Driving my new NSX Florida to California...Advise?

Hi stevenlee,

Congrats on your purchase. As far as things to check before making the trip, I think most has been said already. Most important things to check before (and sometimes during) the trip is the oil level, coolant fluid level, tire condition. Check the spare and toolbox is complete, including the pump.
Since you plan to take the car up to speed, you might also want to check the level of brake-pad wear.
Things I always keep in my car are an extra liter of oil, my sponge and carwash to keep the car clean, some stuff to wipe of the windshield, a set of spanners, a set of working gloves and a roll of paper or rag to clean my hands if necessary and a roll of adhesive tape in case I have to keep something fixed to the car. Also, spare lightbulbs for the headlights and taillights and spare fuses in case one blows.

As for taking the car to its topspeed, 165 mph should be easy but if you get if over 170, don't be surprised.
Things to watch for?? As far as the car is concerned, very little. If allright, the car should feel stable even at that speed. But you really have to look out for the other traffic. It will be very very slow compared to you ;)

Have fun while driving. You will love it.
Trust me.... :D

One more important thing you will need to really consider purchasing before you make that long trip.... A really good bra and side mirror covers:)

Congratulations! As someone who has just....

undertaken a 1200 mile solo trip from southern Florida to Texas, I would ask that you not forget two things.
One is a camera, digital would be better. Take plenty of pictures of your historic drive.
The other is a tape recorder. I used this to log in interesting moments, sights, incidents, weather, car handling characters, anything at all so that you could have a useful and fun history of your run from the East to the West Coast.

If you do decide to go through Houston, let me know what day and we can exchange phone numbers and I would be more than happy to go out to a certain point on the I-10 in my '94 NSX and we can have a little get together. You can PM me if you wish.

The drive from Houston to El Paso is desolate but you could go visit the Carlsbad Caverns near El Paso, something you will not regret doing. Also, the Southern route is a comparatively short.

I am glad you have your son with you. This will be particularly memorable for him and you should record this trip with a video camera as well as still pictures.

Best of luck and God Speed.

:)

Speed for Highway Travel

I have a simple formula - I always go 10mph over the posted limit. So if the limit is 55, I drive 80. If the limit is 60, I drive 80. And where the limit is 70, I drive 80.

Seriously I would wait for a track event when you are alone in the car to think about a top speed test. This seems ill-advised when family members are with you in a car you are not familiar with. It will accelerate wonderfully quickly to 100mph, that should be fine for some fun on the trip home.

Ken, do you know where I can get a clear bra for my car?
Second, good advice about the tires. I blew my front, three week old Bridgestone Potenza S0-3 going from Chicago to Detroit. I was going about 130 mph for 20 minutes or so - from prompting by a modified WRX - and I'm not sure that was the cause. Aren't these tires z rated?

I will admit it was very very hot on the day I got a flat.
Additionally, I had to call two different tow trucks - I needed a "low loader" because of my mods. Luckily, I was four miles from my home town, but no one wants to be stranded in a strange, unfamiliar area without proper/available assistance.

As to the other point mentioned, I always freak out about leaving my car anywhere. I just don't park it anywhere in the city - and I wouldn't dream of giving it to the valet. Unfortunately, I was at a mall in Novi, MI and I double parked because there were approx. 20 spaces surrounding me that were available (I was sloppy and thought it was no big deal). Well, a teenager saw my car and commented that I was "lucky" that my car wasn't keyed because I double parked. Let's just say I don't double park if I do park anywhere.

Make sure and use the bathroom before you leave!! :D j/k

But seriously thou, I made a trip from New Orleans to Houston when I got my NSX. No issues. Even got the NSX to 155 on the way home. Man, did that way me up! ;)
Have a safe trip!
Z

Hate your route

Why are u taking such an extreme southernly route? It's been awhile but I drove back to AZ from PA and went south to NC and then straight west from there which took me thru all of TN and I believe I came thru the top part of TX and then thru NM -----I don't see why u want to go thru Houston and then get up to Kingman, AZ--If you go thru Phoenix, it's a straight shot to LA, CA....Maybe you are taking side trips to see people??
I guess I should have said why the deviation up to NM and Kingman because the southern route will not take one close to those areas-- It would take you to Tucson via I 17 and then Phoenix where you merge into I 10 which takes you to San Bernadino and then to LA...I checked www.mapquest.com

By the way----it will be very very hot coming west on the southern route--even more so in TX and AZ---the best time to visit the grand canyon is in the spring or fall--it will be one hot red rock area. You could not pay me to go anywhere close to Houston, TX at this time of the year....

