Discouraged & disgusted

Does anyone know if the single disc clutch still uses a flywheel from the dual disc? Would I still be able to use the new Tilton fly, if I get SPEC to send a single disc clutch to me?

Assuming they answer my emails.

j14nsx said:
Does anyone know if the single disc clutch still uses a flywheel from the dual disc? Would I still be able to use the new Tilton fly, if I get SPEC to send a single disc clutch to me?

Assuming they answer my emails.

I believe the answer is NO. Sorry...

No the single disc does not work with the dual disc flywheel. Clutchmasters makes a single disc flywheel, I guess spec does also. I am assuming that the clutchmasters flywheel will work with other clutches. But call them to find out.

vintagecarman said:
Makes me wish I would of taken my NSX to Acura and got a factory clutch and no hassle!
I've had my NSX clutch replaced twice, and both times the dealer and the clutch were super.

The first time was in May 1991, in Ohio. The starter ring gear came off the flywheel, and my NSX was disabled. On a Saturday, of course. I flatbedded it to the dealer, which was open even though the service department was closed. Even though I (obviously) had no pre-scheduled appointment, they looked at the car on Monday morning. Since the NSX was fairly new, Acura's Techline advised the dealer to replace the entire clutch, as a precaution in case anything else was affected. They didn't have a clutch in stock - remember, the NSX had only been on the market less than a year, so people weren't replacing clutches yet - so they overnighted the clutch to the dealer from the parts warehouse, and it arrived Tuesday morning. Their NSX tech had been trained in clutch replacement, but this was his first time doing so on a customer car. He finished it up on Wednesday and I was on my way. No problems with it at all.

Fast forward eight years and 38K miles including 6250 actual track miles. The second time was in Michigan, two hours from home. The clutch just WENT, suddenly inoperable. I drove it to my regular dealer with no clutch, with as little shifting as possible. (I took the long way via one expressway instead of the other one that had toll plazas, which in those days involved coming to a complete stop.) My dealer does a fair amount of NSX service work, and they had a new clutch in stock, so they got on it first thing Monday morning (even though, again, I had no pre-scheduled appointment). They determined that one of the springs had broken, but that there wasn't all that much friction material left on it anyway, so it was time to replace it either way. I picked it up a couple days later, and again, I was on my way. No problems at all with it.

So, to summarize, both times I was able to get my clutch replaced with just a few days downtime, even though it had failed without warning and I just showed up at the dealer with the car without any prior appointment. Each time, the work was done properly, and I was on my way, neither discouraged nor disgusted.

Posted by vintagecarman

I know I will not being going with an OEM. Any advice on a performance clutch under 2K?

Posted by NetViper

What do you not like about the OEM?

My take on this.

Excellent question, Dave. Unless I missed it, vintagecarman does not have forced induction. That said, why on earth does he feel an OEM clutch is not up to the task? Got news for you folks - and I am not “downgrading” aftermarket vendors’ clutches - the OEM clutch is fabulous. Not only did I buy mine brand new from an Acura dealership for about $900, but the current clutch has something like +30k miles on it, and how about these two juicy tidbits. Back in January the transmission was being rebuilt. For shits-n-giggles we removed the clutch for inspection. Not only were there no blue hot spots on the flywheel nor pressure plate, but the friction material was less than 50% worn. And for the second juicy tidbit.....mine is supercharged.

Respectfully, I think people are needlessly spending money on aftermarket clutches, when the OEM is just fine. The NSXs that have monster HP engines are a different story.

And we know that I can't stay off of my soapbox, vintagecar man - an aftermarket clutch will not yield more "performance" such as what you alluded to earlier. I stand behind my comment, unless your NSX has huge HP, an OEM clutch is just fine. Secondly, what do scratches in your door have to do with this thread, which is about the Spec clutch? Granted, you only mentioned it twice, but from what I glean the boo-boo was caused by user error for which we cannot offer any solace.

Love, hugs and sloppy wet kisses. :p

AndyVecsey said:
Excellent question, Dave.

Why thank you Andy :)

Respectfully, I think people are needlessly spending money on aftermarket clutches, when the OEM is just fine. The NSXs that have monster HP engines are a different story.

What do you consider monster HP? I think your car putting down over 400 RWHP is pretty powerful..

Forums Nazi said:
Maybe YOU should stop and realize that in my post, I told you how to find the topics that you never even looked for. That IS help and support - and anyone who's reasonably appreciative would understand that.

Sheesh... No soup for you.

Yeah, but I don't think you realize that your help is usually served up HOT and with an unexplainable distain for your fellow NSX owners that I can only assume you think are stupid.

You are almost always helpful, but is it too much to ask for you to me nice too? :( As my Mom always taught me, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all... even if it is meant to be helpful. I know you have taken that same vile attitude with me too in the past.

G-man said:
Yeah, but I don't think you realize that your help is usually served up HOT and with an unexplainable distain for your fellow NSX owners that I can only assume you think are stupid.

You are almost always helpful, but is it too much to ask for you to me nice too? :( As my Mom always taught me, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all... even if it is meant to be helpful. I know you have taken that same vile attitude with me too in the past.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

If he was nice, it would be out of character...bottom line.

No Soup! who care? NO NSX SUCKS!

