Downforce Recommends Nail Polish for touchup?

As you know, I had my front end painted by Downforce. They did a super job. I can not believe it looks so good. Anyway I wanted to get some of the paint for touch up should I get a rock chip. Shawn told me that the water borne paint does not have the solids content and will not properly fill in a rock chip. He suggested and I was surprised that I should purchase some nail polish. At first I was taken aback, but on further thought, nail polish has a high solids content (pigment) and a gloss look (think clear coat). And they have so many colors. I thought for sure it would be impossible to find the New Formula Red color. My wife suggests that I go to CVS Drug store and check out this new nail polish that has a clear coat and color combination. I go there and I cannot believe my eyes but a direct color match. I have tried the OEM color you buy at the Dealership, but it would always seemed to leave a darker color after drying. Shawn believes that the nail polish has higher solids which should properly cover up the hole and reflect the color back. Go Downforce

Manny

Probably cheaper than factory touch-up paint too.

Does it have to be applyed by a Korean? :tongue:

As you know, I had my front end painted by Downforce. They did a super job. I can not believe it looks so good. Anyway I wanted to get some of the paint for touch up should I get a rock chip. Shawn told me that the water borne paint does not have the solids content and will not properly fill in a rock chip. He suggested and I was surprised that I should purchase some nail polish. At first I was taken aback, but on further thought, nail polish has a high solids content (pigment) and a gloss look (think clear coat). And they have so many colors. I thought for sure it would be impossible to find the New Formula Red color. My wife suggests that I go to CVS Drug store and check out this new nail polish that has a clear coat and color combination. I go there and I cannot believe my eyes but a direct color match. I have tried the OEM color you buy at the Dealership, but it would always seemed to leave a darker color after drying. Shawn believes that the nail polish has higher solids which should properly cover up the hole and reflect the color back. Go Downforce

Manny

What was the color that matched the NF Red?

Jim

The color is #570 Right Said Red and it is from the Sally Hansen collection. It is part of the Complete Salon Manicure series. I tried some on one of the color sheets that Shawn shot representing my color. It was indistinguishable from the paint. They had at CVS several other brands that matched, and at lower prices like $2.50. But this one seems to have it all the high solids and the clear coat.

Manny

Ha ha. I had just finished reading this thread and I told my wife, dear I want you to buy me some nail polish, its call Right Said Red. I was thinking she was going to say WTF do you need that for, but nope......she says "Oh I have some in the little basket on our sink"....ha ha...What? :eek:

Yep the woman already had some and the best part was she said she didnt like it and I could have it. Sweet. :smile:

here is a pic of what it looks like.

Attachments

• DSC04211.jpg
    DSC04211.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC04212.jpg
    DSC04212.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 123
do you guys think this nail polish would be good for painting the nsx letters on brake calipers?

I originally used a high temp caliper spray paint for the caliper and then a silver nail polish for the NSX logo. Has not come off in years.
Manny

The color is #570 Right Said Red and it is from the Sally Hansen collection. It is part of the Complete Salon Manicure series.

Tried it on my 2000 NFR. Dries on the car too dark.

I had sent Paintscratch.com a piece of the car (one of the little screw covers for the headlights) and they made an exact match so I'll stick with that. Thought that the #570 would be close, but it's not.

I could have bet that the New Formula Red did not come out till 2001. I am surprised that this was darker than what you have. The regular red is a darker shade than the NFR. And mine has lost some of its color due to age and the sun. I believe the NFR has a bit more orange than the regular red. Did you shake it well before using?
Manny

I could have bet that the New Formula Red did not come out till 2001. I am surprised that this was darker than what you have. The regular red is a darker shade than the NFR. And mine has lost some of its color due to age and the sun. I believe the NFR has a bit more orange than the regular red. Did you shake it well before using?
Manny

yes, shook the bottle. Match is closer on a piece of white card held next to the car, but on the car it dries much darker. The car is NFR (R-510) not the earlier FR - NFR started with 2000. :)

Last edited:
Just thought of something. Shawn at Downforce had mentioned that when the solids content is low the touch up makes the chip look darker as there is not enough pigment in the touch-up paint. When I use to use the factory touch-up that always seemed to happen. I would dab the touch-up on the chipped area and then later it would appear darker then the surounding area. Perhaps that is what you are seeing especially if on white paper the color seems to match. Shawn said to dab it in with a tooth pick and build it up over time. Let it dry and then dab a bit more in. Keep doing this until it fills the hole.
Manny

Manny

yes, shook the bottle. Match is closer on a piece of white card held next to the car, but on the car it dries much darker. The car is NFR not the earlier FR.

hahaha this is so funny, i never though Nail polish could used for touch up.
btw: i have a Nails shop, if any body need any color for there touch up let me know. i can get any nail polish you want.:smile:

Old trick, but a good one! My 92 Z32 was a pain in the neck to touch up, as it was pearl white...until my wife bought some new nail polish...perfect match! I passed it on with the car.

hahaha this is so funny, i never though Nail polish could used for touch up.
btw: i have a Nails shop, if any body need any color for there touch up let me know. i can get any nail polish you want.:smile:

Do you have anything matching R 77 color for NSX 1992 red??? thx

Old trick, but a good one! My 92 Z32 was a pain in the neck to touch up, as it was pearl white...until my wife bought some new nail polish...perfect match! I passed it on with the car.

+1
that trick has been around for years. My dad use to do this for his cars when I was a kid. I always thought he was too cheap to buy paint. LOL He was smarter than I gave him credit as a child..

My wife suggested the same solution (nail polish from CVS) for our skiboat with (relatively) "flashy" colors...and we found a close (enough) match!

Back