Last edited:
Re: Hate your route

jrehner said:
Why are u taking such an extreme southernly route? It's been awhile but I drove back to AZ from PA and went south to NC and then straight west from there which took me thru all of TN and I believe I came thru the top part of TX and then thru NM -----I don't see why u want to go thru Houston and then get up to Kingman, AZ--If you go thru Phoenix, it's a straight shot to LA, CA....Maybe you are taking side trips to see people??

Believe me, from someone who has driven across the country many times, stay on I-10 as much as possible!!! I-40 is perpetually under construction, and has terrible road conditions to boot. I-70 is a little better than I-40, but it is too far north for your trip. I-10 is definitely the way to go...

In my humble opinion:

If you are planning to drive that great a distance with your 16 year old son, in a car that you do not "know" yet, I would not be looking to "open the car up" as you say, hoping to get it to 155mph. Wait until you get it home and can have it thoroughly inspected and have driven it awhile before going for the limit. Additionally, when driving at "if you crash you are dead" speeds, I feel that they should always be done alone, or with an adult that understands the risks involved in driving at the limit. If anything goes wrong at that speed, you will never forgive yourself!

Again, this is only my humble opinion, as I am in no way trying to tell you what you should or shouldn't with your vehicle or your child.

:p

jrehner said:
Why are u taking such an extreme southernly route?
Because it's the shortest, most direct route from Tallahassee to Los Angeles, perhaps?

When you start out on one side of the country along its southern coast, and you're driving to the other side of the country within a hundred miles of the southern border, an extreme southernly route makes sense, no?

I assume the extra distance to cut north via the Grand Canyon is for sightseeing purposes...

GinaK said:
Ken, do you know where I can get a clear bra for my car?
Hi Gina,

This is discussed in two previous topics here on NSXprime:
here, and here.

One of those topics led me to 3M's website about this product, which is here. If you go there, you can click on the logo to find a professional film applicator in our area.

They have two places listed in the city, but one of them is an error and is actually in St. Charles. :eek: Here's the name of the other one:

Auto Tinting And Stonegard
1160 Hubbard
Chicago, IL 60622
Phone: 312-953-1028

I have never used them, and I don't know of anyone who has.

GinaK said:
Second, good advice about the tires. I blew my front, three week old Bridgestone Potenza S0-3 going from Chicago to Detroit. I was going about 130 mph for 20 minutes or so - from prompting by a modified WRX - and I'm not sure that was the cause. Aren't these tires z rated?
A properly-inflated Z-rated tire should not blow out, even when going 130, and even on a very (very!) hot day. Sounds scary; I hope no one was hurt and nothing was damaged other than the tire. Was it actually a blow out, or just a flat? Flats are usually caused by punctures, or occasionally by improper mounting techniques along the valve stem or bead.

stevenlee said:
We'll be passing through: Pensocola, New Orleans, Houston, San Antonia, Carlsbad, Albuquerque, Grand Canyon, Kingman, etc, en route to Los Angeles. It would be great to see some frendly NSX faces along the way!

Aloha!
Steve

If you do end up passing through Albuquerque, let me know! I'd be happy to show you around here. I could meet you on I-40 on the east side of the city and I can take you on a spirited detour up to Sandia Crest. Then, I can take you to one of the zillion restuarants here in town that cook Mexican food the right way!

I haven't been on I-40 in a few months, but there is a bit of construction going on near Gallup. The last time I was through there, it wasn't that bad at all and the traffic didn't slow down much.

Chuck

Stevenlee,

Is your '94 red with a roof that has been painted body color? And did you just pass through Grants NM in the past half hour? If so, you have been spotted!

