fair price for a new 2005 NSX

$77k...:confused:

Why, what do you want to pay?:biggrin: Ive got a new 05 in Long Beach Blue available for immediate delivery.:wink:

New...$75K There is a $7500 factory to dealer rebate on '05's which puts
the dealer cost around $73,500 + their 3% holdback. When I was shopping in November I found many dealers willing to sell at that price.

Used w/low, low miles...low $70's.

Contrary to popular belief, MOST Acura dealers don't do well with new NSX's. There are exceptions of course, but for the most part they are in the business to sell the rest of line. They'll make more money on a TL than an NSX.....

Good luck...there aren't going to be any more of these cars ever again!

Hothonda said:
They'll make more money on a TL than an NSX.....

Not even close:wink: TL's over here are selling for a couple bucks over invoice to a couple bucks under invoice. We've sold them for net/net.

You'd never get a new 05 automatic for 75K. :biggrin: Although I don't need new NSX, if Acura of America will lease it to a Canuck then I will consider it. I promise to bring it back when the lease expires.

cfra7 said:
Get a C6 Z06 for $70K+. Why would anyone pay that much for an NSX? I love the car but it's not in the same league.

Says who? Id rather have an NSX over a Corvette any day.

cfra7 said:
Get a C6 Z06 for $70K+. Why would anyone pay that much for an NSX? I love the car but it's not in the same league.

Nice advice:rolleyes:
I don't recall him asking what OTHER kind of car he could get for the same price as a new NSX but rather what he should expect to pay for one.

cfra7 said:

sfra7, you should sell your 91 and buy a ZR1, many argued that is a better buy than the NSX. I just love the fit and finish of the Corvette, lovely plastic they have and the GM quality workmanship...And I gotta have that awesome in-dash CD player… Nah, I better wait, I'm sure I can buy the Z06 for $55 grand in a year or so, when they offer the family discount again just to stay out of bankruptcy.

I was in car sales for many years, and I sold Honda and Acura. I didn't drive a hard bargain when I bought my 03 four months ago. At the time, I was considering a 05 if I can find the right deal, but after talking to about 6 dealers in person (only two had the new car in stock, and I didn't care for the colors), the lowest quote I got was 84 grand. I'm sure I can find lower price in a different state, but at the end, I bought a used 03 with only 3600 miles on it, and Honda gave me 4.5 % financing as well as 100k Honda care. I paid $72 for it. It wasn't the best deal, but a fair deal. I also traded my 95 NSX in.

I don't know where this $7500 factory to dealer cash came from, I talk to my old friend at Bellevue Acura in Washington, and he told me it doesn't exist. The dealer's invoice is about $80 grand, so you can figure out from there. I'm sure no sales person will not want to deal with you if you're asking for below invoice price (even factor in the 2% hold back, because they wouldn't get any commission for selling a car below cost, that's time wasted for no good cause, specially something in that price range.

Good luck if you really want a 05, bet the very last one will be cool.

Last edited:
The Kid said:
Not even close:wink: TL's over here are selling for a couple bucks over invoice to a couple bucks under invoice. We've sold them for net/net.

So how do you make money? I've always been curious how dealers can day in and day out sell at invoice? Are the holdbacks enough to keep the doors open?

I understand that new car sales is not where it's at, used cars and service/parts are what make the business lucrative, but still.... The Acura dealer here has(d) a waiting list for TSX's and MDX's move pretty well too. Even the hot TL's with manuals are hard to come by regularly. Enlighten me on how you guys make money. :biggrin: PM me if it's secret knowledge.... :biggrin:

Vancehu said:
I don't know where this $7500 factory to dealer cash came from, I talk to my old friend at Bellevue Acura in Washington, he told me it doesn't exist. The dealer's invoice is about $80 grand, so you can figure out from there. I'm sure no sales person will want to deal with you if you're asking for below invoice price (even considering the 2-3% hold back, because they wouldn't get any commision for selling a car below cost, specially something in that price range.

Is your friend that close? I swear sometimes there's a secret oath taken once you start working at a dealer to swear that no car salesman gets any piece of the holdback. I've tried negotiating on that and every salesman swears "I don't get paid off of the holdback.... Let me go ask my boss if I can sell at the price you are requesting though...."

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if there was a $7500 cash back to dealer on the car, there's so much "hidden" money floating around this industry.... How can a dealer (at least around here) demolish a building only to put up a brand new building every ten years? They're making a boatload.

