• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factor X Racing FX500 Redline Time Attack Results

Well we just got back from the Redline Time Attack at Buttonwillow entering our street FX500 NSX. Probably one of the longest weekends we have had since our Baja 1000 days years ago. The track configuration was the same as the last time attack held by Super Street, configuration 13 clockwise.

Results:

1st Place Modified Class Rear Wheel Drive
1st Place Modified Class Overall
2nd Place Overall in Competition

Fastest Lap Time = 1.55.01 seconds:smile:

Will post up more details soon:biggrin:

Stats:
Driver: Billy Johnson
Car: Daily driven 1993 Factor X Racing FX500 NSX in Street Trim
Horsepower: 550rwhp-620rwhp
Tires: Toyo RA-1 235/275

Timeline:
Dec. 2nd

3:30am load up the car and drive to Buttonwillow
10:30am unload the car and tech in
11:00am Car goes out for TnT 1st lap resulting in 2:01
11:03am Car comes in smoking!
11:05am Car is diagnosed with catastrophic engine failure
11:30am Decision is made to take the car back and install our clone motor
6:00pm We arrive back in Las Vegas
9:00pm FX500 Turbo System and Engine are dropped
9:05pm Harmonic Balancer is not happy…

Dec 3rd

2:00am FX500 Turbo System Re-installed
3:00am Car is dyno tested resulting in 550rwhp/ 460ftlbs
4:00am Car is loaded on the trailer to go back to Buttonwillow
10:30am Arrive back at Buttonwillow Raceway
11:00am Unload the car and tech in
11:45am Car goes out for warm-up session yielding positive runs
1:00pm 1st Official session begins resulting in consistent 1:55.5-9 secs
3:00pm Driver instructs us to up the boost (600rwhp)
3:15pm 2nd Official session begins resulting in a best 1:55.01 secs
5:30pm Awards are presented 1st Place Modified Class RWD 1st
Place Overall Modified Class. 2nd Place Overall in
Competition

Dec 4th 2:00am Arrive back in Las Vegas with the Hardware:biggrin:

Big thanks to Billy Johnson for driving our FX500 and believing in the car. Thanks to MJ at Daliracing for over-nighting a new set of RB two piece rotors, NEO synthetics for providing us with all of our fluid needs, Downforce for all of the CF goodies, Autovation for the functional pedal set, Lahaina Grill for keeping us well fed, Seamless Gentlemen’s Club for keeping us warm at night, RC Engineering for our fuel delivery needs, Toyo Tires, Lawless Machine Shop, SRK Fabrications, Science of Speed, and Upgrade Motoring for stellar service and products!

Last but not certainly not least, thanks to all those that helped during our time of need. Rad, Capt, Ian, Shawn, Tree, Fifty, and Brunswick. You guys are the reason we came back home victorious!

Many congratulations. Another NSX victory for the history books ......... :smile:

Tell Mikey we'll talk about the MT after the Blue Devil is done......... MT want to talk to me regarding helpful hints for the twin turbo install next week ........ and I'm pushing for delivery before X'mas ......... Also need to secure a 427 LS-7X ........ :wink:

Best Regards
Paul

Esprit1 said:
Many congratulations. Another NSX victory for the history books ......... :smile:

Tell Mikey we'll talk about the MT after the Blue Devil is done......... MT want to talk to me regarding helpful hints for the twin turbo install next week ........ and I'm pushing for delivery before X'mas ......... Also need to secure a 427 LS-7X ........ :wink:

Best Regards
Paul

Paul,

I’ll pass the message on! Is that 427 LS-7X the “Warhawk Block”? It seems we are moving towards the dark side now, wait till you see this custom twin turbo viper that is being made. I still think they look like clown shoes, but the ability to make power is very nice.

menfou said:
11:03am Car comes in smoking!
11:05am Car is diagnosed with catastrophic engine failure

And the problem was ? rings ? pistons ? rods ?

Thanks for all the props guys, we felt we owed it to ourselves and the community to redeem ourselves from the prior event. It took the wind out of us when the car came in after a lap and a half. But, Billy gave us the proper motivation to make us do the near impossible. We logged over 1,200 miles, had no sleep since Thurs, had to drop a motor and turbo system, swap accessories and electronics to our clone motor, mate the clutch and transmission, re install the motor and turbo system, burp the cooling system, bleed the brakes, re-align the suspension, and dyno test the car before loading back up the car and driving 6-7 hours back to the track, only to have 30 minutes to unload the car look over, double check the work and pray everything is ok. The worst part was Rad had the worst case of gas on the return trip that I have ever witnessed, it was so bad it would make pigs vomit.

The participant field for this event was not as great as the Super Street event. However, the important factoid is the configuration was exactly the same. If you overlay the 1.55.01 with the results from the Super Street Time Attack we would have placed Top 10 knocking out the full race wide body Supra. Making only one of two limited cars in the Top 10. While I agree this is not the most fair comparison as it is a month later and we have made a few changes to the car, it is still very encouraging:smile:

I would first like to thank everyone at Factor X and who was involved with getting the car ready for the December 3rd Redline Time Attack.

I have raced in many series; Grand Am Rolex, Cup, and Spee World Challenge and have driven for some of the best teams in North America including X-factory BMW team PTG. I haveto say that the guys at Factor X have the heart, drive, and determination of the best. Their are not very many people who would do what Factor X did this weekend in order to get their NSX back and ready for the Time Attack competition.