Where Is Hotter ??

jrehner said:
You could not pay me to go anywhere close to Houston, TX at this time of the year....

Now that's the pot calling the kettle black. :cool: Respectfully, it should be the other way around.....your high temps in Phoenix are at least 10°F more than ours.

Too Late

Stevenlee, Is your '94 red with a roof that has been painted body color? And did you just pass through Grants NM in the past half hour? If so, you have been spotted!

He left for his journey four days ago. Unless he has a laptop with him, he will not know this until he logs on at home in Hawaii several days from now. Humorous observation - even after Steve left for his road trip (check his post where he says this begins on August 1st) driving suggestions are still being offered. And since he flew from Hawaii to Florida, that means he probably has not visited here since July 31st.

Then again, Steve is probably a pretty cool dude with a portable lappy and knows what we are all saying about which roads to take. :D Therefore, it all boils down to this "Andy is, well, just being Andy." :) Back under my rock.

what a ride it would be. hope him and his son are having fun and safe.

AndyVecsey said:
He left for his journey four days ago. Unless he has a laptop with him, he will not know this until he logs on at home in Hawaii several days from now.
Yes, but my post has a date and time stamp on it. Whenever Steve checks back in here, he will know when that car was spotted, and whether he was passing through that location at that date and time.

Cool Houston LOL

U got me laughing---it's a dryyyyy heat in AZ, at least right now---I lived in Houston years ago and although it's a little cooler degree wise---the humidity----well let's not even go there

From the New York Times, July 18, 2003:

Records Fall as Phoenix All but Redefines the Heat Wave

By NICK MADIGAN

PHOENIX, July 18 — When the sun shines all year long, as it does here, a heat wave is a heat wave only if things get really toasted.

This week, the toast has burned to a crisp.

On Monday, the temperature here soared to 116 degrees, a record for the date. Overnight into Tuesday morning, it dropped to only 96 degrees, making that the hottest night in Phoenix history. On Wednesday, the high was 117, the hottest of the year so far and one degree short of the city's record for that date, set in 1925. There has been more of the same since.

If, as forecast, temperatures remain at current levels — the average high so far this month is 111 degrees — Phoenix will be on track to record its hottest July since the onset of record-keeping here in 1895.

So how hot was it this week? It was so hot that rubber flip-flop sandals stuck to the asphalt at street crossings. It was so hot that a woman who fainted and fell face first on a sidewalk was rushed to a burn unit, her skin scalded by the searing pavement. It was so hot that planes coming in to land at Sky Harbor International Airport were buffeted by turbulence, a result, a pilot said, of heat rising from the desert floor.

"It does get a little warm," Bob Cummings, a Cincinnati native who retired in Phoenix two years ago, said with the understatement of someone who is simply too hot for hyperbole.

In such conditions, when heat hovers like a dull ache, Phoenix residents go outside as little as possible and walk slowly when they do, mindful that exertion just creates more heat. "A lot of people don't leave their houses," said Tara Hixson, 24, who was working the counter at a Häagen-Dazs ice cream store and so had little choice in the matter. "It's our winter: everyone stays shut in."

That could have accounted for the dearth of customers not only at the ice cream store, where you might well have expected throngs, but also in the rest of Biltmore Fashion Park, an outdoor shopping mall. Ms. Hixson, who moved here from Rapid City, S.D., four years ago, said she had grown accustomed to the oppressive summers, to the extent that anyone can. "It still hits you like a ton of bricks," she said. "The comfort is that for nine months of the year, it's gorgeous."

The highest temperature ever recorded in Phoenix was 122 degrees, on June 26, 1990. The city averages about 90 days of 100-plus temperatures a year. When the real heat hits, the comforts of air-conditioning can require a premium. The systems in at least five restaurants broke down this week, presumably overtaxed, prompting some repairmen to demand outlandish prices to fix them. Some homeowners got the same treatment. "My A.C. breaks every summer," said Brian Raab, a 27-year-old bartender, "but usually it's $250 to fix it; this time it was $700."

