Failed my smog test, what to do next?

Just spoke to Ramon. He thinks the cats are the problem. He suggested I borrow some oem ones to pass. He said the aftermarket ones don't work well. He's also booked up for several weeks so I can't drop the car off with him right now.

How hard is it to put on a set (one or two)?
did you mention before that you were on aftermarket cats? I think I missed that if you did.

You can contact Angel (shoot.. for his sn). I think he's got test pipes now on his NA1. I know JCC has test pipes too but I think he's got an NA2. I will have a pair for you to borrow but it won't be for a while...

did you mention before that you were on aftermarket cats? I think I missed that if you did.

You can contact Angel (shoot.. for his sn). I think he's got test pipes now on his NA1. I know JCC has test pipes too but I think he's got an NA2. I will have a pair for you to borrow but it won't be for a while...

I'm have oem cats now. Just that they are 19 years old. Ramon thought they just might be too old. Pablo offered to loan me his cats for testing.

Just curious how much new oem cats cost? If I plan to keep the NSX for many more years, shouldn't I just get a replacement set? Do they still make oem cats for an NSX?

I'm have oem cats now. Just that they are 19 years old. Ramon thought they just might be too old. Pablo offered to loan me his cats for testing.

Just curious how much new oem cats cost? If I plan to keep the NSX for many more years, shouldn't I just get a replacement set? Do they still make oem cats for an NSX?

I think the OEM ones are over thousand each... You can try buy some low mileage used one here or get the Random Tech ones - I read that they work ok. Do a search.

One interested point is that bad cats normally have high NOx.

I really don't think it's cats either but i'm not an NSX Master Mechanic like our good friend down south. Borrowing cats is not a bad idea tho. It's free less gas and dinner for Pablo.

I have 19yo cats as well and mine passed with flying colors (well below tolerances) about 6 months ago. fyi...

With your car being 19 y/o it will be difficult at best to get the bolts off the CATs. Much easier with a lift than on your back.

New CATs will probably help you pass. The OEM ones are really expensive as nis350 posted.

Out of curiosity when was the last time you change your spark plugs?

Out of curiosity when was the last time you change your spark plugs?

We could probably measure that in years, not months. :tongue: It is on my list for Ramon when he can get to me. How's Autowave at this type of service? I could probably get to them before Ramon has time.

Maybe I should go To Autowave for spark plugs, oxygen sensors, and running a bottle of guaranteed to pass first before going through the effort of putting other cats on. It's probably the original sensors and really old plugs. What do you guys think? Does my test numbers not look like the cats are the issue?

Last edited:
Hey Guys

Look my test from 2008 compared to now. Is the max levels for passing supposed to get lower as the car gets older? Doesn't make sense to me. Do all cars have the same max levels?

2008 Test

NSXSmogTest2008.jpg

2010 Test

NSXSmogTest.jpg

Your right about them lowering the MAX. I looked at my old smog sheets also and passing number were higher back then.

I'm not sure how they come up with the max, but I know not all cars have the same max.

I think they determine the max with other 91 NSX smog specs. They probably just look a the data collect from all 91 NSX and come up with a MAX number.

SocalD - How far off are you from a major service? i.e. TB/WP, spark plugs, valve adj, etc... I think the reason why mine passed easily was because I had just recently got the mother of all major service packages from Cerritos Acura. Assuming you're due and assuming you're keeping your car for a while, then you're probably better off getting a "major" service to just take care of everything at one time. You'll save more money in the long run versus doing everything piece meal and chasing your tail in the process. I look at it as having to spend this money at some point in the future anyway...might as well spend it now and get thru smog at the same time.

just my $0.02

I can tell you from experience that Auto Wave charges more than Ramon. Both are good. For the amount of work you might need I would wait for Ramon. Make an appt. w/ Ramon now.

SocalD - How far off are you from a major service? i.e. TB/WP, spark plugs, valve adj, etc... I think the reason why mine passed easily was because I had just recently got the mother of all major service packages from Cerritos Acura. Assuming you're due and assuming you're keeping your car for a while, then you're probably better off getting a "major" service to just take care of everything at one time. You'll save more money in the long run versus doing everything piece meal and chasing your tail in the process. I look at it as having to spend this money at some point in the future anyway...might as well spend it now and get thru smog at the same time.

just my $0.02

Had the TB/WP done at 89k miles. At 109k now. But I could definitely use plugs, valve adj, etc. Also need fresh brake fluid and tranny fluid.

I can tell you from experience that Auto Wave charges more than Ramon. Both are good. For the amount of work you might need I would wait for Ramon. Make an appt. w/ Ramon now.

Good idea. I'll call Ramon again.

