Do NSX owners prefer a cat or straight pipes???

Go HFC. Test pipes are loud, smell bad and cover your bumper with black soot.

I've never understood why everyone on prime seems to be infatuated with how "bad" test pipes make your car smell. Also I've been running test pipes for 2 years now and never had any noticeable amount of "soot".

These claims are greatly inflated.

If at least half of the aftermarket exhaust options went thru as much engineering as this thing perhaps people like us wouldn't have to come up with something ourselves.
Split.JPG

I'll be implementing a similar design in concept but will look very different to the naked eye. Nice work.

To each its own. Everyone have their opinion. Run what you want, by the end of the day its still YOUR car. Lots of choice to choose. Angus got a couple different choices for you. Tp, rtp, hfc.. Pick your poison..

I've had TP for the last two years on my car and I've loved them.. wake up the entire neighborhood at 2:00 AM even when I'm cruising.

However, I am going to put the cat's back on soon because I can't hear my supercharger over them :(
Glad you don't live near me.

I think it depends in what exhaust you run, my TEST PIPES with Ark exhaust were @ least 30% Louder and 50% smellier .. with Pride I finally have 0 CEL .. which is great!

*But I miss my back firing noise ... :( ...

I used to roll my car down the street in neutral if I took it early!

oscar

I'm straight piped.

Love the sound.
Love the extra power I make since blowers prefer open exhaust.
Love the fireballs

Also, I like to preserve my cats for the test every 2 years.

Everything Batmans said. I have a Pride V1 with SOS intercooled Supercharger. I got the 100 cell cat for smog. With test pipes 420rwhp and with 100 cell cats 405rwhp. I was a half a point richer with the 100 cell cats. You have to deal with the rasp around 2.5k but after that the test pipe sound is unbelievable. The 100 cell is more refined almost no rasp but you lose a lot of sound and the awesome girggle. Plus like Batmans stated FI will reek havoc on cats and I have zero desire to wait 3 months and be out of $600 bucks for new cats.

Last edited:
Everything Batmans said. I have a Pride V1 with SOS intercooled Supercharger. I got the 100 cell cat for smog. With test pipes 420rwhp and with 100 cell cats 405rwhp. I was a half a point richer with the 100 cell cats. You have to deal with the rasp around 2.5k but after that the test pipe sound is unbelievable. The 100 cell is more refined almost no rasp but you lose a lot of sound and the awesome girggle. Plus like Batmans stated FI will reek havoc on cats and I have zero desire to wait 3 months and be out of $600 bucks for new cats.

Sounds like you need my resonated test pipes...

No. Imagine hollowed out high flow cats without the stuffing, and you have resonating "test" pipes. Still goes straight through, but there is some attenuation from the chamber which provides a just enough back pressure to keep it from rasping.

I was under the impression that the raspy sound was from something else, like cat material our packing to absorb the sound.

I like loud exhaust but TP on a NSX was WAY too loud when used with headers and a high flow exhaust.

Why can't we run small borla mufflers in place of the cats? We lost zero HP and it quieted down the exhaust alot.

We did this with our RX7's and it helped a TON!

Wil, in your experience... asides from controlling the rasp how does the resonators change the tone vs. test pipes? Does it shift to the higher pitch or lower pitch when compared to TPs?

The resonators mellow out the exhaust, takes away the unwanted rasp and makes it sound much smoother - I'd say it really doesn't change the pitch, just gets rid of the bad parts.

not all NSX with testpipes produce smoke.
Although quite a few do.

The rasp is quite easy to get rid of simply add a resonator.
Personally i prefer removing cat's since certainly OE ones do inhibit flow,
running dual 100 cell will reduce that to nearly unnoticeable.

Talking about loud and miserable my buddy/mechanic's Subaru is just plain loud and he pride's him self in having it sound like a WRC car,

You can hear it backfiring from miles away, although pretty entertaining (and yes it shoots flames) it's a bit to much for my taste.

Last edited:
Who makes test pipes for a 2000? I saw SOS only has them for 91-94. I live in Fl so we dont have emissions and i want to get some. I can always have them made but would prefer to buy them

Back