) hitting the market that are all slightly quicker than the NSX. All cost at least as much money, all have over 400 hp, all weigh over 4000 pounds... and all have an automatic transmission! :eek: These are not sports cars that you would want to take out on a racetrack.

But hey, any of these would make a great candidate for an April Fool's Day post here. :D

P.S. I think it's quite amazing that they can make automatic transmission cars in the low to mid four second range. Not that I want one, I don't, but it's quite a technological feat.

Wrong!!!!!

Blackstar said:
A simple cat-back, electronic boost controller, and a fuel computer on a new Evolution would blow an NSX away, hands down. Keep in mind, the Evolution is coming from Japan as a detuned EPA friendly car.

Cat back, EBC, Fuel CPU will get the Evo around 4.5 0-60 and 13.2 at best. If you look in the Euro car Mags, find them at (Books-A-Million) you can see all Evo's, WRX's, NSX R info well before they get to the US. In one there was a shoot out with the EVO and WRX with the above mods, and then some, on both cars. Evo was 13.5 and the WRX was 13.7. So this will not blow an NSX away. Not only that the cars tested in Europe are a bit lighter
there than the US. By the way the same Euro mag has the NSX R doing a 0-60 in 4.4 and 12.8 in the quarter. This 1/4 mile time, by the way beats the Skyline GTR in Japan. You know the Skyline, don't you? I will be hapy to e-mail you the link to the MPG were the NSX-R beat the non "Detuned" Skyline. So now if you would like to retort your statement that would be nice. Lastly when you think you have found an Evo that can take my 2002 NSX in the 1/4 around 11'8's, top end, or on the track drop me an e-mail. Make sure he/she brings some cash I like to take lunch money once in a while, it keeps non NSX owners in there place. Don't belive all that you read in the tuner mags here state side. By the way what year NSX do you have? I bet you cant wait till F & F 2 comes out huh? :p:p

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Fantasy NSX Engine swap

NSXER119 said:
Couple magazine had test drive on Evo VIII (or Evo VII, but they should be the same), 0-60mph is about 5.2 or 5.3, and 1/4 mile is more than 14 sec, which is not faster than our NSX:D

:dunno:

I've read 13.34 1/4 mi
4.9 sec 0-60
.95g skidpad
73.1 mph 700 ft slalom
and 110 ft 60-0
in magazines...

It'll be pretty darned close. NSX would definitely take top end being that the Evo is weighed down by AWD, its advantage is mostly at launch and lower speeds. Also the NSX sports much better aerodynamics.

In any case, I think the chief 4-door competitor is the upcoming STi. Heck even Japan's 2.0 Liter 280 hp version is quite a match for the NSX, the US is getting 2.5 Liters and 300 hp / 300 lb.ft of tq. Not to mention 3 differentials, one a computer controlled active center differential with a driver selectable torque f/r split. On top of that they're offering leather Recaro seats in addition to the usual bit... brembo's, water spray intercooler, electronic brake force distributor, beefier tires, and of course a 6-speed.

Not to overspeculate, but any sedan that has leather recaro's, brembo's and has a power/weight ratio higher than the NSX's (just slightly) certainly deserves some attention.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fantasy NSX Engine swap

Rubber Chicken said:
:dunno:

I've read 13.34 1/4 mi
4.9 sec 0-60
.95g skidpad
73.1 mph 700 ft slalom
and 110 ft 60-0
in magazines...

It'll be pretty darned close. NSX would definitely take top end being that the Evo is weighed down by AWD, its advantage is mostly at launch and lower speeds. Also the NSX sports much better aerodynamics.

In any case, I think the chief 4-door competitor is the upcoming STi. Heck even Japan's 2.0 Liter 280 hp version is quite a match for the NSX, the US is getting 2.5 Liters and 300 hp / 300 lb.ft of tq. Not to mention 3 differentials, one a computer controlled active center differential with a driver selectable torque f/r split. On top of that they're offering leather Recaro seats in addition to the usual bit... brembo's, water spray intercooler, electronic brake force distributor, beefier tires, and of course a 6-speed.

Not to overspeculate, but any sedan that has leather recaro's, brembo's and has a power/weight ratio higher than the NSX's (just slightly) certainly deserves some attention.

What car mag did you read these times? Road and Track had 14.1, 1/4 and 5.4, 0-60.
The times you have down sound like a modified car to me.

nsxtasy said:
Only if you're a really slow driver. With 0-60 times of 5.6 seconds, the $88K Porsche Cayenne Turbo should be about even with an automatic NSX. Even with lots of horses, that's not surprising, considering its 4949 pound curb weight.

450 bhp of power. The Turbo Cayenne sprints from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.6 seconds and has a top speed of 266 km/h.... It might be even on 1-60 but wonder my Auto NSX can keep up for that top speed! Any one have any info for top speed on stock automatic NSX? :rolleyes: May be I shld swap a 3.2 on my 92 :D

Ummmm the SL55 AMG has TWO doors, guys.

And I would put the 3.6-liter Ferrari 360 engine in my NSX as a "reasonable" swap. Or maybe a 3.5 JGTC engine.

For a crazy swap... I don't know... maybe I would put 2 S2000 engines on one crank.

Blackstar said:

Quite aside from whether that will or won't blow an NSX away (hint - it won't), whenever anyone starts throwing a modded car into the mix, it usually means that he's already admitting defeat, admitting that his car is significantly slower with an apples-to-apples comparison of one stock car versus another stock car.

Can a modded Evolution beat a stock NSX? Sure, depending on the mods. Can a modded NSX beat a stock Viper? Sure, just get Adam Sutarawi to bring his drag car. Can a modded Neon beat a stock Porsche Turbo? Sure. Just depends on the mods.

You get the picture. Any car can be modded enough to beat any stock car, depending on the mods. And such a comparison is absolutely worthless. That and $3.42 plus a $.58 tip and a smile for the guy/gal with the lip stud will get you a venti cappuccino half latte half skim at your neighborhood Starbucks.

nsxtasy said:

Any car can be modded enough to beat any stock car, depending on the mods. And such a comparison is absolutely worthless. That and $3.42 plus a $.58 tip and a smile for the guy/gal with the lip stud will get you a venti cappuccino half latte half skim at your neighborhood Starbucks.

Hmmmm...

Back