Engine Fire

dxd

Experienced Member
Going to buy an NSX within the week and I have been reading about engine fires in the NSX. What is the cause and how frequent does this occur? Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks, Dennis

never heard of an engine fire..... there was one person on here who, unfortunately, had his engine bay ignite, due to what seems to have been an improperly installed amplifier :frown:

Maybe he's been hanging out over at a competitors forum for too long. Who knows and who cares. :biggrin:

Here you go boss...No need to get snappy BU. Just asking a question about a car that I am going to pay $48,000 For!

tahoensx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi I have a 2000 NSX-T with 21000 miles and looking for a drop in engine complete. as this car had an engine fire I will also need some items from the engine bay as well. If I can not find a reasonable replacement look for the car to be sold. thanks Fritz 530 583-1164

Here's another.....

JH4NA1153NT000419 Was in an engine fire and has a salvage title. Car was repaired and sold. Also reported as odometer rollback after it was repaired.

Seen one or two others. Just wondering if this is an issue. Thanks, Dennis

Here you go boss...No need to get snappy BU. Just asking a question about a car that I am going to pay $48,000 For!

tahoensx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi I have a 2000 NSX-T with 21000 miles and looking for a drop in engine complete. as this car had an engine fire I will also need some items from the engine bay as well. If I can not find a reasonable replacement look for the car to be sold. thanks Fritz 530 583-1164

Here's another.....

JH4NA1153NT000419 Was in an engine fire and has a salvage title. Car was repaired and sold. Also reported as odometer rollback after it was repaired.

i can only think of this case is where the car was vandalized and set on fire ... as a result the insurance company totaled it and sell it through auction as salvaged car. then the new owner bought it and fixing it up.

-nat

tahoensx

Here's another.....

Engine fires are not common at all.

You must have confused NSXprime with FerrariChat, they have a few engine fire threads over there.

I believe there was at least 1 engine fire and there is a picture of it here on prime somewhere of an NSX in flames on the freeway. I also remember early topics of the insulation on the metal battery tie down bar fraying and coming in contact with the battery terminal causing a short, but that was an easy fix. Either make sure the tie down strap is in good condition, and/or reposition the battery terminal so it is away from the tie strap. It is definitely not common and more like freak accidents though.

Don't let it bother you man. You'll run into a few people on this forum that think their S*it doesn't stink, better than everyone else and will be happy to tell you your post is stupid if they don't agree with it.

Ignore them, for the few that you'll run into like this, there are many more here that will help you through anything you need to know.

Hang in there and don't worry about engine fires being commen in an NSX. It can happen to any car no matter what kind it is.

Last edited:
Going to buy an NSX within the week and I have been reading about engine fires in the NSX. What is the cause and how frequent does this occur? Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks, Dennis

I cannot imagine you have read much on here about them....an engine fire in an NSX is rare, and typically the result of some sort of modification gone bad.

tahoensx

Here's another.....

You are planning to pay $48,000 for a car that is not running and caught fire?!?!?!?! :eek: :eek:

You are planning to pay $48,000 for a car that is not running and caught fire?!?!?!?! :eek: :eek:

I agree.. can you post pics so we can see the extent of the damage?
The only engine fire I can speak of is the car my buddy has, and rebuilt after the engine fried. And older gentleman owned the car and kept it in a storage shed outside his home. He lived in Florida in the winter and came home in the spring. He came home, started his car for the first time since the previous fall to let it run for a bit, then was going to take it out for a spin. He walked back in the house and fell asleep. Once the man woke up, he had completely forgotten he left the car running. They claim that the car ran for approx. 7 hours in a closed barn with no ventilation before it melted down. So as long as you don't do that... I think you'll be fine. :wink:

- Kyle

P.S. If anything I think that's a testament to just how well these cars keep themselves cool.

Hi Guys. Thanks for the responses. The car I am picking up is a 97' with 9,600miles and is mint and has never had any fire. Original "older" owner that always kept it in his garage. I will post pics when I get her!

Thanks again. Dennis

But such a great spot for a fire: right behind your head!

Most engine fires (front engine) are so impersonal and distant.

A mid engine fire would be a nice, up close event. Zounds!

this NSX had notorious problems....

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2o_UV-iMDJ0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2o_UV-iMDJ0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

and another prime example of why NSX's are horrible cars....

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lQX0-uiY6Ko"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lQX0-uiY6Ko" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

:tongue: :biggrin: jk

in all honestly... i've never heard of such problems... and problems are probably well isolated. nothign that should deter you from jumping on...

Just a short update about my car... I talked to Comptech today (i did not realize that they are only 100 miles away) The worst case is a complete rebuild. the cost is $4700.00 and they have the missing blower for a reasonable price as well I may change my mind about selling.......

Back