eBay - 93 Black NSX 59k mi - $21,980 jh4na1155pt000487

fyi.

this was the last two reading on carfax. where was this car for the last 8 years? I called and they said that the front end was repaired.

04/14/1999 75,000
Phoenix, AZ

SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

DSC06217.jpg

The tenths place also looks faded.

that is quite possibly the most 'un-glossy' paint i have ever seen on black. it looks like it was repainted matte black?

Maybe I put a deposit on this car last week and just recently found this post :eek:

Advice please!!! (oh, the deposit is refundable if I don't like the car when I go down to Houston to see it)

so a dealership pulled an ebay auction, removed a car from their webpage and is telling people that a car is sold because you have a REFUNDABLE deposit on it? you put a deposit on a car LAST WEEK that was listed on ebay 2 days ago?

sounds like you should check on your deposit

so a dealership pulled an ebay auction, removed a car from their webpage and is telling people that a car is sold because you have a REFUNDABLE deposit on it? you put a deposit on a car LAST WEEK that was listed on ebay 2 days ago?

sounds like you should check on your deposit

Sorry, last week as in yesterday (saturday), they ended the auction after I put the deposit down. Deposit was made though paypal with my credit card, so a chargeback isn't an issue if they don't stay true to their word.

Any advice on the car?

yea, i'd stay away from it unless you were looking to buy it for 18 grand or wanted a track car.

you'll never get your money back on it for two simple words...

SALVAGE TITLE.

And the fact that they say the front end was repaired (making it seem minor) yet you can see that they had to repaint most (if not all) of the car would scare me for a few reasons.

look at the vin tag that they had to tape up to repaint around... long way back for a front end repair...

look at the headlight bolts... kind rusty; car's been outside for quite a while. weird that you would repair the front end but leave something like that also... makes ya wonder how thorough the repair was to begin with. fender bolts are the same way. a hit that required replacement of all those parts (hood, fenders,headlights, bumper) is kinda hard to NOT have frame damage i would imagine... i might buy it if it said fendeR or headlighT but both? nah.

the rear quarter panel bolts are the same way... whatever they did to this car required the removal of the rear quarter panels? i might understand that if they did a really great repaint for the repair but i can't see that since they left the rusty bolts. wonder just how much stuff has been off this car to fix it...

the front compartment shot bothers me... certain things are 'too clean' whereas other things are really dirty (fuse box cover vs radiator hangers, etc)... a lot of parts have been replaced on this front end.

and the worst part... the car has 60k on it... chances are its been sitting almost forever since it got hit (sometime 8 yrs ago according to carfax with no recent registrations)... its probably on the original timing belt even though it has been long due... add 2k to bring that up to spec.

although i'm not there and cant look at it, your best bet is to have it taken to an independent dealer and have them inspect it for you... they should tell you quite easily if the repairs were done as they should have been or if you are going to have work to do yourself when you pick it up.

if it were me, i'd get my deposit back and buy one I didn't have to worry about for a few bucks more...

Thanks for the quick reply. Perhaps I should clarify what I want out of this car first. I plan on buying an NSX for a daily driver. I also plan on driving it until the wheels fall off - so resale is not an issue. The car looks decent and I will take it to a dealer to have it checked out before I buy it. I don't plan on racing it, so the car will never be pushed to the limits (in which case the fact that this car has been wrecked would be a huge factor). Finally the car is dirt cheap and I don't mind putting a little work into it to bring it up to par. Of course if it is a total hoopty, I will leave it be and get the deposit back or file the chargeback. The dealer seemed so confident that I would be impressed with the car they are paying for my hotel and transfers and offered the refundable deposit. They mentioned the only problems they had are a missing spare and one bose speaker pops and squeals (they agreed to pay to fix both of these, however I will use the speaker money towards an all-in-one nav system)

In a few years I will be done with residency and I will be making very good money - in which case any major repairs (good paint job etc.) to the car can be done.

Here is my plan:
Get it checked out by a dealer
Bring the price down to around 20K
Plan on doing several upgrades to the car to bring it up to shape
Drive it till the wheels fall off

they would have to bring it under 20k for me to be interested if I were you...

for 20k you get the car, spend 2k on getting the timing belt / water pump (so now you're back at 22large) you might have a decent deal considering the repair work was done properly and you plan do drive it till it rusts to pieces (ie forever).

if you can live with the down side of a vehicle like this (whatever it may turn out to be) then you should do alright.. we'll see when you get the PPI back...

they would have to bring it under 20k for me to be interested if I were you...

for 20k you get the car, spend 2k on getting the timing belt / water pump (so now you're back at 22large) you might have a decent deal considering the repair work was done properly and you plan do drive it till it rusts to pieces (ie forever).

if you can live with the down side of a vehicle like this (whatever it may turn out to be) then you should do alright.. we'll see when you get the PPI back...

I guess I will have to look at the car first. As of now, it looks like I will get the car for very cheap - much cheaper than an NSX should be. So I don't mind putting a little money into it, just as long as there are no huge flaws.

its unbelievable how much these early 90's nsx are valued at now. They were cheaper two-three years ago. I've definitly seen a appreciation for the early 90 models

For sure, thats part of the reason I am going in on this one. I like the 93 for several reasons: hardtop, new AC config, new center console, no risk of snap ring, and since this is my daily driver: cupholder!

None of the 93's ive seen are priced anywhere NEAR this one. I will check the car over with an acura mechanic to make sure nothing is real fishy about this one - otherwise I will let it lie.

I guess I will have to look at the car first. As of now, it looks like I will get the car for very cheap - much cheaper than an NSX should be. So I don't mind putting a little money into it, just as long as there are no huge flaws.

Remember one thing. You get what you pay, and if you're looking for a cheap NSX, most likely it's going to be a rat.

Cupholder!
It's certainly not what you would think of as a cupholder if you've seen any other car in the universe.
It's just a little device that sits on the rear part of the center console. It is almost useless when sitting still and your elbow will knock it over when you try to shift.
Mine sits on the workbench in the garage, it's probably more useful there.
Sulley

My 1991 has 3 times the mielage of this car and its interior is ten thousand times nicer...I hate to say that this car's interior is questionable...but man...it has some issues...lots of chips and scratches...the person that owned this car did not take ownership seriously...they drove the shiet out this car!!

I am out!!

Dam

Im glad he bought the car and not me trading my 350Z for it. not saying that My Z is worth more than a properly maintained NSX, but definitely worth ALOT more than that car... good luck if you decide to buy it... as for me, I have another nsx lined up :D

Any tips on what to ask the dealer mechanic to check for in particular. Of course I will check for any signs of frame damage/repair. I would like to turn this rat into a gem and keep one more NSX from abuse

Back