EXCELLENT Wheel Repairs - Modern Finish

No problem Rick. Take advantage of it while it lasts because my moving date is coming up soon.

My next certain day in the Bay is July 2nd. I'll more than likely be in town again before then. My SF move in date MIGHT be July 15th, depending how badly I want that condo, and I WANT that condo.

No problem Rick. Take advantage of it while it lasts because my moving date is coming up soon.

My next certain day in the Bay is July 2nd. I'll more than likely be in town again before then. My SF move in date MIGHT be July 15th, depending how badly I want that condo, and I WANT that condo.

It was good meeting you and your daughter (alana, she's a cute one for sure!)

I'm still debating if I want to do white or just stick with the oem silver finish....can you have Justin call me when he starts work?

I have another rim for him to work on so may ship him that wheel if he can do the color match.

ttyl
rick

I am starting to worry. I sent my wheels over a month ago and said that there was no hurry, but now when I emailed to check on them I receive no answere. My son wants to send his wheels, but wants to see how mine turn out first.

I am starting to worry. I sent my wheels over a month ago and said that there was no hurry, but now when I emailed to check on them I receive no answere. My son wants to send his wheels, but wants to see how mine turn out first.

They were being stripped last time I saw them. Justin wouldn't rip anyone off, he's just not so good with getting back sometimes. He's always running around picking up metal or at the other shop. I was lucky to get to him this week because he was always running around. I keep telling him, hire a secretary! Having customers email him is a new thing since his business is 99.9% local.

Justin is definitely a perfectionist though, unless it's done right and perfect to his standards, he won't stop until it is. He can also fix some fubar rims. It's quite spectacular to see.

Patience is a virtue but the results are awesome.

Last edited:
Thanks David,

My son left his Infiniti G35 with me while he is deployed overseas. He told me that if my wheels turned out good he wanted me to have Justin repair and refinish his. I will have to put his car on blocks, have the tires removed, ship them to Justin, wait for Justin to complete the work and ship them back, have the tires put back on, and then put the wheels back on his car. I really don't need my wheels back anytime soon for any other reason. The soonest my son will return is October so as long as Justin does good work and can fit me into that time frame I am good.

Good workmanship is worth waiting for.

John

Thanks David,

My son left his Infiniti G35 with me while he is deployed overseas. He told me that if my wheels turned out good he wanted me to have Justin repair and refinish his. I will have to put his car on blocks, have the tires removed, ship them to Justin, wait for Justin to complete the work and ship them back, have the tires put back on, and then put the wheels back on his car. I really don't need my wheels back anytime soon for any other reason. The soonest my son will return is October so as long as Justin does good work and can fit me into that time frame I am good.

Good workmanship is worth waiting for.

John

The powder just now arrived. He says they SHOULD be out at the end of the week. I'll check in on Thursday or Friday.

Javajohn - John, your wheels were completed today. He says they should be going out tomorrow.

S4Play - Rick, your wheels should be done and shipped early next week.

Veleno- Richard, your set of 1 piece SSRs just arrived at the shop from Arizona

Javajohn - John, your wheels were completed today. He says they should be going out tomorrow.

S4Play - Rick, your wheels should be done and shipped early next week.

Veleno- Richard, your set of 1 piece SSRs just arrived at the shop from Arizona

Koolaid, shot you a PM......

I would recommend holding off on sending anything in at this time. I don't understand what situation warrants the sudden change in service provided by the owner of Modern Finishes but to those involved, I will look into your wheels and do what I can to help you all out. Please PM me asap if you're having a problem though instead of waiting an extended period of time to do so. I have always had excellent results so I don't know why things have gone out of balance all of a sudden and I hate feeling responsible for any more current or future issues due to my initial recommendation.

S4play (rick) - you are correct in that I shouldn't have to be there to ensure that your wheels are taken care of. And I'm personally getting worn down that I'd even have to also.

John - Wish I could of been notified sooner if there was a problem. I have been so busy getting everything ready for my move in a few weeks that I've been keeping to myself lately. I assumed since I didn't hear from anyone lately that things were going smoothly.

Veleno - Please PM me with your current status.

I don't always go back looking at my threads or my posts, so PLEASE PM ASAP if anyone else out there is having an issue with this. I'll do my best to help right your wrong. Like I mention however, this is COMPLETELY out of character but I can not explain why, and I haven't been to the shop in several weeks.

So please hold off on sending anything in. I can't edit my original post but I can no longer recommend Modern Finish for everyone. I think my local little secret is possibly left exactly as that, local and my own secret. I still believe he is an outstanding character no doubt. I just can not give a reason for the recent slipping. If you are close, I still recommend him with NO hesitation. Personally, I would still have no problem sending him my work as he has repaired at least 4 damaged bent rims for me so far with excellent results. But once again, that is because he is local to me. Overall it is very unfortunate. I will ask a mod to lock the thread once everyone here is taken care of.

Last edited:
I sent a set of 96 NSX wheels with center caps to Modern Finsih last April. I paid in full for refinishing and shipping and it is the end of October and I have not received my wheels. Modern Finish will not return my phone calls or email.

