Engine failure on a 2017 Grrr

Guys I have a 2017 Acura NSX with 59k miles on it.. She has always had oil changes done at the local Acura dealership... I have owned the car for 3 years now and had no issues other than a leaking left axle.. There has been no modifications done to the car. After driving it the other day it sounded like a big clunk came from the rear of my car and all ignition lights came on, it would not even let me go in electric mode. It got towed to the dealership and they have looked at it for the last week and have told me the engine has seized!!!!! WTH !!!! Where do I stand with Acura on this?? The car does have a prior rebuilt title from a small front end collisions 5 years ago when she had 11k mile on it and way before my time.. I just don't understand why a NSX with plenty of oil and regular service would have catastrophic engine failure.. I'm really sad right now
Please help on any advise
Regards
Stuart

will acura take it back for some forensics at the pmc?

performance manufacturing center where all NC1 were built. IN Ohio

ask your dealer to speak to the regional Rep about next steps.

performance manufacturing center where all NC1 were built. IN Ohio

ask your dealer to speak to the regional Rep about next steps.
Okay I'll ask them.. The dealership seem to think because the car was in a prior accident that they're going shrug their shoulders..

will acura take it back for some forensics at the pmc?
Also how "common" is this?Science of Speed stated they have already done a motor swap from catastrophic engine failure for a customer and the dealership today stated there have been 10 different NSX's this year that have gone to numerous dealerships so far that have had engine issues all with the same symptoms.. 😔

Don't know if this applies at all, but when the gen1 came out, they were "good-willing" lots of repairs not on the first owners up to around 7 years or so as i recall. I would take the carrot approach vs the stick and be VERY NICE and not mention "other" downed cars. Good luck.

The dealership would be delighted to repair your car at no charge to you - they won’t because Honda won’t be paying them to repair a car with a branded title. The warranty ( and any good will repair ) ended the day the car was totaled after the collision.

Last edited:
The warranty ( and any good will repair ) ended the day the car was totaled after the collision.
I'm no expert, but I was thinking the same thing. Isn't a salvage title basically a legal document saying "we have no idea what hidden damage there is to this vehicle"?

My state has a cursory inspection of salvage title cars before they can be registered to make sure the wheels won’t fall off but that’s about it. Many dealerships won’t work on these cars because in my experience the problems never end and it is always the last person who worked on the car who gets the blame. Of course, many repaired cars are done to a very high standard and the engine failure in Stuart’s car may have nothing to do with the collision but I would be amazed to see Honda get the checkbook out on this one.

The dealership would be delighted to repair your car at no charge to you - they won’t because Honda won’t be paying them to repair a car with a branded title. The warranty ( and any good will repair ) ended the day the car was totaled after the collision.
Sorry to hear about your engine issue. I've heard some dealerships wouldn't work on any cars that are modified or with salvage title for liability issues.

My 17 had engine failure (numerous lights on,engineers wanted it back for autopsy). This was around 500 miles, before I owned it. Handled under warranty by dealership not PMC. Of course the seller didn’t disclose, among other things. No issues 12 k miles later.

Wonder if there a common issue…seems a limited number of things can cause “clunk” and death. Timing issue, crack case or bent rod, internal debris.

Likely oiling issue with the oil pump. The oil pump has a scavenging system with 3 rotors and they are close tolerance.Pmc would want that engine back.

Back