Do NSXs make good daily drivers?

slashmatt said:
an NSX makes a good daily driver if you avoid Acura service departments like the plague.
That depends on where you live. In many parts of the country, there are no independent mechanics with much NSX experience, and there are Acura dealers who perform outstanding service, and have tremendous NSX experience, and charge reasonable prices for the work. It may not be true everywhere, but it's certainly true in a lot of places. Ask around for recommendations in your area (it would be easy to get some if you would show your location on your posts).

Many routine services (fluid replacements, brake work, tire changes) can be done by any competent mechanic. But for complicated work (clutch replacements, timing belt changes) and problem troubleshooting, you really need a place that does a lot of work on NSXs, that can recognize frequent problems and that knows the short cuts and gotchas in doing the work.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Btw, i hate this message forum because I can't stop reading it which just leads to me wanting the car more and more. I was at work yesterday reading about and trying to go through the valve adjustment steps in my head when I was bored. And i've never even sat in an NSX lol. I'll let you all know what I decide when the money/time is right.

Oh and I was reading in the FAQ about the bose subwoofer/amp being prone to wearing out after a while. I saw someone mention replacing the stock sound system, how hard is that? I remember hearing from a miata owner that miatas w/ the bose system have to have a whole conversion to get the car to accept non-bose parts, he was talking like its a PITA. Is it like that for the NSX? What's the process involved in replacing the stereo in the nsx? Can you keep the oem head unit and just replace the speakers? I'm not a huge fan of big stereo stuff, I figure 6 speakers and a mini-sub would be more than enough for me if they were decent quality units and I"d prefer to keep the oem head unit if possible. Do you need to replace everything at once if not replacing it w/ oem honda/bose parts or am I way off?

What part of the country are you in?? If you are close by, and have never been in an NSX, I can arrange something for you.

If you are a new buyer of an NSX and it's raining, then it won't make a good daily drive. :D But maybe after putting some miles on it, you won't be afraid to drive your precious car in the rain -- speaking from experience... :D

Meeyatch1 said:
What part of the country are you in?? If you are close by, and have never been in an NSX, I can arrange something for you.

I live in the southeast, Atlanta Ga to be exact. :)

not too close to indiana, though I drove through the state a couple years ago :)

You also have to take in to account your occupation. For me, an NSX would be a terrible daily driver. I'm in sales and drive a couple hundred miles per day. For someone who is a pencil pusher, there is no reason why an NSX wouldn't be a wonderful daily driver.

Back