Remember sparkplugs.com if you have to replace the O2 sensors. They are about $200 a pop from Acura/Honda. About 1/4th that price from sparkplugs.com and they look identical. Ramon replaced mine last time, too. Good luck!

Are these the same ones from Sparkplugs.com?

SOS O2 Sensors

Are these the same ones from Sparkplugs.com?

SOS O2 Sensors

Gene, maybe. I bought the NGK ones and they mention that NTK is a division of NGK. You can find them on sparkplugs.com, just enter in your car info.

Zach from sparkplugs.com made a discount code for us for 10% off (see thread below). Code is NSXO2 (that's an O not a zero). This discount combined with their already low price and good service make buying the sensors from them an absolute no-brainer.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134948

Gene, maybe. I bought the NGK ones and they mention that NTK is a division of NGK. You can find them on sparkplugs.com, just enter in your car info.

Zach from sparkplugs.com made a discount code for us for 10% off (see thread below). Code is NSXO2 (that's an O not a zero). This discount combined with their already low price and good service make buying the sensors from them an absolute no-brainer.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134948
Thanks Bradley. Any thoughts on the Denso ones? Aren't they the OEM maker? Sparkplugs.com is having a sale on those right now. $76 for the left and $47 for the right one. Regular price is about $220 each. I want which ever one gives me a better chance of passing smog so I won't have to go through this again.

Thanks Bradley. Any thoughts on the Denso ones? Aren't they the OEM maker? Sparkplugs.com is having a sale on those right now. $76 for the left and $47 for the right one. Regular price is about $220 each. I want which ever one gives me a better chance of passing smog so I won't have to go through this again.

I don't know what the difference is between the two to be honest with you. I think you'll be fine with either, I don't think one will give you an advantage over the other for passing smog. Their might be a longevity difference but who knows...

Call an Acura parts department and get the part numbers and manufacturer for the 02 sensors. Then go to sparkplugs.com and order.

Scott is right. I believe Ramon is an NSX Master Mechanic (certified by Honda). Though I've never actually asked him :). If it was me, I would go to him for OEM type of work since you'll basically have a factory trained person working on your car. I would personally go to Autowave for tuning expertise. About to take my supercharged kit on another car for some meth injection and fuel tuning to them actually.

Nothing wrong with either one I guess but I'd go with Scott on this one.

Emissions is a finicky thing and many things could be at play. IMHO if the mechanic that you are going to does NOT have an emissions dyno / 5 gas analyzer so that they can get direct feedback, it's just going to be trial and error.

Everyone can have an opinion and guess at what could be wrong. The numbers will suggest a general direction but unless your car is hooked up to a live emissions dyno and you can for example, pinch the PVC and see the effects on the emission output or swap the cats and see the results with certainty and be able to pinpoint the problem...

It's just a guessing game via trial and error... and the only person who is going to pay the price is you. The last thing you want is to spend a bunch of money replacing "suspected" parts only to go back and forth to the emissions testing and your mechanic trying to fix the problem.

In Canada there is a service limit of something like $450. i.e if you spend $450 and still don't pass, they will give you a pass anyway but you have to test again next year. You could end up spending $450 every year until you figure out what the issue is...

Ideally, you want to bring it to someone (your choice) who is able to "guarantee" that they find the problem. Only way to do that is have emissions feedback while troubleshooting. At least the OBD2 cars have more diagnostics to ensure all components are working. OBD1 cars are not so lucky. If you have an emission problem and no CEL is coming on, it may be more difficult to pin point the root cause.

It is probably the cats. I had a gross polluter designation slapped on my car from high flow cats. I put OEM ones on there and I passed no problem.

Last edited:
You don't need a master NSX mechanic to put on 02 sensors and change out spark plugs. Any competent mechanic can do it.

I let my 14 yr. old nephew install mine :biggrin:

I picked up the O2 sensors for sparkplugs.com. Here's my plan. I'm going to do everything (O2 sensors, sparkplugs, air filter, guarantee to pass, etc) plus fluid changes, except changing the cats. If the maintenance gets it to pass, then great. If not, I'll try cats next. I want to make sure everything else is done before I try cats.

Just spoke to Ramon. He thinks the cats are the problem. He suggested I borrow some oem ones to pass. He said the aftermarket ones don't work well. He's also booked up for several weeks so I can't drop the car off with him right now.

Its pretty easy. First tine could take 45 min depending on how tight the bolts are on there. It really is simple, all u need is a 14mm wrench and ratchet or what ever size it is again.

And i know this is a little off but we have 4 02's correct? I ask cause everyone talks about tbem going out or the car running rich or lean but my headers are stock but i use anti fouler mod for sensors in the straight pipes. How will this affect the rich lean stuff? Anyone else doing this for ur set up?

Back