DTR light/turn signal controller

Does anyone know of a controller around to make an integrated DTR light cut off when the turn signal is on?

I did some experimentation with relays but didn't get the exact desired effect.

DTR? Do you mean the parking light in the turn signal or the side marker light?

No I mean an aftermarket DTR light. I've built integrated DTR/turn signal lights.

A customer wants a set that act like the chrysler DTR's and cut off when the turn signals are on.

You can just go to the signal at the switch the driver operates. When you operate the turn signal, it sends a constant 12v or ground(most likely a ground through a resistor) to the fuse box (or body control module in some cars). The flasher then sends a pulsed signal to the light. If you tap in at the switch and run the DTRLs off of a relay it should solve your problem. Depending on the polarity for the turn signal, you can run the power in on 87 and power to the DTRLs on 87a and use the turn signal polarity from the switch to break the circuit using 85 and 86.

- - - Updated - - -

Crappy drawing.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The drawing above would be for the Chrysler since they use a ground through resistor for lights usually. I need to know what kind of car to fine tune my awesome drawing.....

That sounds like a plan. I tried to do something similar but was usuing the pulsed signal at the turn signal which made the white and amber lights alternate which is a no go! Do you know where there is a position on the car to tap into that constant from the turn signal? If I can find that I should be able to wire the rest no problem.

Sounds good. I appreciate the help. I'm trying to get everything together for a customer to wire it once I send everything back to him and the DTR's will be plug n play with the parking light switch and the turns will function normally.

We have explored this option for our customers and our LEVEL 2 LED DRL modules have the "smart" logic module that allows exactly this to be done.

In fact you can program it to shut off the LED lights on each side individually when the blinker is activated. This is the same operation of the AUDI OEM system and required by law in some states. The reason for this is to avoid the LED lights to wash out the blinkers and thereby the other driver will not see your blinker from the front of the car. Usually this is required on cars where the LED light and blinker are within close proximity of each other.

You can also achieve this from using relays and diodes but it's a much more complicated affair.

Back