• I belong to a local gym

Votes: 50 71.4%
  • I have home equipment

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Im a cheapskate, i run and and use stuff like the local HS or park

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I use the Hershel Walker workout, pushups and situps

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I don't care how i look and feel, i have an nsx!!!!

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I went to Gold's by my house this mornign with a buddy. New facility and it looked great. THE SCENARY was VERY nice!!!!! I'm trying to decide should i join and go on a regular basis, be cheap get my own equipment or be real cheap and do the Hershel Walker workout(push-ups, situps and runing). What do you do to stay looking and feeling good?

is it a diet thing or workout thing?

I think i'd rather pay for bikram yoga than a gym membership, i hear that is great for the body.

my vote is in !

I sit in the drive way and try to turn the steering wheel on my 94. That is all the workout that I need.

I've been training for 20 years and in my opinion a good gym membership is the only ticket to a successful fitness lifestyle. :cool: Although, having equipment at home is good for when you're limited on time, for most people it inevitability becomes a good place to hang clothes after a while. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I've been training for 20 years and in my opinion a good gym membership is the only ticket to a successful fitness lifestyle. :cool: Although, having equipment at home is good for when you're limited on time, for most people it inevitability becomes a good place to hang clothes after a while. :biggrin:

thats what all the trainers said!!!:eek:

I need to...

Ko-nsx said:
I went to Gold's by my house this morning with a buddy. New facility and it looked great. THE SCENARY was VERY nice!!!!!
Was this the Gold's Gym near 183 & Lakeline? I used to go there a handful of years ago, some solid/dedicated peeps' there to train w/, no doubt. Though the "the scenery" was very lacking, at the time. Perhaps it was more attributable to the schedule that I kept (I'd frequent the gym late-afternoon / early evening during the spring/summer). There was an abs' workout class they had which was rather short but incredibly intense; it obviously made my late-nite Tex'Mex runs slightly less guilt-free. Also, I'd ever-so occasionally see a '91-'01 black and/or silver NSX in the parking-lot of the plaza, generally where the gym-goers parked.

There's a Fitness 19 which is minutes away from my residence, that I joined for a season or two, twice. It's adequate in terms of size & available equipment & doesn't get too much traffic (other than the cardio' machines in the evenings/nights). It's rather inexpensive as well, literally pennies-a-day.

Another somewhat recommended fitness-center/gym in the area w/ a lot of amenities, Lifetime Fitness, which is on 620 (between 183 & Parmer). I have a few friends who go there regularly. However it has a lot of stuff I really don't care for such as indoor & outdoor pools, spa, gymnasium, etc' which obviously reflect in the monthly-dues.

Ko-nsx... I need to get back into training as well (easily been a few years since I've broke a REAL sweat), keep me in the loop as to what gym/club you might join in the general area! :D
jlsnyderNSX said:
... in my opinion a good gym membership is the only ticket to a successful fitness lifestyle.
I can not recall truer words of wisdom! :cool:

Every once in awhile, it's nice to mix'up a workout or two the heavy-bag in my garage or some light free-weights upstairs in the lounge. . .

Last edited:
Of course, most of the people I've heard of who bought memberships, ended up not going after a few weeks. Willpower is important no matter where you decide to exercise. Personally, I like bicycles. And martial arts.

Nick

is it a diet thing or workout thing?

I think i'd rather pay for bikram yoga than a gym membership, i hear that is great for the body.

It's a combo of both dude. Sometimes diet alone doesn't do it, and sometimes the gym alone doesn't do it.

I figured it took me over 10 years of sitting behind a computer to get the way I am, and its not going to change overnight. In 2008 I lost 30lbs, I plan to drop another 20 in 2009. Then I will be good.

Yoga is great. I've taken a few classes here and there. It changed the way I look at yoga. I thought it was all about stretching, but damn I would get out of a session sweating as much as I did during a workout.

Mix it up if you can. It keeps things fresh and keeps the probability of burnout to a minimum. Same goes for your diet. Couple times a week I am a vegetarian.

2 cents. :smile:

Re: I need to...

Was this the Gold's Gym near 183 & Lakeline? I used to go there a handful of years ago, some solid/dedicated peeps' there to train w/, no doubt. Though the "the scenery" was very lacking, at the time. Perhaps it was more attributable to the schedule that I kept (I'd frequent the gym late-afternoon / early evening during the spring/summer). There was an abs' workout class they had which was rather short but incredibly intense; it obviously made my late-nite Tex'Mex runs slightly less guilt-free. Also, I'd ever-so occasionally see a '91-'01 black and/or silver NSX in the parking-lot of the plaza, generally where the gym-goers parked.

There's a Fitness 19 which is minutes away from my residence, that I joined for a season or two, twice. It's adequate in terms of size & available equipment & doesn't get too much traffic (other than the cardio' machines in the evenings/nights). It's rather inexpensive as well, literally pennies-a-day.

Another somewhat recommended fitness-center/gym in the area w/ a lot of amenities, Lifetime Fitness, which is on 620 (between 183 & Parmer). I have a few friends who go there regularly. However it has a lot of stuff I really don't care for such as indoor & outdoor pools, spa, gymnasium, etc' which obviously reflect in the monthly-dues.