It gets worse. In June after both Modern Finish and Koolaid assured me that my NSX wheels were done, looked great, and would be shipped that week, I sent my son's Infiniti wheels. Never saw them either.

I'm out 2 sets of wheels, center caps, shipping cost, pluss I had to buy my son a new set of wheels.

I would not do buisness with Modern Finish.

Last edited:
I sent a set of 96 NSX wheels with center caps to Modern Finsih last April. I paid in full for refinishing and shipping and it is the end of October and I have not received my wheels. Modern Finish will not return my phone calls or email.

It gets worse. In June after both Modern Finish and Koolaid assured me that my NSX wheels were done, looked great, and would be shipped that week, I sent my son's Infiniti wheels. Never saw them either.

I'm out 2 sets of wheels, center caps, shipping cost, pluss I had to buy my son a new set of wheels.

Yeeouch! I was wondering why you never posted pictured of the finished product like you said you would back in May.

John, sorry to hear about your wheel losses....this is very bad!

I would not do business with them either. I sent them various wheels for repair and though I did not lose as many wheels, the quality of the work is sub-par at best and quite frankly the paint finish is so bad my grandma could do a better job. Each wheel had contaminants, chipped paint and the repairs were not even done correctly. One wheel would not even hold air.

I would NOT ever do business with them either! :mad:

UPS delivered 4 NSX wheels tonight.

I paid for curb mark repair and powder coat finish.

The curb marks are still there, the wheel weights were never removed, and the finish is dull and blotchy.

KooLaid, Thanks for helping me get my wheels back. I get the feeling Justin let us both down.

Last edited:
John,

If i knew you were looking to refinish wheels there is a place in Kansas City that does that kind of work that i could have sent you too. The repaired a cast alumn enkie wheel for me a long time ago and do specailty work also. Next time let me know if you have any other issues.

The wheels look better in the pictures than in person.

View attachment 62775

View attachment 62776

View attachment 62777

View attachment 62778[/ATTACH]

John,
I am very sorry for your raw deal. And you ended up throwing the wheels away for mere $300 since they looked like shit. Talk about a double whammies!
I too was considering sending wheels to Modern Finish but decided to send them to Wheel America in Hayward. I got some color matching problems with WA but these guys are at least willing to redo them. Unscrupulous business like Modern Finish will unfortunately claim more victims for a while before bad reps catch up with them.
Steve

Last edited:
I hired Justin in March 2009 because of what I read here.
The agreed on price for the wheels was all paid for in full, March 09. Another vendor did the plug and rebore prior to Jason.
I originally shipped four wheels in March 09 after the bottom email with photos and our conversations, said he could fix them no problem.
I got 4 wheels back refinished, but no repair for the wobble. Called Justin at the end of March, he said his guys made a mistake and please send the 2 damaged wheels back.
Nice guy but he still has 2 of my wheels I have sent 21 emails and called at least that many times.
Please help...

Justin I sold the car, so I am trying to sell these wheels please send the other 2 back!!!!!

On Feb 11, 2010, at 12:27 PM, Gary Schultz wrote:

Same message Justin...
On Jan 25, 2010, at 6:39 AM, Gary Schultz wrote:

Justin,
I give up. It takes too much energy to be negative, if you can't repair my wheels kindly just send them back to me. No matter what please reply!! Gary Schultz
On Sep 17, 2009, at 2:12 PM, Gary Schultz wrote:

You have got to be kidding Justin 6 1/2 months and counting!
Please respond by sending my wheels or I will post some of this where I found you on the nsx forum! Gary 310.204.2407

Begin forwarded message:

Date: March 9, 2009 4:08:25 PM PST
To: [email protected]
Subject: Fwd: 2 really bent volk ce28nf

I have 4 forged Volk ce28nf, 7.5x17, 50mm offset, 5x114.3, (out of production for a while). 2 are good, 2 are pretty bent, if you put them on a hub bore axis they wobble 2-3". they need to be heat treated then brought back to shape with a big press, edges repaired<PICT0013.JPG><PICT0014.JPG><PICT0015.JPG><PICT0016.JPG>.
All 4 then need to be plugged and rebored to 5x112 and refinished bronze. I am seeking replacements instead of repairs, however no luck so far. I could email you images if you are interested. My business in in Culver City 90232 my phone number @ work is 310.204.3407
Thanks Gary.

Last edited:
I've been having several wheels repaired for me from a guy I knew back in High School. He owns and operates by himself a shop called "Modern Finish" (Finishes?). He can fix pretty much any automobile rims from cast to forged, whether it's a pothole bend, accident related, flat tire related, etc. He can even fix cracked rims, curbing, you name it, he can pretty much fix it. He also does polishing and refinishing, such as stripping down your stock nsx wheels and refinishing it with the desired color. He has done 2 pothole repairs and 1 flat tire damage repair for me.

Anyhow it's:
Justin @

Modern Finish
1831 E. 21st St
Merced, CA 95340

209-725-9207

[email protected]

A little help here please Mr. KooLaid...

Gary,

You're not going to get much help here. Koolaid has since moved up north and there aren't many folks who live in the area. I'll PM you in a bit. :smile:

Back