The guys at Factor X were a pleasure to work with, they were very professional, always had the car clean and ready to go, and did whatever it took (as any great team would) in order to win. Mikey was especially great to work with, he gave me a great briefing of what all of the temps and numbers should be running at (which the car ran flawlessly during the event) as well as went over the powerband and delivery of their FX500 turbo system. Mikey gave me great information about the car and motor that I used to drive both packages to the limit.

After a very successful 1st of 2 timed sessions resulting in a high 1:55 we decided to increase the power to get some more straight line speed. Mikey made some changes to the tuning and worked with me to give me the power delivery I wanted throughout the track. We made some tire pressure adjustments and were ready for the final session. Unfortunately some stranded cars in the session before us resulted in a delay which put us out on track after 4:00pm -close to sunset. I felt that the track had cooled down a lot and had lost grip compared to the earlier session, but the increased power made up a little on the straights for the loss of grip in the corners resulting in a even faster 1:55.01, I know the car would have been faster given warmer track conditions earlier in the day (which was still much cooler than the Super Street Time Attack). Heck their was ice on my car when I drove to the track that morning.

The Factor X FX500 NSX just ran awsome. The power was very impressive, these guys definatly know how to make a fast car. The power delivery was very strong and smooth and never upset the car or kicked the car into an unwanted slide. The car had no problem throttle-steering through most low-mid speed corners if you wanted it to and it was very balanced and would respond very well to the inputs you gave it. The handling was great. If an NSX is good enough for Ayrton Senna, it's good enough for anyone. The suspension package on the car was a great compromise between street/track. It was as awsome to go down the street to get groceries as it was to set 1:55's at Buttonwillow Raceway. The brakes on the car were good, lap after lap slowing the car down from 140+mph on Buttonwillow's 1,800ft front straight. The Toyo RA-1s were very predictable and great tires to run on. We even had the RA-1s with full tread depth, they were not shaved.

What impressed me the most is that this is truly a daily-driven car. From the A/C to the sound system and subs (Many people in the stands enjoyed dancing to the thumping system of the NSX before I went out for a session) to the full carpet interrior and power windows. It truly is a fantastic comprimise of a daily-driven supercar that you can take to the racetrack and be the fastest thing on the track.

It would be interesting to see what the FX500 could do with Unlimited-class legal racing slicks, let alone what Factor X could do with a purpose built track-car.

The Car: Factor X FX500 NSX
P1010128.jpg

The Team: Victory
P1010188.jpg

Ike Chime said:
not to dim down the aura of happiness here, but which car came 1st overall?

The JIC Magic Unlimited S15 Silvia on full slicks driven by Tanner Faust clocked a 1:51. We came in 2nd running the 1:55.01 in our street car on unshaved RA-1s. Billy did one hell of a job getting her around with many limitations of the street car trim.

stuntman said:
It would be interesting to see what the FX500 could do with Unlimited-class legal racing slicks, let alone what Factor X could do with a purpose built track-car.

I'm really curious also, maybe we should see what will happen if we build one:wink:

Billy, it was an honor having someone of your caliber drive our FX500 NSX to its potential. Its amazing to see someone so young carry themselves with a proffesional attitude and back that up with ability to make things happen on the track that most people can only dream about.

Thanks again,

Factor X Racing

"In Modified Class the top dog by a large margin was the RWD champ Billy Johnson in the Factor X/Seamless Gentlemen’s Club Acura NSX. In fact, Johnson was so quick in the NSX that he beat all but one of the Unlimited Class cars with his 1:55.014 second lap. Second quickest in the Modified Class was also a RWD entry in the form of Robert Walker in his Maxrev.net sponsored Honda S2000, posting a best of 1:58.356. Third overall in the Modified Class and in Modified RWD was Aaron Bitterman in his VRT 350Z, thanks to a 2:01.245 second lap. "
_MG_0622.jpg

-David Pratte, Modified Magazine
http://www.modified.com/events/articles/13-410218.html

DSC_01104.jpg

HUGE congrats to Ken, Mike, Billy and all those who helped out. Awesome performance and showing. Thank you for showing the other cars what the NSX is capable of.

Best Regards and Congrats Again!

Danny

Factor X Motorsports said:
Paul,

I’ll pass the message on! Is that 427 LS-7X the “Warhawk Block”? It seems we are moving towards the dark side now, wait till you see this custom twin turbo viper that is being made. I still think they look like clown shoes, but the ability to make power is very nice.

Dark Side I fear not. Warhawk I embrace. Empire I must conquer.
TT Viper I fear not. Clown shoes not my size.......:biggrin:
Tell Garth Vader you must. Together we must S7-TT hunt.

Ah........enough of this talk. Need to finish up my NSX before end of year.......

I'll be calling Mikey...... Again many congratulations.......

Best Regards
Paul

Factor X Motorsports said:

First and Foremost let me also join the "choir" to add my congratulations to all the others you have received. :biggrin:

It has been amazing to watch the Factor X story unfold on Prime over the last few years. Your focus, drive and determination have really paid off. The dependability issues concerning turbos has been laid to rest in my mind and given the number of events you have participated in and other cars Roaming the streets with Factor X TURBO installations I would hope in most others minds as well.
"It is nice to see a HAPPY Continuing.":biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I would like to thank you again for being so open about about the engine failure and its cause; "VIBRATION DAMPER". Ken Sax had also lost an engine to this failure earlier this year as have some others I have heard of. I have already made changes to the engine build I have in process. Thanks for sharing and hopefully preventing myself and others from suffering the same fate. :cool:

My BEST WISHES for your continued SUCCESS.

Last edited:
Back