Ko-nsx... I need to get back into training as well (easily been a few years since I've broke a REAL sweat), keep me in the loop as to what gym/club you might join in the general area! :D
I can not recall truer words of wisdom! :cool:

Every once in awhile, it's nice to mix'up a workout or two the heavy-bag in my garage or some light free-weights upstairs in the lounge. . .

http://www.goldsgym.com/gyms/index.php?gymID=1230

the one in Cedar Park.

Last edited:
man Kelly, you know your ol skool when u say "Hershel Walker workout(push-ups, situps and runing)" haha. I remember seeing him on interview when i was little and he said that. I was shock. I think he was pretty tough when he played for the Cowboys.

I go to 24 hours Fitness. I go there to play b/ball like 3-4 times a week.
I dont work out no more. I use to do the Hershel Walker push ups and sit ups.
Man it works! Out of the blue i went to go bench one day and max out @ 295 lbs.twice. I was pretty satisfied with just doing push ups.

But mostly i just go to gym and play ball. :smile:

I want my jersey signed "E. Dickerson" i have a throw back jersey!

man Kelly, you know your ol skool when u say "Hershel Walker workout(push-ups, situps and runing)" haha. I remember seeing him on interview when i was little and he said that. I was shock. I think he was pretty tough when he played for the Cowboys.

I go to 24 hours Fitness. I go there to play b/ball like 3-4 times a week.
I dont work out no more. I use to do the Hershel Walker push ups and sit ups.
Man it works! Out of the blue i went to go bench one day and max out @ 295 lbs.twice. I was pretty satisfied with just doing push ups.

But mostly i just go to gym and play ball. :smile:

I want my jersey signed "E. Dickerson" i have a throw back jersey!

i'll get it signed for you.
Hershel was in tip top shape for his workout regiment!!!

I wouldn't save any money buying my own stuff. Wonder how much a set of free weights up to 125lbs costs. Can't be too cheap. Then add in a dead lift plat form, all those weights, squat rack, flat/decline bench, and of course a serious tread mill.

The gold's off 183 and lakeline is nice. My work is only a couple miles from there as well.

X1000, if you do squats or deadlifts it's easier going to gold's or whatever. If you getting back into it I would learn how to do the compounds CORRECTLY and stick with squat, bench, row, and deadlift.

The body gets stronger as a unit, if it did not all the retards doing curls 3x a week for 3-4 years would be huge ;)

KO. Triathlon is the way to go. Swim, Bike, Run. No gym membership required.

I hate heading to gyms when I can be outside. With that said the only gym I have been able to stomach is Pure Austin. Heated pool, Quarry Lake, elite triathletes work out there. Check it out. Lots of yoga classes, spin, etc.. The scenery is very nice and people are serious about getting in shape.

-José

thats what all the trainers said!!!:eek:

I'm not a trainer, but I do speak from personal experience and countless friends, coworkers, etc. that have tried the home gym route only to fail miserably...

I've was a member of Golds for the last 10 years and recently changed to a local mega-gym for a change of scenery.

As far as a gym vs a home gym, it's just nice to get out of the house, and see different people.

KO. Triathlon is the way to go. Swim, Bike, Run. No gym membership required.

I hate heading to gyms when I can be outside. With that said the only gym I have been able to stomach is Pure Austin. Heated pool, Quarry Lake, elite triathletes work out there. Check it out. Lots of yoga classes, spin, etc.. The scenery is very nice and people are serious about getting in shape.

-José

It all depends on what you are after, I would hate doing this but I enjoy being able to flip over a car :)

I started out at Powerhouse and then changed to YMCA after the Powerhouse closed but the Y sucked and an LA Fitness just opened less than 2 miles from my house.

Gym location is important as you don't ever want it to be just far enough away that you make excuses for not going.

"Scenery" at my gym sucks! What makes me mad is I asked about that when I was joining and a guy working there swore he'd signed up plenty of talent. I then however got distracted checking out the "scenery" that was signing me up and didn't verify what I'd be looking at while working out:mad:

Oh well helps you to focus on your form I guess:frown:

Here is my suggestion.

Join the gym and hire a personal trainer for 12 sessions or so. Here is why. Most people join the gym and don't go because they have no obligation to go. If you have the trainer, it is an appointment - just like any other business appointment and you will keep it. Once you get a schedule, it will be much easier to go and get into a rhythm. The trainer will also help you with your diet and show you the correct way to do the exercises. I see SOOOOOO many people doing things wrong every day!

My wife recently started working with a trainer and the results have been excellent.

Being that I had a tragic hangnail incident and my back was somehow broken in like seven places, I feel it is imperative I go to stay in good health! Most amputees I see have BAD atrophy on the side they lost on, and a LOT are over weight.... :(

This is me in Feb 2007 about 9 months post oops... not quite my fattest, but close!

DSCF0743.jpg

This is me now, well, a few weeks ago... I use a special arm to work out. I'm about 192lbs in the pic and 10% bodyfat or so, currently max bench is about 310 or so... If I can do it, ANYONE can!!

Bodybuilding124.jpg

I've been at Powerhouse about 3 miles from my house for a few years. Rapidly going downhill under new ownership, and dues are going up by 40% over what I paid last February.

Probably switching to LA fitness. $119 more per year and the closest one is 7 miles away from home, but everything works, it isn't scuzzy, has far more equipment (Powerhouse only has two flat benches!) and I can always hit the LA fitness near work if I get downtime during the workday.

Back