The $7500 is correct ...in years past there has generally been anywhere
from $5K to $10K back on the NSX at year's end...as I said when I was shopping for an '05 there were at least 3 dealers with inventory who
were willing to sell me a car for $75K...I traveled for my car because I
wanted a Grand Prix White...BTW, Bellevue Acura hasn't had any '05 NSX's
for at least 6 months and will not have any more. I purchased 4 of my 5
new NSX's from them......

Last edited:
Hothonda said:
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if there was a $7500 cash back to dealer on the car, there's so much "hidden" money floating around this industry.... How can a dealer (at least around here) demolish a building only to put up a brand new building every ten years? They're making a boatload.

from $5K to $10K back on the NSX at year's end...as I said when I was shopping for an '05 there were at least 3 dealers with inventory who

I want your car, I hate you.... :tongue: :biggrin:

cfra7 said:

Please sell your nsx if you have one and go away!

Your a discrace to the Nsx community.:mad:

comquat1 said:
Is your friend that close? I swear sometimes there's a secret oath taken once you start working at a dealer to swear that no car salesman gets any piece of the holdback. I've tried negotiating on that and every salesman swears "I don't get paid off of the holdback.... Let me go ask my boss if I can sell at the price you are requesting though...."

Domestic automaker will offer Factory to sales person cash for selling cars, even if the sales person don't make the margin for individual dealership. The family discount was one of the examples for the salesperson to make a living while selling cars below invoice. You might not believe this, national average is 8 cars per month per salesman, and average income is about $2500 a month. I'm sure many will contest that; I'll be the first one. I have never made less than $4500 a month selling cars, most of the month, I made over $7 grand, but that's for working 6 days a week, 12 hour days, selling 20 plus cars a month.

The truth is, at least in Honda's term; the dealer will never offer commission on hold back; in fact many dealership have a pack before commission. For example, most of the Honda dealership in S Cal have a $300 pack, it effect the commission greatly. I'll give you an example, if a Civic Si is sold at sticker price of let's say $20 grand, the profit excluding hold back is about 10%, which is $2 grand. The salesman's commission is that $2000 (profit) - $300 (pack) x 20% = $340 (commission). Some low volume dealership will pay up to 35%, such as Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Suzuki, but I have never seen a Honda/Acura dealer pay beyond 25% in Southern California.

As a car salesman, I have worked in high volume dealer that will only pay 20% to low volume dealer that will pay “up to” 35%. Either way, the income will be about the same (sell more car, make less money per car, or sell less car, make more money per car). Honda of Seattle will pay “up to” 35% if the salesman reach certain unit goal, but if you don't, it stay @ 20%.

Honda don't play incentive game like domestic manufactures do, or even Toyota (who is notorious for whoring out Camery and Corolla), they will not offer money to dealership if the car sells it self. If you noticed, Honda don't whore their cars to national car rental companies, because it doesn't protect consumers in term of resale value (while Toyota had to sell about 10% o their Camerys to car rental companies to meet the “best seller in its class” The only time Honda offer factory to dealer cash is when they roll out new models and dealers need help to move old inventory, the most I have seen while in the business is $3000 on 1995 Integra, $700 on 1996 Accord V6, and $500 on regular Accords. As for $7500 cash back to dealers on the NSX, it just didn't make any sense. It's not model year change where they have to move the car for new model year. NSX is discountinued - Why continue making cars that few people will buy, most likely at a lost, and still offer additional $7500 bucks back to the dealer/consumer, and take even more lost on the left over. If you noticed, Honda could have kill the NSX in September, but they opt to make more all the way till end of the December, a very unusual practice. My friend at Honda of Bellevue was laughing when I ask him on the phone, he said the best deal on the NSX ever was the $799.99/month lease, and that ended right before the announced the discontinuation of the NSX. He told me Honda doesn't care if the last 15 or so NSX gets sold, because people who want them will pay for the price, and if the dealership is stupid or desperate enough, they can sell it at invoice.

As for the hold back, it was really offered to off set some of the accidental stuff during transporting of the car, as well as PDI (pre delivery inspection), and car detailing after arrive a the dealer. Imagine if the NSX is damaged during the transportation process, and was not at fault of the trucking company, the dealership will have to deal with it. There are also different levels of insurance coverage involve, but many dealership will not utilize it because like our insurance, the premium goes up if there are too many claims.

