• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine steam cleaning experience.

So my car has been dripping a drop or two every time I drive and of late, I see some smoke coming from the engine hatch garnish after I stop. The theory seems to be that some oil is dripping onto the headers or exhaust causing the smoke.

I had Don at Hilltop Auto look at it and after he verified that it looked like a very small leak, he asked me to get it steam cleaned and then put some UV dye and bring it back for a look. I have a new set of billet cam plugs from sos for him.

There seems to be a wide variety of prices for this service. http://www.ajautodetailing.com/steam.html wants 145$ and up while http://www.detailplussunnyvale.com/ in Sunnyvale wanted 75$. Since Detail plus wanted much less and came with pretty good Yelp reviews, I went there. Close enough to me in Sunnyvale right off Wolf on El Camino. They did a fantastic job! The owner allowed me to peek underneath (on the sliding platform) and see if any more cleaning was needed. It was dripping a bit but I could find some deep places that needed more cleaning. I gave the guy who was cleaning a 10$ tip and pointed to a couple more places near the oil filter and he did a great job. After the cleaning, they blow dried the top of the engine and I think I'll take it for a drive now to try to evaporate any water remaining. The engine bay looks fantastic and all the aluminum is glistening. I will add some photos of the engine bay itself a bit later. I wanted to post this before I forget.

They don't cover the alternator and use some reddish de-greaser. If you are particular, you can possibly take some Alu foil there and your own paint/alu safe degreaser.

I am including some pics to help people see what this is all about in case there are people (like me) who have never seen steam cleaning before. The video and photos are with my Evo and while not great are surprisingly usable.

1162041935_taeoi-L.jpg

1162042224_ojtMQ-L.jpg

1162042302_bs8FW-L.jpg

Video of the process. Click on image below to take you to the video

Thanks for the insight, photos and video. I would think the differences in prices is due to not having too many places that do it, hence the lack of competition. I know of two detail shops in San Francisco that do it. (One of the places gave me an estimate of $900 to detail my car, and it's professionally detailed every few months.:eek: and that DIDN"T include stream cleaning.) I've been told that lots of places don't want to deal with the environmental issues associated with it here in California.

steam clean? you mean spray degreaser on the engine and use a water pressure washer to blast the junk off.

and if your worried about state laws and such, just spary degreaser on your engine and do it in your driveway with a hose and a spray nozzle and your done.

done it millions of times

steam clean? you mean spray degreaser on the engine and use a water pressure washer to blast the junk off.

and if your worried about state laws and such, just spary degreaser on your engine and do it in your driveway with a hose and a spray nozzle and your done.

done it millions of times

"Steam cleaning" as the words imply, utilize pressurized steam to clean the engine and undercarriage. It's not the same as using Gunk and a garden hose.

I don't understand your logic of "...if your (sic) worried about state laws and such, just spary (sic) degreaser (sic) on your engine and do it in your driveway..." Does that make it legal because you're doing it in your driveway?:confused:

"Steam cleaning" as the words imply, utilize pressurized steam to clean the engine and undercarriage. It's not the same as using Gunk and a garden hose.

I don't understand your logic of "...if your (sic) worried about state laws and such, just spary (sic) degreaser (sic) on your engine and do it in your driveway..." Does that make it legal because you're doing it in your driveway?:confused:

Glad my dog doesn't live down the hill, although he is pretty smart before he drinks anything. I buy him Evian from time to time.

Glad my dog doesn't live down the hill, although he is pretty smart before he drinks anything. I buy him Evian from time to time.

Red Dobbies deserve Evian from time to time.:wink:

Back