Do NSX owners prefer a cat or straight pipes???

For those who are modified with either a turbo or ctsc, are you guys running a high flow cat or test pipes??? Im trying to decide between a resonated test pipe or hfc. I want it quiet but growls with wot.

Test pipes are loud as hell. U want growl, hfc, you want f1 loud as shit, test pipes. When me and les raced a little on pch, a lady drove up and said your car is really loud and rolled her windows up after lol. Cause watch my vid, pride nsx on youtube. Its loud, very loud. To put into perspective, you could hear it at wot a few blocks away.

I think the difference in power on your setup would be almost nonexistant between test pipes and HFC so why risk getting a $10k fine and having your car seized by DOT?

Test pipes make the NSX sound incredible, I am tired of hearing from Lambo and Fcar owners how great it sounds! :)

TP = EVIL , but oh soo good!

I've had TP for the last two years on my car and I've loved them.. wake up the entire neighborhood at 2:00 AM even when I'm cruising.

However, I am going to put the cat's back on soon because I can't hear my supercharger over them :(

Tp made my exhaust sounds better. I can still her the ctsc in the background, but not so much. I do not like the drone around 25-2900 k rpms. But over that there arent any. Had tp for over a yr now, still like it. Im on youtube too. Search for nsx cantell exhaust.. Headers, test pipe.. Etc.. 2 vids, cold start and cruising.. U get the idea..

HFC = run them if your worried about smog
TP = sounds good to a point, but the additional rasp/ buzzing is really embarrassing to me = fart can sound as they say.
RTP = 90% test pipe sound, without the rasp, "refined, tuned, high end car sound" = best compromise and my pick.

Yep, resonated test pipes. I was waiting for Will to make me some, but after a few months of waiting, I lost interest. Hopefully I will get more motivation later to get them some other time in the future. BTW, the description of the RTP is based from how others describe how they sound after having then on. Not from personal experience.

Yep, resonated test pipes. I was waiting for Will to make me some, but after a few months of waiting, I lost interest. Hopefully I will get more motivation later to get them some other time in the future. BTW, the description of the RTP is based from how others describe how they sound after having then on. Not from personal experience.

that sounds like another muffler solution. No?

that sounds like another muffler solution. No?

No. Imagine hollowed out high flow cats without the stuffing, and you have resonating "test" pipes. Still goes straight through, but there is some attenuation from the chamber which provides a just enough back pressure to keep it from rasping.

To the OP, Don't use test pipes in NJ or for that matter CA. :eek: All you need is for a State Trooper to check and impound your car. States that are lax on inspection such as Fla and several others, test pipes are easier to get away with.

As for sound, Turbo's muffle the exhaust to a degree so an open exhaust/no cat N/A or SC car will be quite a bit louder than a turbo'd NSX.

Why not have both?

Do a custom setup where you can bypass cats and a muffler for all out power and sound, and then use a cat and muffler for 90% of your driving.

No matter what some folks say, running without cats is illegal, smelly, and bad for our environment. The people that say they can't smell any abnormal fumes without cats either have their windows closed all the time or are partially brain-dead from the noxious fumes.

Because my latest creation didn't work out like I'd hoped, here's what it looks like. I hacked up and reused a lot of old pieces so it looks like crap right now. I'll media blast it and paint this weekend, but do something like this with a valve so you can have the best of both worlds:

Together.JPG

Split.JPG

Edit: Forgot your original question... I will be turbo hopefully by the end of the year with a custom setup. I will incorporate the option of using HFCs or bypassing them and then tune for each.

Last edited:
I can not run cats with my setup. I have straight pipes. My 2.9L Whipple needs to breathe. I do not know how much HP you gain or loose I'm at
525RWHP and 420LBS of TQ

Mac,

Soooooooo breaking the law and hurting the environment just a little bit is OK with you?

Confused.:confused:

Do a custom setup where you can bypass cats and a muffler for all out power and sound, and then use a cat and muffler for 90% of your driving.

No matter what some folks say, running without cats is illegal, smelly, and bad for our environment.

I wish I could run cats. I will have to put them on before next month due to my emissions inspection. In the past I always got a wavier due to the car being lowered. However now they have replaced all the rollers and are doing plug in OBO testing. So I will have no choice but hope for the best.

I wish I could run cats. I will have to put them on before next month due to my emissions inspection. In the past I always got a wavier due to the car being lowered. However now they have replaced all the rollers and are doing plug in OBO testing. So I will have no choice but hope for the best.

I passed with tp's earlier this year. (I'm in Md too).

My concern is the AEM II I just had installed. That seems crazy taking the car there with test pipes. I guess they never looked under the car? Thats great.

Back