• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Early Toyota FJ 2007+

Checking if anybody has anything good or bad to share about FJ. Looking to pick up somewhat high mileage 70k+ probably 2007 with automatic gearbox. They run for 17-19k right now which I think is very good price for what it is.
Sure gas mileage is weak but what such a car I think it's alright. Would I want turbo-diesel engine in it? Sure. But let's not talk about MB engine swap :)
Seems like those 4.0 V6 are very reliable engines. And overall there is nothing else except XTerra which I don't like anyway.

Primary use: semi-long distance travel to somewhat remote destinations with unpaved stretches. Short trips to local hikes etc.
Daily use around town for general purpose.

Thoughts? Any experience? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
2014 is the last year for the FJ. I suspect their value will hold from here on in.

If you're looking at a 2007 model, go for the black trd edition that came out that year. It's highly desirable. All black roof with trd wheels.
I'm on my second fj. 2013 trails team. Traded in my 08 trails team for it. Never had an issue with either car. I only traded in because of the color. Great cars

We had an 07 in our fleet for 3 years. It was confiscated in a drug raid. It had the TRD supercharger already installed by the previous owner. For those 3 years we had zero issues. Only complaints by everyone was the blind spots in it. I never really drove it so I don't know about the blind spots but it was bulletproof otherwise.

Drug Raid?!!?

If you're looking at a 2007 model, go for the black trd edition that came out that year. It's highly desirable. All black roof with trd wheels.
I'm on my second fj. 2013 trails team. Traded in my 08 trails team for it. Never had an issue with either car. I only traded in because of the color. Great cars
I don't think it's easy to find one. I've been looking around for few weeks now to understand pricing and market availability and there are just few cars for sale. Given colors and somewhat low mileage I need.

We had an 07 in our fleet for 3 years. It was confiscated in a drug raid. It had the TRD supercharger already installed by the previous owner. For those 3 years we had zero issues. Only complaints by everyone was the blind spots in it. I never really drove it so I don't know about the blind spots but it was bulletproof otherwise.
Yeah that C pillar is large for sure.

Do you recall what mpg you were getting on the hwy at around 60-70mph? It shouldn't be too bad + reg gas also.

My father has an 07 or 08; purchased new and has 120k+ on it. It's his DD and hunting vehicle. The truck has sustained massive stress to the chassis and drive train. Conservatively, it's done 2-3k hard miles off road including fast river crossings. The only time he's been stuck in the FJ is when he managed to rip some wiring to a sensor on the underbody which made 4wd inaccessible until the dealer repaired the wire for $100. He drove into a massive mud pit before he realized he was stuck in 2wd.

I've borrowed it before and have probably done 1k miles. It averages high teens and you can get up to 22 on the highway if you take it easy. Read up on the regular vs premium debate. If you don't mind the unusual visibility and 2 standard doors you'll probably like it.

Back