Eclipse hoods...never understood

I always thought is was necessary to allow for clearance of the timing belt cover. Does the GS have a different motor than the GSX/GST (other than the turbo)? Can't say I've seen under the hood of too many GSes in my day.

not sure...i believe they do have the same motor. although with the Dodge/Neon alliance, i've heard the GS is a Neon motor and the GS-t is a mitsubishi exclusive motor? I don't know too much though.

I can understand the "style" claim...if it was stylish. It's not centered, balanced, nor does it look effective.

Mustangs have fake scoops to mimic the older style mustangs (new ones are functional)

i always thought i had something to do with the turbo on the turbo cars and that they just made one hood to keep costs down. But now that i think about it i'm not sure y the turbo would need that hump.

Perhaps this will shed some light.

From http://www.hardrive.com/reviews/eclipse.htm

That lower cowl gives greater exposure to the second styling point, increasing the prominence of the bulge, located directly in front of the driver, required to fit the 2-liter turbomotor under the low hood. To some, that bulge whispers "power." To others, "unfortunate engineering fix." Is it a bug or a feature? Drive it and decide.
FWIW, my Stealth had similar bulges over the front shocks, which made it both functional and aesthetically appealing (to me anyway).

NoClgDeg said:
Style. Why does Ford put a fake hood scoop on the Mustang? Style.

There is NOTHING stylish about the fake scoop on a Mustang. My wife has one and I work at a Ford dealership and I think they look very tacky.
IMO

92NSX said:
There is NOTHING stylish about the fake scoop on a Mustang. My wife has one and I work at a Ford dealership and I think they look very tacky.
IMO
Really? I like it well enough; it's the rest of the car that I don't particularly care for--like the dated interior!

As Milz50 suggested, the hump is required the clear the timing belt cover. It's the hightest part of the 2.0 turbo engine. I don't mind the hood styling...

Attachments

• talontopend.jpg
    talontopend.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 152
Back