Electric gauges with remote LCD DISPLAY

Len3.8

Here's a photo of my 5 gauges installed.
I also have 2 "on-of-on" toggle swithces, 2 12 Volt mili outlets, and a spot for an alarm LED. Not yet installed is an Avics 1 Pioneer Head unit with pop out screen and navigation. Nobody thought I would be able to get this into the center console....but I did.

Attachments

• 5 gauges in console.jpg
    5 gauges in console.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 671
stevenlee said:
Len3.8

Here's a photo of my 5 gauges installed.
I also have 2 "on-of-on" toggle swithces, 2 12 Volt mili outlets, and a spot for an alarm LED. Not yet installed is an Avics 1 Pioneer Head unit with pop out screen and navigation. Nobody thought I would be able to get this into the center console....but I did.

Thanks!!! :eek: Looks good.

Damn, Steven! I would never have thought all that would fit. Nice job. :wink: I'm going to change my gauge setup a bit, but not quite sure what yet. Perhaps there will be new gadgets later in the summer or fall. :smile:

KGP, thanks for the compliment. The photo shows the rough installation. The appearance will improve with final installation and paint. But for now I'm working on more cirtical aspects of the car.
I'll have a lot of other "tricks" on my car...some of them might work out well for your car too! Feel free to call me. I'll know more in a week or so how the mods work out.

Anyone come up with any other neat tricks?

Steven, how did your finished product come out?
If you have anything and don't mind posting some pics, please do...

Ricks used to use defi gauges to make a display in the stereo cover on the S2000, wonder if anything similar would be possible for the NSX.

Looked on the website and not listed anymore though ??

Hey Steven,

How accurate does your boost gauge read? I just installed my defi boost gauge the same type you have and it appears to be off by about 2#.

My boost gauge seems to match a mechanical gauge I used to match the wastegate spring pressures. I preloaded each wastegate to begin to open when 7 lbs. of pressure is applied to the actuator.
When running off the wastegates, my boost goes to 7 lbs. on the Defi gauge. I believe that the AEM ECU is seeing this as a couple of pounds lower.
I have heard others say that the AEM usually reads lower than the car's gauges.
I'm at NSXPO right now and can't post photos.
When I picked up my car from Factor X,the O2 sensors were disconnected. My car is averaging 13 MPG without boost. What kind of mileage are other turbo car's getting?

stevenlee said:
When I picked up my car from Factor X,the O2 sensors were disconnected. My car is averaging 13 MPG without boost. What kind of mileage are other turbo car's getting?

Steven, When driving on the freeway boostless, I was getting about 22-26MPG... Underboost was about 13-17MPG ... Not that I got to boost much...

len3.8 said:
Steven, When driving on the freeway boostless, I was getting about 22-26MPG... Underboost was about 13-17MPG ... Not that I got to boost much...

That sounds about right, I averaged about 22mpg going from Vegas to Saratoga, CA with A/C on. Underboost, probably around 12-14mpg. This is with the FX500 tuned in Vegas without any “other” changes being made after Mikey did his magic.

I am actually driving back to Vegas tomorrow morning with the FX500, I’ll report my mileage after I arrive. We are going to max this system out on the dyno for the Supra meet.

Len 3.8 & FactorX: thanks for the replies. Do your cars have 02 sensors? I wonder why my car is getting such low mileage compared to yours.
I'm reluctant to drive it until I get it running right.

stevenlee said:
Len 3.8 & FactorX: thanks for the replies. Do your cars have 02 sensors? I wonder why my car is getting such low mileage compared to yours.
I'm reluctant to drive it until I get it running right.

Steven, yes I do have O2 sensors on mine..
I plan on adding the wideband pretty soon...I don't blame your reluctance, with the kind of $$$$$'s we spent, I would make sure it is running right as well. Even if it has taken the entire summer and fall away from me.:mad:

In fact, mine needs the final tune as well.. The Tec 3 and the idle position sensor (GM POS) on mine can't seem to agree on the idle point... Something else to be worked out...:frown:

I am hoping that the correct wideband will give me much more input with the happenings of the car...

I am looking high and low for a gauge set that is as stealth as I would like it to be...
What system is on your car? The FX 400 or 500?
FX, it's time to go to Hawaii..

Len 3.8. I have the FX 500 which means a full engine build to 3.2. After many months of delays in completing the FX 500, Mikie at FX suggested/offered a twin turbo set up to compensate for the delays. I think mine is the only twin turbo system that they built for a customer. I have JDM gears and a 4.23 ring & pinion. I had FX cryo the gears to make the tranny hold up better.

