Factor X Racing Super Lap Battle Results

Rod knock + last minute cheeseball repair = 1 lap to get it done before it fails again.

Sounds familiar.
except 1 lap may be a bit ambitious
You forgot the other half: :)

Original cause was high sustained Gs at WOT. This does have a baffled pan and 3QT accusump. If you dont have long radius corners and large R-compound tires that you are taking flat without lifting, their probably wont be an issue. With this much grip/downforce, we have the grip to take many corners flat that we use to be off throttle or maintenance throttle. High G's, High RPM, High load for a sustained period of time = bad.
-Unfortunately these things are apart of the learning process of pushing the NSX beyond the limits that has been done before.

It's not like we tore an oil line and continued to drive it until it blew.

You forgot the other half: :)

-Unfortunately these things are apart of the learning process of pushing the NSX beyond the limits that has been done before.

It's not like we tore an oil line and continued to drive it until it blew.

nah, who would do that? i think it would be tough for an oil line to physically tear. especially a braided line. BUT, if you were brilliant enough to mount an oil scavenge pump to a moveable part, like the sway bar, odds would be in your favor of the entire line completely pulling off and pumping out all of your oil before you knew it! but, I doubt you'd be so lazy to do something so asinine. i mean, who would? HEY, for that matter, I would bet you that guy behind the counter at the local NAPA/Kragen equivalent in Bakersfield California wouldn't even recommend doing that!

but... with all that said, I'm sure every able minded person would have shut it down immediately and call the mechanic who did the work. (even in the rain on an abandoned street with no shoes, trudging through the water in search of a phone since you didn't expect to need one for your 10minute jaunt down the street) and I'm positive the expert mechanic on the other end would have told you that based on exactly what happened, he was confident that you did shut it off in time (which I'm sure was immediately after the oil light became illuminated. I mean that light does serve a purpose, right?) and he would have assured you that everything was fine AND he would have advised you to simply add oil reconnect the line, move the pump and keep driving it.

I guess you are right though, I just didn't think that "the learning process of pushing the NSX beyond the limits that has been done before." was driving down a street 4 miles from your house on the maiden journey after a six month build. I thought the engineers at Honda felt the car was capable of a little more than that.

but, fortunately for you, you probably get paid 20k for these "learning processes" not have to spend it. or should i say throw it out a window?
down the tube? into a fire? maybe - get it stolen by a criminal?

The use of racing slicks in our class will level the playing field this year for all divisions.

It does not appear so in the 2009 rule book they have posted online. Is their a supplement?

Section III-1:

All vehicles must use tires that are legal for use on all public roadways in either the​
US, Japan, or European Union.

Preparation:

Unlimited vehicles are bound to the following rules:
1. Tires must meet standards per section III however,​
no minimum

UTQG rating required

There was way too much variability over the past few years with tires.

It sounds like aside from requiring safety equipment, and the vehicle has a VIN, they allow essentially completely unlimited modifications in your time-attack class to get the job done. That being the case, how did you determine that tire compound has been a limiting factor in the past? Was one of your competitors sporting Mushimoto ZX's?

nah, who would do that? i think it would be tough for an oil line to physically tear. especially a braided line. BUT, if you were brilliant enough to mount an oil scavenge pump to a moveable part, like the sway bar, odds would be in your favor of the entire line completely pulling off and pumping out all of your oil before you knew it! but, I doubt you'd be so lazy to do something so asinine. i mean, who would? HEY, for that matter, I would bet you that guy behind the counter at the local NAPA/Kragen equivalent in Bakersfield California wouldn't even recommend doing that!

but... with all that said, I'm sure every able minded person would have shut it down immediately and call the mechanic who did the work. (even in the rain on an abandoned street with no shoes, trudging through the water in search of a phone since you didn't expect to need one for your 10minute jaunt down the street) and I'm positive the expert mechanic on the other end would have told you that based on exactly what happened, he was confident that you did shut it off in time (which I'm sure was immediately after the oil light became illuminated. I mean that light does serve a purpose, right?) and he would have assured you that everything was fine AND he would have advised you to simply add oil reconnect the line, move the pump and keep driving it.

I guess you are right though, I just didn't think that "the learning process of pushing the NSX beyond the limits that has been done before." was driving down a street 4 miles from your house on the maiden journey after a six month build. I thought the engineers at Honda felt the car was capable of a little more than that.

but, fortunately for you, you probably get paid 20k for these "learning processes" not have to spend it. or should i say throw it out a window?
down the tube? into a fire? maybe - get it stolen by a criminal?

James,

How is your car coming along? I was really sorry to hear about that. Hope everything is working out.

It does not appear so in the 2009 rule book they have posted online. Is their a supplement?

Section III-1:

All vehicles must use tires that are legal for use on all public roadways in either the​
US, Japan, or European Union.

Preparation:

Unlimited vehicles are bound to the following rules:
1. Tires must meet standards per section III however,​
no minimum

UTQG rating required

It sounds like aside from requiring safety equipment, and the vehicle has a VIN, they allow essentially completely unlimited modifications in your time-attack class to get the job done. That being the case, how did you determine that tire compound has been a limiting factor in the past? Was one of your competitors sporting Mushimoto ZX's?

The rules have since been amended to allow the use of racing slicks. The tire compound was a limiting factor in the past, as some teams ran the Hankook C91 compound. Super sticky qualifying compound. Billy ran a set that was a year old against a brand new set of R1s and was about 5 seconds faster without any changes other than tires at Cal Speedway. We tried a set also and ran significantly faster in testing but did not run them in competition due to our Yokohama sponsorship. This year should be really interesting with the new rules in place, TV syndication, and many teams debuting new cars. Hopefully, more NSXers show up to the competitions to show what an 18 year old car can do!

Last edited:
I love reading this stuff. I will have to call Mikey and ask for the story. Factor-X does some cool stuff.

awesome story guys! congrats on the race! i wasn't able to attend that race but #26 on that list yokohama/boostlogic 95 supra is my roommate so hopefully ill get a chance to come out to some upcoming events to support the nsx racers! :)

I've seen Chris Rado's times at PIR in his Scion and it is fast. You being 8 seconds faster than him at Buttonwillow is crazy. I would love to see what your car would run at PIR.

Back