Do you follow any sports teams?

And if you do, how long have you been a fan and why?

I'm searching for a topic to conduct research on for my seminar course. I'm interested in studying the sports culture and how it's become mainstream in American society. Your thoughts will help me get started. I would really appreciate your comments. Thank you! :)

MsKadyB said:
Do you follow any sports teams? And if you do, how long have you been a fan and why?
St. Louis Cardinal's baseball. It is part of your being if you are from St. Louis, not a desire you have to acquire. ;)

I've been a big fan of the Sacramento Kings since I've been back in Sacto (year 2000 to current). I've never previously payed much attention to basketball, but seeing how the Kings have been so successful, and they are such a class act, I have been hooked. For me, my enthusiasm is based primarily on the fact that I have never had a successful "home team," and now that my "home team" is doing so well, it is very exciting.

I should mention that I went to all the home football games for my undergrad team (Vanderbilt), even though they consistently ranked at the bottom of the SEC, so I am not just a "fair weather fan." :)

I follow and support the Toronto Maple Leafs ever since Ed Belfour signed with them 2 seasons ago. He carried the Dallas Stars for so long and finally after one mediocre season, the team gave up on him and let him become a free agent. He's currently doing very well for Toronto.

Last edited:
Which area of sports do you think has a larger and more loyal fan base: basketball, football or baseball?

On a side note, I went to my first baseball game the other night. It was the Anaheim Angels against the Oakland A's. It was pretty cool to be there in person and the vibe from all the fans was amazing! :)

I am a dedicated Red Wings/Pistons fan and I like the Denver Broncos and Chicago Bears.:)

MsKadyB said:
Which area of sports do you think has a larger and more loyal fan base: basketball, football or baseball?

Definitely football. Have you seen how loyal (crazy) some of them are when it's snowing outside and they have no shirts on!!! :D

GO LEAF'S!!!
Darn, they gust lost in OT.
Game 7 baby.
Wings and Leaf's in the cup.

MsKadyB said:

NASCAR:D

None are more rabid:eek:

i'll prolly start a flame war with all the laker haters, but i've been a lakers fan ever since i started following basketball...guess it all started from livin in so cal all my life practically and the good ole days of magic johnson, james worthy, ac green, byron scott, and vlade!

SagaSupra said:
i'll prolly start a flame war with all the laker haters, but i've been a lakers fan ever since i started following basketball...guess it all started from livin in so cal all my life practically and the good ole days of magic johnson, james worthy, ac green, byron scott, and vlade!

Yes, you are pretty hard core, babe. Folks, this is the guy who will find any excuse to watch a Laker game! :p :D

SagaSupra said:
...i've been a lakers fan ever since i started following basketball...the good ole days of magic johnson,...and vlade!
Vlade? Vlade?!? You sure you haven't confused someone with Kareem?
conf40.gif
Leme guess, you're a Kurt Rambis fan too.
poke2.gif

haha...i guess you are prolly a few years older than me because when kareem was in his last year with the lakers, i was like 7 maybe 8. I watched alot of sports at that age, but i didnt remember much except transformers and mulitplication tables. haha.

In my previous post, i was just mentioning the players i remember as far back as my memory goes which i guess is early 90s or so. :confused: :confused:

Back