I talked to a number of people at NSXPO who are familiar with FI and they were surprised that my car was delivered to me without any O2 sensors connected. Everyone I spoke with said that I should be running wideband O2 sensors. I will probablly get the AEM sensors.

I agree....I really want to get this car running right. I'm concerned that the over-rich condition could cause damage to the engine. I'm also experiencing smoking from the exhaust upon start up. I suspect that this is due to damage to the turbo seals from a mishap at FX when they first ran the car after they installed the turbos. After many months, they still have not resolved the smoking problem. They first said that HKS should warranty the turbos but HKS said that they aren't responsible for any damage to the seals resulting from the mishap.

I intended this car to be a daily driver and although I don't plan on driving it hard, I did expect to be able to drive it.

I am hoping that FX will address the problems with my car (i.e.turbo oil seals) but I don't have much confidence that they will. It has been months and no response yet....
As far as them coming to Hawaii to help me, Mikie was in Hawaii recently and didn't even contact me to let me know he was here.
I get the feeling that I'm on my own and that they don't want to be bothered with the problems I'm having with my car.

len3.8 said:
What system is on your car? The FX 400 or 500?
FX, it's time to go to Hawaii..

Len, why don’t you just run an HKS F-CON VPRO. Its been working great on our 1997 FX400 for over 6 months now? The Tec 3 is such an archaic EMS compared to what is out there now.

As mentioned before, he has the built FX500 motor only. Somehow which is beyond me, he convinced Mike that he could come down to the shop and fabricate his own system. Through his self-admitted engineering background and master fabrication skills he created his own twin turbo system with Mike looking over his shoulder (literally). Throughout the process there were many times that Mike said, he is not sure if the component he made is going to work (oiling system). As far as I know the car was driven back to Cali with Mike following him for over 200 miles, then put on a container and shipped back to Hawaii. Many phone calls were received with Steven expressing his happiness not only with the sound but also the 20+ mpg he got. In addition, Steven also offered his marketing experience for his TT system in exchange for more sponsorship dollars. After receiving his car in Hawaii, he decided to make his own changes then suddenly problems arose… During this time I was no longer with the company, but I was happy to hear that Mike honored his word no matter how bad the deal was.

I’ll see you at Dukes:)

stevenlee said:
I get the feeling that I'm on my own and that they don't want to be bothered with the problems I'm having with my car.

Steven,

Give Mike a call.

For the record: I specified to FX that I wanted 6 in diameter mufflers to find that FX installed 4 inch muflers. I was NOT happy with the sound. It was so loud that it set off 3 car alarms while I drove the car to the Long Beach Pier. One of the mufflers had a hole burnt through it and the muffler was leaking oil onto my garage floor. I did change the mufflers which were filled with oil to see if that would stop the smoking problem. It did not stop the smoking problem. The problems did not "suddely" appear after the mufflers were replaced. The changing of the mufflers stopped the clouds of smoke that came from the exhaust when the exhaust got hot. The new mufflers did not stop the smoking upon starting the engine. I changed the mufflers at my expense to determine if the smoking was from existing oil in the mufflers or new oil entering into the exhaust.

On the bright side...Mikie did call me today and promise to send replacement turbos within the next few weeks. I believe that his intentions are good and that he is dealing with some circumstances that are beyond his control.

I wish him the best and hope that everything works out OK for everyone.

stevenlee said:
On the bright side...Mikie did call me today and promise to send replacement turbos within the next few weeks. I believe that his intentions are good and that he is dealing with some circumstances that are beyond his control.

I wish him the best and hope that everything works out OK for everyone.

You may want to verify these statements. I agree, Mike intentions are always good. He is one of the most giving individuals out there, and unfortunately many people tend to take advantage of him.

Factor X Motorsports said:
...unfortunately many people tend to take advantage of him.
And I thought that Brian was never alone in a room with Mikey! :biggrin:

KGP said:
And I thought that Brian was never alone in a room with Mikey! :biggrin:

The "people" I was referring to are the wonderful company we have at Saphhires :biggrin:

Yea, it would be nice to have stealthy gauges. I don’t like the gauge pods too much too so I just run boost, afr, rpm, ait and coolant temp from the AEM. I have my boost controller on top of sun visor so it is not visable….

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 157
Back