Don't you hate it when...

Don't you hate it when your rear tire BLOWS OFF your car at 60mph and rolls past your car as you pull off of the highway?

Never seen anything quite like it...

I must say, today was quite the day. Never thought I'd have to use the spare.

Luckily no rim damage - the sidewalls on those Bridgestones are REALLY thick - thank god, too.

Just had to share
smile.gif

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T
Comptech SC, Headers, Intake, Exhaust & a little Mark Basch tweakage

Boy, and I thought I was lucky today for avoiding a steel rake that dropped off a gardener's truck right in front of me while I was locked in by cars all around me.

Sorry to hear what happened. Hope everything is as okay as possible.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

happened to me too on a bridge so stupid me decided to drive the 1/4 mile to pull over and found that i cracked my wheel and bent it:-(

Isn't that exactly what happened that got bridgestone/firestone and Ford into so much trouble with the Explorer? What kind of Bridgestone's do you have? I didn't know that I would have to worry about "tread separation" on a S02!

I may be able to shed some light on this issue as I experienced tire seperation on my 20" tires on my BMW 740. I have Yokohama AVS Sports and have gone through 2 sets of tires just through summer driving. With such low profile, you need more tire pressure according to Yokohama ( i called them directly after tires started seperating before they were completely worn.) Apparently, with less tire pressure, the sidewalls tend to create more heat leading to seperation in tire plys. My 20's are set to 50psi each tire. My 18s on my NSX are set to 40psi in the rear and 38psi in the front

kevin

I don't understand the original post. You say the 'tire blew off' but there was no wheel damage because of the tire's thick sidewall. Did the tire come off the wheel? Perhaps you mean the wheel came off the vehicle? If so wouldn't you damage the brake rotor and suspension arms by driving on them?

I had Bridgestone Potenza R010's on the car 245/40/ZR17s. Pretty much the stock tire for the car.

Note it was my rear passenger side tire that went flying off.

The Toyo's feel a little weird, but I need to break them in a bit before I get a real idea of what they can do.

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

Soichiro, I read your message right after my last post.

Yes, the TIRE ripped right off the rim (right around the sidewall and tread) - the only pieces that were left were the sidewalls, which padded the rim from the road. Luckily I only drove around 100' after the tire itself came off.

When you think about it, it's kinda funny. I watched my tire (full circle) bounce and roll past my car and go about 50' down the road.

All I can say is the Potenta's have a VERY thick sidewall - that's the only thing that stuck on the rim, and what saved it from damage.

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

[This message has been edited by David Allen (edited 07 May 2002).]

Originally posted by ck:
Isn't that exactly what happened that got bridgestone/firestone and Ford into so much trouble with the Explorer? What kind of Bridgestone's do you have? I didn't know that I would have to worry about "tread separation" on a S02!

Yeah, I think Bridgestone and Firestone are connected, but I don't think they make each other's tires. I'm thinking sorta like if your Dogdge Caravan started crapping out on you, you wouldn't start to believe that all Mercedes Benzs were junk too.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

This is not normal for the stock tires (or for any properly-inflated tire, for that matter).

I assume the tires are covered under Bridgestone's warranty. I would be interested in hearing Bridgestone's explanation for the incident.

Back