Elise Update

As some of you know, I traded my beloved NSX for an Elise last fall. I finally
picked it up this week. I've logged about 200 miles since. Some impressions for those of you who are interested:
1) It is tiny! ride height is comparable to an NSX lowered slightly. It is about 6 inches shorter than an S2000.
2) It is noisy! I put an aftermarket exhaust on mine, but even the stock exhaust is considerably louder than a stock NSX's. Lots of wind and tire noise. Little if any sound-deadening material is used. It sounds alot like a sport-bike when you get into the cams.
3) It is quick! Low-weight means perceptable grunt even at middle rpms.
I haven't redlined it yet as I have to wait until my 1000 mile service.
4) It gets lots of looks! People either stare slack-jawed or give you the thumbs up (no middle fingers yet). My wife chuckled and said it looks like it's smiling.
5) It is raw! Radio is hard to hear over the din of the motor. Brakes and suspension components squeak. Sitting position is very central and you will rub elbows with your co-pilot. It is no grand-tourer.
Am I glad I got it? yes! I'll let you know how it holds up against the NSX as the miles and years add up, it has some pretty big shoes to fill.
Cheers, Jim :biggrin:

Keep the updates comming. I am interested and glad that you seem to be happy with it. Thanks for taking the time to post back to your old stomping grounds.

I look forward to seeing you and the Elise at Road America this year.

There is a silver Elise locally that I have encountered a few times in the NSX. I thought the NSX was small when compared to average vehicles and SUVs, but the Elise is tiny.

Were you able to test drive one before you bought it? I am itching to drive one next Spring. I think my only local option may be Fox Valley in Chicago?

Nothing can really prepare you for how small the car looks when you first see it in person. Pictures make it look sort of tall and skinny, in reality it sits slightly lower than a stock NSX but is narrower. My wife hadn't seen it in person before I bought it and was shocked by it's size (or lack thereof).
That really sounds funny and self-incriminating dosn't it?
I did test drive it last fall (test drove an '02 NSX same day). I believe Fox Valley would be your closest dealer, I bought from them and have no complaints so far. It is rumored that Fox Valley has been guaranteed the
nation's largest allocation of Elise's, apparently because they have sold the most Esprit's in recent years. FYI, the MSRP of the Elise just went up $2000
at the first of the year (due to weak dollar against the pound Lotus says).
BTW, squeaks and rattles are "normal" according to the owner's manual.
Remember, its no Honda.

There was an elise at my last track event. It was a track model from europe. Very cool looking. 1600lbs, 190HP. Unfortunetly, I think it broke and was hauled off. :(

JimK said:
1) It is tiny! ride height is comparable to an NSX lowered slightly.
What's it like to pulll 1.05 g's?

I'll let you know when the glaciers receed. Any attempts at maximum g's
right now will land me in a snowdrift.

Elise is definitely a car for the track. I drove one with the touring package at Willow Spring last summer. It is more suitable for SOW than Big Willow. It has sufficient power to go around the track but you can never have enough power. Getting out is always a chore because the steering wheel is in the way and your knee is always stuck between the steering wheel and the tall wide side sill. Feed back from car is almost racecar like. The road is directly connected to your hands through the steering wheel. You can feel the road through the thinly padded seat and it also provides good lateral support for the driver. Brake is extremely effective and there is no substitute for lightweight. If you can’t out run them, you can always out brake and out turn them. Acceleration is good until you hit the high double-digit speed. It tends to understeer in the initial turn in and becomes neutral in midcorner. After a brief test drive and back to the parking area, I almost got drown by the drooling admirers.

Back