Eye opener...couple questions??

It's me again...been hunting hard for a nice one...noticing a very scary amount of cars with salvage titles and damage! I am guessing this particular car (NSX) was easily totaled by Insurance companies?? Maybe why so many salvage or rebuilt titles? I mean its normal for cars 12 to 15 yrs old to have been involved in an accident...not exactly "rare" I suppose for the older ones...??? My other question...Do the newer ones have the same basic maintenance schedule as the original NSX's? And thirdly...where are all the 97's thru 2001's?? See a ton of older ones ...91's and 92's then 95's/96's and then 2004's&2005's?? Odd or is it those(97thru'01) are the keepers or were there less made???

Thx and figured I would cram all the questions in here so as not to touchier you all with constant threads!!! :biggrin:

It's me again...been hunting hard for a nice one...noticing a very scary amount of cars with salvage titles and damage! I am guessing this particular car (NSX) was easily totaled by Insurance companies?? Maybe why so many salvage or rebuilt titles?

Unfortunately what seems like a small fender bender with the NSX can end up being $10k in damage very quickly. The cost for repairs escalates when using OEM parts and the fact that an all aluminium body is difficult to straighten if there was frame damage. There are a few people here who bought wrecked NSX's only to find out that the cost to repair far exceeded their expectations.

My other question...Do the newer ones have the same basic maintenance schedule as the original NSX's?

The maintanence really didn't change that much. I think it went from 60k/6yr to 100k/7yrs for basics like tb/wp. The other regular items such as oil and brakes are usually dependent on what the owner likes to do. I used to change my oil every 3k or 3mo's with synthetic. No I just change it once a year or 5k miles. I usually bleed the brakes twice a year because of the humidity down here and the propensity for brake fluid to absorb moisture.

And thirdly...where are all the 97's thru 2001's?? See a ton of older ones ...91's and 92's then 95's/96's and then 2004's&2005's?? Odd or is it those(97thru'01) are the keepers or were there less made???

Honda made many more NSX's produced from 91-93 compared with 97-01 and 02-05. There is a wiki page here that breaks down the numbers built and every color combination and tranny configuration for each year.

Also, since there were no major mechanical upgrades from 1997-2001, except for the front and rear redisgn in 2002, I think that many people keep those cars longer. Also, there are now many more body kits on the market and the cost to do the front end conversion was not as expensive as buying a 2002-2005 until recently. We have all noticed the depreciation now taking place on the 02-05's, whereas the depreciation has leveled off on the 91-94, 95-96, and 97-01 cars.
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Production_Numbers

Thx and figured I would cram all the questions in here so as not to touchier you all with constant threads!!! :biggrin:

I hope I answered your questions. I'm sure I left out some information but I'm sure a few others will chime in.

Last edited:
WOW...I had no idea they were so limited in production as the years went by...very interesting and excellent info DOC !!! Thx again appreciate all the hospitality and information EXCELLENT...all makes sense now lol but I still want one yesterday damn it!

Back