early nsx vs. late models

I have read the changes in the NSX year to year, and another thing intrigues me. I have noticed quite a few sigs from other people on here that say they have a 91 NSX. Beyond the performance boosts, as well as the other changes, is the reliability of an older model NSX typically the same as that of a newer one? The reason I ask is that *typically* 91 NSX tend to go for about 25-30k and the later models of about 95+ go for about 40k + Would getting a later model simply mean that you get to enjoy the small updates, or is there something distinct in say, repairs, or maintanence on an older NSX...if there's no big difference, i'll probably just go for an earlier model.

If you have been reading these things forever as you stated in your other post Johnathan you would have found that a well maintained 91 is just as good as a new nsx. If you look in the
navbar.gif

FAQ's section there is a detailed list of what to look for when purchasing a early model nsx.

I also did a search and came up with at least 20 post which covered this subject i guess its just easier to make a post and wait for someone to do the work for you.

Acura NsX Pilot said:

I also did a search and came up with at least 20 post which covered this subject i guess its just easier to make a post and wait for someone to do the work for you.

As Johnny Storm would say, Flame ON!!!! :D :cool: :p

Fuse said:
Would getting a later model simply mean that you get to enjoy the small updates, or is there something distinct in say, repairs, or maintanence on an older NSX...if there's no big difference, i'll probably just go for an earlier model.

I have to disagree with your small updates assessment. In my opinion these were major updates!

From the FAQ:

Changes for 1997
· Three new colors: Kaiser Silver, Monte Carlo Blue, Spa Yellow
· Coupes can be special ordered with either a black top or a body color top; -Ts still have body colored roofs
· New wheel color on all wheels: Blades Silver (a bright machined/brushed looking finish)
· Larger front and rear brake rotor diameters and rotor thickness. The bracket and the rotors are the major change
· Front caliper pistons went from 40mm and 34mm to 40mm and 36mm.
· Larger engine displacement (bore increased from 90mm to 93mm) from 3.0L to 3.2L on manual transmission cars. Model number for new engine is C32B.
· Horse power increase from 270 hp to 290 hp and torque increase from 210 lbs-ft to 224 lbs-ft (manual tranny)
· Different exhaust manifolds, now stainless steel and free breathing
· Different cylinder linings, fiber reinforced (FRM)
· Larger intake valves
· Different head gaskets
· Larger connecting rod bearings
· Numerous emission control system changes
· Six speed manual transmission - 6th gear is engaged by a solenoid. The gearshift activates a switch to change gears.
· Double synchros on 3rd through 6th gears
· Lockout of reverse gear above 12mph
· Dual-disc clutch changed to a single disc clutch
· Dual mass flywheel
· Larger diameter spare tire to clear new brakes
· Stronger, thinner aluminum body panels
· Heat absorbing glass instead of bronze glass
· Immobilizer anti-theft system with coded key using an electronic transponder. No more all-metal keys.
· Ignition switch light went away to make room for the immobilizer antenna.
· Improved NVH (Noise Vibration and Harshness)
· The final gear ratio does not change, so 6th gear in the 1997 NSX results in 6.9% higher vehicle speed than 5th gear in the 1996 model.
· New aluminum alloy in selected body areas to reduce weight and increase rigidity
· Larger spare tire size (from 15 in to 16 in diameter)
· Refined electronic power steering control
· Revised shape of the front spoiler
· Refined ABS braking system
· Improved Traction Control System (TCS) with new control logic

The early model NSX was once ranked #1 in JD Powers and Associates 5 year dependabilty survey.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/Surveys.htm

I recall that in another post you are only 20. Most of the time you really do get what you paid for. Most NSXs that are well below what the asking price is are poorly maintained examples. You might save some money on the initial purchase, but I can guarantee in the long run you would have been better off shelling out more money to begin with for a better one.

Bottom line is the NSX is a reliable car regardless of model year. However, you will see some people complaining how unreliable an NSX is. If you read closely to the posts of these owners, you will see that they bought a used and poorly maintained NSX to begin with. This is hardly an accurate measuring stick of the NSXs reliability.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I just like to get opinions, regardless of what I read about something. That's not saying anything on here is bs, just saying that I always like to get outside opinions.

Back