Does your vtec still kick? ECU, Cams, Springs & Retainers

Denver, Colorado; Los Angeles, CA & Bangkok Thaila
I wanted to check if the information I received was accurate. I also have a Type R and when it his about 6,500-7,000 rpm, the VTEC screams up to 9,000 rpm and there is a little kick in speed like a turbo.

The NSX I just purchased used is a 91 and it doesn't do that at all. I was told that if I replace new springs and retainers plus a new cam and an upgraded ECU, I will be able to rev the car up to a much higher RPM and it will scream just like the Type R.

I've been looking at KMS's race springs and retainers and they also have camshafts for sale at a very reasonably priced $675. The springs and retainers are %599.

In regards to the ECU, I know there are options of Spoon and Comptech. Wondering if anyone who has these installed can let me know what is exactly changed.

Appreciate any info and thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ton

If the cams and ECU is tuned properly, there should not be a dramatic difference between the low speed and high speed cam lobes. A significant difference in power will mean that the engine is being starved for air on the low speed lobe before VTEC engagement.

We carry numerous valvetrain, camshafts, and ECUs that are dyno proven on our website: www.ScienceofSpeed.com

Regards,
-- Chris

The NSXes I've driven do not have a really noticeable increase in power when VTEC kicks in. Rather, I have heard they are tuned to prevent a decrease in power.
You can watch the oil pressure gauge ... at about 5800 rpm there should be a drop on pressure when it kicks in.

Vizal said:
Dont you mean a rise? I'd be worry if the oil pressure drops when your in high RPM :eek:

That is how the car is supposed to work. If your car is not showing lower oil pressure above 5800 RPM your VTEC is not working. Hold it at 5000 RPM and check your oil pressure then give it a little more gas and hold it at 6000+ RPM and watch the oil pressure gauge. It should fall a noticeable amount.

xsn said:
That is how the car is supposed to work. If your car is not showing lower oil pressure above 5800 RPM your VTEC is not working. Hold it at 5000 RPM and check your oil pressure then give it a little more gas and hold it at 6000+ RPM and watch the oil pressure gauge. It should fall a noticeable amount.

I'd say it takes a dip in VTEC, but not the huge amount your speaking off. IN short, yes it drop-- but a bar or bar and half at most. Basing this on memory, I'll have to take a second look when driving :tongue:

The power delivery should be very linear and you should not feel a "kick" at all.... unless you have a turbo or BBSC. :biggrin:

If I recall, the oil pressure should drop about 2 lines ... from 8 to 6, maybe?

It's obvious.

VTEC engagement on an NSX is not like a Type-R or Prelude, it's very smooth. Check out stock dyno charts, the only reason B18's and H22a have the 'kick' is becuase the low cam starts to really hurt just before the VTEC kicks in. When you tune those engines you smooth the curve out, and make more power (more area under the curve) and you're faster.

Hmmm...i've got an 05 and I feel a noticeable difference when VTEC kicks in. Around 5500 the tach just takes off.

Thanks for everyone's info.

The type R is still such a fun car to drive in the city. I like how it is so raw.

The vtec kicking in and screaming was what I was wondering because somebody told my brother that i had to replace new springs, retainers, and be good to get a new camshaft to increase the rev range.

Was wondering any of u guys dealt with KMS. There was a black CTSC listed on ebay not long ago with a fully built KMS engine. 0-60 claim times were under 4 seconds.:eek:

This is the link to the springs i was talking about. I have a 91 so I was told it needed replacing plus new cams.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KMS-...33621QQitemZ8033141722QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Their website is:
www.honda-performance.com

Regards,
Ton

Back