As for dealership making boatload of money, yes they do. Honda for example, had all their dealership re-modeled the building to meet Honda's image. Honda subsidized part of the cost. As for profit, not everything is generated by the sales department; in a dealership, there are really three stores combine in one: Car sales, parts, and service. If you buy a car, and want to add a spoiler as part of the deal, in consumer's eyes, it will look like the dealer tossed it into the deal. In reality is (on paper), if the spoiler cost $500 bucks, the parts department will make that money through the car deal. Again, let me use a Civic Si as an example, if the car is sold at MSRP of $20,000, including the spoiler, the deal will look like this:

$2000 (profit of the car) - $300 (pack) - $500 (spoiler) x 20% = $240 (Commission)

The parts department might give $10 or $20 bucks to the sales person as a spiff.

What I'm trying to say is, not all profit you see are generated from car sales. Couple of dealership I used to work claimed the service department makes the most profit, because the customer will pay for the parts at MSRP (most of consumers don't know that), and they charge labor over that (100% profit). One major repair can out profit three car deals).

However, at the end, all the profit generated from three stores within the dealership goes to the owner, he's true winner over every one.

Last edited:
Hothonda said:

Scan the purchase contract of your 05, if the number is as you claimed ($73 grand), I will take that as a prove of do-able deal, and trade in my 03 for an 05. There is Long Beach Blue in South Coast Acura I would love to get my hands on.

Vancehu said:
Domestic automaker will offer Factory to sales person cash for selling cars, even if the sales person don't make the margin for individual dealership. The family discount was one of the examples for the salesperson to make a living while selling cars below invoice. You might not believe this, national average is 8 cars per month per salesman, and average income is about $2500 a month. I'm sure many will contest that; I'll be the first one. I have never made less than $4500 a month selling cars, most of the month, I made over $7 grand, but that's for working 6 days a week, 12 hour days, selling 20 plus cars a month.

The truth is, at least in Honda's term; the dealer will never offer commission on hold back; in fact many dealership have a pack before commission. For example, most of the Honda dealership in S Cal have a $300 pack, it effect the commission greatly. I'll give you an example, if a Civic Si is sold at sticker price of let's say $20 grand, the profit excluding hold back is about 10%, which is $2 grand. The salesman's commission is that $2000 (profit) - $300 (pack) x 20% = $340 (commission). Some low volume dealership will pay up to 35%, such as Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Suzuki, but I have never seen a Honda/Acura dealer pay beyond 25% in Southern California.

As a car salesman, I have worked in high volume dealer that will only pay 20% to low volume dealer that will pay “up to” 35%. Either way, the income will be about the same (sell more car, make less money per car, or sell less car, make more money per car). Honda of Seattle will pay “up to” 35% if the salesman reach certain unit goal, but if you don't, it stay @ 20%.

Honda don't play incentive game like domestic manufactures do, or even Toyota (who is notorious for whoring out Camery and Corolla), they will not offer money to dealership if the car sells it self. If you noticed, Honda don't whore their cars to national car rental companies, because it doesn't protect consumers in term of resale value (while Toyota had to sell about 10% o their Camerys to car rental companies to meet the “best seller in its class” The only time Honda offer factory to dealer cash is when they roll out new models and dealers need help to move old inventory, the most I have seen while in the business is $3000 on 1995 Integra, $700 on 1996 Accord V6, and $500 on regular Accords. As for $7500 cash back to dealers on the NSX, it just didn't make any sense. Why continue making cars that few people will buy, most likely at a lost, and still offer additional $7500 bucks back to the dealer/consumer. My friend at Honda of Bellevue was laughing when I ask him on the phone, he said the best deal on the NSX ever was the $799.99/month lease, and that ended right before the announced the discontinuation of the NSX. He told me Honda doesn't care if the last 15 or so NSX gets sold, because people who want them will pay for the price, and if the dealership is stupid or desperate enough, they can sell it at invoice.

As for the hold back, it was really offered to off set some of the accidental stuff during transporting of the car, as well as PDI (pre delivery inspection), and car detailing after arrive a the dealer. Imagine if the NSX is damaged during the transportation process, and was not at fault of the trucking company, the dealership will have to deal with it. There are also different levels of insurance coverage involve, but many dealership will not utilize it because like our insurance, the premium goes up if there are too many claims.

YOUR FRIEND IS WRONG!

Vancehu said:
He told me Honda doesn't care if the last 15 or so NSX gets sold, because people who want them will pay for the price, and if the dealership is stupid or desperate enough, they can sell it at invoice.