Thanks for the support G-man! I believe in treating others as you wish to be treaded.

The weekend is here and I can’t get my car into the shop unit early next week. Spec sent me a single disc and from what I have been told is a high-bread between a stage 3 & 4. He “guarantees” that I will not have any problems with this one. I spent $1200 on the stage two and the single disc I received is priced at $2k, even swap! I’m a fair guy and feel this is a decent deal.

The vendor who sold me the unit has stated that if he had handled the install, he would covered the cost of the re-install. Hmm? I will say that both Spec and speed with in reach have worked with me to resolve this problem. Tough to say who should take responsibility? If I went on principle, I would be asking both the vendor and Spec to pay for the install. However, seems whenever I go by principal, I get my A!! Kicked

I have a nationally respected engine builder doing the work and he’s cutting me some slack this time around. I’ll be posting next week on the out come.

Cheers to all and enjoy your NSX, God knows I wish I could be enjoying

Uhhhh, what just happened? I subscribed to this and the damn thing blew up. You guys like to just get at each other. He gets your goat then he gets the other guys goat, before you know it they all got goats and there is some sort of dirty animal sex thing going on. Or something like that.

I agree, leave him alone Forum Nazi! Poor guy needs help, the picture will be a lot different when you are in the doldrums about something. Cut the guy some slack, I am sure he wanted the most current opinions of the forum members. Good Luck buddy!

.And we know that I can't stay off of my soapbox, vintagecar man - an aftermarket clutch will not yield more "performance" such as what you alluded to earlier. I stand behind my comment, unless your NSX has huge HP, an OEM clutch is just fine.

Secondly, what do scratches in your door have to do with this thread, which is about the Spec clutch? Granted, you only mentioned it twice, but from what I glean the boo-boo was caused by user error for which we cannot offer any solace.

Love, hugs and sloppy wet kisses.for your Dog!

During the very short time the stage two worked, it way outperformed the OEM although, I’m happy to hear about your wonderful experience with the OEM. I’m working my way towards further up-grades and I’m sure it won’t be long until the day comes when the horsepower is raised! Hence, a performance clutch.

AS far as driver error, if I had night vision goggles maybe I would of noticed the dark piece of metal in the middle of the road. Have we found another forum NAZI or Superman?

Thanks for you continued soap box support!

Re: No Soup! who care? NO NSX SUCKS!

vintagecarman said:
Spec sent me a single disc and from what I have been told is a high-bread between a stage 3 & 4.

Just busting your chops, but what the hell is a "high-bread" clutch? :D

I'm sure you meant "hybrid" - but I have to say, you might want to ask for a refund from "Hooked on Phonics". ;)

No real help

Thanks for the correction and no real advice on the issue at hand! I’ll think twice before participating in any future forums.

Re: Re: No Soup! who care? NO NSX SUCKS!

LeftLane said:
Just busting your chops, but what the hell is a "high-bread" clutch? :D

I'm sure you meant "hybrid" - but I have to say, you might want to ask for a refund from "Hooked on Phonics". ;)

Oh ya, well then gimme my jacket!! I told you, you could borrow it not have it!!

Re: No real help

vintagecarman said:
Thanks for the correction and no real advice on the issue at hand! I’ll think twice before participating in any future forums.

Perhaps you should think twice before writing posts that make you look like an uneducated rube instead.

What advice are you looking for, anyway? You've already been told what the corrective action is, the process is already under way, and that's that. Good luck with your new clutch...I wonder if it will be wheat or rye? Maybe seven grain?

Lessons Learned

A Spec “stage two” custom single disc with lightweight flywheel was installed last week. The Engine builder gave me a decent discount, charging $600. I have tallied approximately two hundred miles since the install and at this point I will say, it shifts very smoothly, feels terrific and there is almost no shutter compared to the dual disc. In my opinion the performance gained with the stage two can not be compared to the OEM and was worth the hit and miss hassle.

I feel that Spec should discontinue selling the stage two dual discs for the NSX.

From what I have learned, almost every one who has installed them has had severe problems. In general I believe that Spec is a reputable company, was willing to work with me and stood behind their product. I am just happy to be back behind the wheel of the best sports car ever built!

Thanks to every one who offered advice and support.

Great, glad to hear your troubles are behind you. I too went with the Spec single disk after having major issues with the dual disk! The clutch is great so far. About 300 miles and the chadder is almost completey gone now. Just putting miles on it will make it smoother.
- Z

What do you consider monster HP? I think your car putting down over 400 RWHP is pretty powerful.

383 RWHP at 8 PSI, untuned.

Now at 12 PSI tuned.....no dyno visit yet.

Stock clutch, no slipping, no chattering, +30k miles and an inspection a few months ago showed 50% wear.

Geez guys, I don't want to see any blood. Lets all kiss and make out, oops, I mean make up.

Freudian slip? Something you want to tell us?:D

Vintagecarguy, stout face mate, it'll work out and when your back in the car this will seem like ancient history! Everyone is unusually grumpy in this thread!

Take note at the service you received and note it down for future clutch type purchases. Make sure its not a twin-plate croissant or single plate high-fibre sandwich type though
:p

Last edited:
Re: No real help

vintagecarman said:

:rolleyes:

Back