At the Santa Fe Court apartment complex in Tempe, a Phoenix suburb, tenants lost all air-conditioning on Sunday evening and enjoyed little respite throughout the week. Some did check into hotels, demanding refunds of their rent. But others had to make do with sleeping on wet sheets, electric fans blowing on them.

One resident there, Jose Antonio Rodriguez Cordoba, a prep cook in a restaurant, said he had sent his two boys, ages 7 and 9, to stay with an uncle of theirs who was blessed with air-conditioning. As he spoke, his two girls, 1 and 4, slept fitfully on a couch, a humming water-filled air cooler pointed at them. "My children have been crying; they're drowning in this heat," Mr. Rodriguez said. "The minute I get my paycheck, I'm checking into a hotel."

Marie Dozier, another tenant at the complex, said it was so hot at 4 a.m. on Thursday that she drenched her dog and three cats in the bathtub and took a swim in the pool.

"It's been terrible," said Ms. Dozier, who was told that the landlord was awaiting delivery of a part before the air-conditioning could be repaired. (A woman who answered the phone at the landlord's office today said the system would be fixed by day's end.)

To be sure, the heat here this week remained a few notches shy of that in notoriously blistering Death Valley, Calif., where on Tuesday the temperature reached 125 degrees. The National Weather Service attributes the unusually high temperatures in the Southwestern deserts to a strong and lingering high-pressure system. In this city in the aptly named Valley of the Sun, the heat is trapped and built up all day by the mass of asphalt, concrete, glass and metal, and takes far longer to be released than in the vast desert beyond Phoenix's boundaries.

Add to that the exhaust of vehicles, the effluence of industrial plants, the occasional sandstorm and the smoke drifting in from some of Arizona's routine summer wildfires, and the air, already stifling, can be almost unbearable.

"It's like a heater blowing outside," Ray Moreno, an attendant at a rental-car counter at Sky Harbor International Airport, said on Wednesday. "A huge dust storm blew in here last night. It lasted for maybe 20 minutes. At one point, the whole baggage area here was full of dust."

Even Phoenix's more moderate heat is approached with caution by people here, many of them transplants from elsewhere.

"This being a transitory town, they say you need five summers under your belt until you get used to the climate," said Laird Palmer, 48, who moved here from Chicago more than eight years ago. "Either way, you've got to watch out. This sun will dry you right up."

Dr. Paul A. Blackburn, who trains emergency doctors at Maricopa Medical Center, agreed, in layman's terms. "We joke that it's dry heat, but so is an oven," he said.

Dr. Blackburn said the hospital had lately been treating more people than usual for hyperthermia, or heat exposure. Two of them died this week, although in both cases, he said, their condition was complicated by drug or alcohol abuse. Most of those treated had body temperatures of around 104 degrees, some higher.

"I haven't seen this much of a cluster of extreme hyperthermia before," Dr. Blackburn said. "It may just be a coincidence, but it's hotter this year than it has been in some time."

As Charles Tuchinda, a 28-year-old tourist from Maryland, set off on Thursday morning for a two-mile hike on Camelback Mountain, a few miles northeast of downtown, he checked the temperature reading on his watch. It was 101.5 degrees in the shade, it said, and it was not yet 10 a.m.

"It's O.K. so far," Mr. Tuchinda said, hoisting a bottle of water to his lips and surveying the parched trail. "But it's definitely hotter than Baltimore."

Cool Houston LOL

U got me laughing---it's a dryyyyy heat in AZ, at least right now---I lived in Houston years ago and although it's a little cooler degree wise---the humidity----well let's not even go there

Humidity? What humidity? Wimp. :D After a while (like 45 yrs) you just gey used to it.

Ok, let's get back on topic which is to give Steve driving directions as he nears the end of his journey, if not already there. :)

Let Me Have A Crack At Where You Live

Why, oh why, would anyone voluntarily live in that harsh environment?

Hmmm, wearing shorts in December is not so bad. You can always take clothes off :eek: if it gets to hot, but adding more layers when it is cold hampers my golf swing. :cool:

Guess I just don't understand.

Obviously. Could it be the job? Or perhaps something more valuable / important like family. Nahhh, that's too simple. :p

Back