I think they do have an interest in moving the car, when you have a dealer who has $75,000 tied up in one car, that's 3-4 civics that they wouldn't/couldn't buy that will actually sell. I know I'm simplifying it a bit, but in the big picture that's what it looks like to me.

Vancehu said:
Scan the purchase contract of your 05, if the number is as you claimed ($73 grand), I will take that as a prove of do-able deal, and trade in my 03 for an 05. There is Long Beach Blue in South Coast Acura I would love to get my hands on.

You seem to have all the answers....good luck on getting a new '05 Vancehu!

Hothonda said:
You seem to have all the answers....good luck on getting a new '05 Vancehu!
According to you, I don't. Love to have your help by copying me your purchase contract, I can use your help to get the same deal at a local dealer. I can't pass on a deal on a 2005 for $73 grand. I have right now an offer for $69 grand for my 03, and I don't mind pay a little extra for a brand new 05. I'm serious!!!
Hothonda said:
Or you can help me by offering me the name of those "at least three dealers" so I can contact them. A sales person's name will be great.

comquat1 said:
I think they do have an interest in moving the car, when you have a dealer who has $75,000 tied up in one car, that's 3-4 civics that they wouldn't/couldn't buy that will actually sell. I know I'm simplifying it a bit, but in the big picture that's what it looks like to me.

Honda allocate cars to each dealership based on how many cars they sold from previous years. If the dealer receive NSX allocations, it's because they sold them in the previous year. Acura of Bellevue haven't sold any NSX in a very long time.

The dealers will not require to pay for new inventory immediately, because they usually don't know what they're getting untill a month prior. VIN of each car will be notified to the dealers after the car is built, before send into transit. There are different credit programs (from manufacture to dealers) on cars, 30/60/90 days. When I was working at Honda of Bellevue, WA. At the end of every month, they have a sale on cars that have been on the lot for a while. With discounted price already marked on the wind shield. It's because the dealership is running out the time on those particular VIN cars and the manufacture's credit is running out - time to pay American Honda Corp.

Southern California is notorious about it, they will have cars advertised every week below invoice, with VIN numbers or stock numbers on the advertisement. That is also a quick way to move a car that is running out of credit.

I have seen massive factory to dealer rebates on previous model year NSXs - during model year change; however, I'm not aware of any incentives for 2005. If my friend is wrong, he's shouldn't be a sales manager. He has no reason not to disclose the deal, specially they don't have any NSX in stock. He's also aware that I just bought an 03. We go way back, 10 years back. Even if they don't have NSX for sell, they still receive the same incentive information.

Last edited:
Vancehu said:

Im lost? Ive had #199/05 in Long Beach and just delivered it for $74,900. It sat for a couple of months like they normally do, and we decided it was time for her to go to a new home.:wink: New owner has another very quick NSX (CTSC) and Im glad he got it.

Ive got an 04 Yellow and 00 Yellow sitting on my showroom floor.:biggrin: Ill be adding an 01 Red and an 02 Orange by weeks end.

The Kid said:
Im lost? Ive had #199/05 in Long Beach and just delivered it for $74,900. It sat for a couple of months like they normally do, and we decided it was time for her to go to a new home.:wink: New owner has another very quick NSX (CTSC) and Im glad he got it.

Ive got an 04 Yellow and 00 Yellow sitting on my showroom floor.:biggrin: Ill be adding an 01 Red and an 02 Orange by weeks end.

Good for you! Maybe vancehu can learn from this and now acquire a new '05 & post some pictures! He somehow twisted MY $75K purchase price on my '05 Grand Prix White into $73K... then went into his tirade about his friend, his car selling days, blah, blah, blah- and basicly called me a liar unless I would provide a "scan" of my sales order...what a whiner he is!

I can see why nobody wants to make a deal with him...you must tire of
of buyers who act this way.

Thanks for posting another real world '05 NSX transaction Kid....

Yeah Vancehu they do the $7500 off deal quite a bit. I paid $74k last year for my brand new LBBP 04 last year. Basically once I found out about the $7500 I just emailed dealers that had the NSX I wanted ( four total ) and waited till I got my price.

HotHonda!!!! I'm not a fan of white cars ,but yours looks sooooooo good! What colour interior? Don't be too hard on Vancehu. I've been following his posts for a while and he's one of the best posters on Prime and a staunch defender of the NSX faith:biggrin:

Back