"Evora is just an NSX clone"

Pretty dull specs imo. It's like Toyota gave Lotus their Camry engine (not the IS350 engine) and they just stuck it in. I'm surprised Lotus didn't tune it to something crazy like 300+ hp.

Well, based on the simple (and stupid) data it's maybe an NSX clone as they like to call it but first it will never be an NSX in the sum of all aspects (esp. not a Lotus BIG-LOL! :tongue::D), second they needed 20 years to what they call catch up and finally and third: it's not sweet. :D

I am sure they'll come with the SC version with 290 HP ...

Pretty dull specs imo. It's like Toyota gave Lotus their Camry engine (not the IS350 engine) and they just stuck it in. I'm surprised Lotus didn't tune it to something crazy like 300+ hp.

Thought the same until I realized that Lotus lost their engine designing engineers a long time ago. And Toyota won't sell the Lexus branded engines.

Sad that Lotus isn't associated with engine design anymore. Well, to me at least.

More things NSX like:

18/19 rims.
Transverse rear engine
Look at the damn wing!
3.5l 6cyl making 275hp
weight
price

The list goes on and on. Obviously this formula is pretty damn close to the NSX.

I can't imagine the car being a hit, but who knows... personally I'd take an NSX any day over one of those... not even close!

It's fast enough for me but it's a Lotus and that's a hurdle I'm not ready to jump over.

The biggest problem will be fit and finish issues, which are always suspect in Loti. While the Elise/ Exige crowd has forgiven these issues, I doubt that Evora customers will be as understanding, they will be expecting a luxurious grand tourer.
The fragile fiberglass body is another point of contention for me, if the front and rear were plastic clad 5 mph bumpers, I'd be more interested. 5 mph collisions in parking lots will be very expensive...
Other than those issues, I like the Evora, a lot!

What I think is funny is how the magazines love the Evora but at the same time, stated that the NSX was underpowered. The new styling updates are nice but I too agree, smiling car is not for me, reminds me too much of Lightning McQueen.

Jeepers, some "hatin'" going on in that thread.

That aside (for good, I hope), nice post up Osiris! I haven't been home to get/read my most recent copy of Autoweek.

The author of that rant, which I thought was quite humorous, is a Primer known to us as "fastcat99."

"Way to go, Roger!" :biggrin: Tell it. And anytime you wanna give me another hot lap ride at Waterford I'm all in. :cool:

Good article on the Evora in this month's Automobile magazine. Jamie Kitman liked it. Interesting comment about it resembling the old Lancia Stratos from certain angles. i don't really see it as a 911 competitor however.

I'm really liking the new Evora a lot. Can't wait to see it in person. I hope final pricing on it is below $65k in the USA. I think they hit a home run with this one. It should be reliable for the most part and it is unique. Pretty car.

More and more NSX comparisons...

Local (SoCal Cars & Coffee)

and from Drivers Republic
evoradr.jpg

USA specs (if you want them)

I'm waiting for the expected 2012 SC version, saving my pennies so I can have one join my beautiful NSX in the stable.

Camry motor, GT-R roof, FTO front, 360 sides.

Looks best from the back, but then again I've always had a soft spot for the Exige...

Are they still Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious, or has Lotus caught up with 21st century engineering?

My Elise = trouble free. I like the Evora very much. I'm sure it rides and handles nicely.

You know all this does is to show me how inept Honda was.

Instead of those poor attempts in reinventing the NSX - Honda should have continued to refine the basic formula and offered an alternative to the 911.

They should have redesigned the basic mid-engined alum structure - and make the car a bit more trim and lighter. Perhaps 2,800 lbs. They have learned a lot in 15 years.

Used a 3.8 liter v6 with a turbo. 425 HP would have been just fine.

Make the styling an evolution of the old the car.

And most importantly keep the price competitive with the 911. This wet dream fantasy about competing with Ferraris and Lambos, and v10 engines etc was a sad waste of time.

Oh well, my 2 cents.

-Jim

Back