Digital Cable n Satelite

Just for kicks I got Cablevisions Digital IO package for a month since they were offering a package deal that included voice over internet and I already subscribe to there Optimum Online service.

What I recieved was a high definition tuner and some five HD channels along with there other line up. I had Direct TV but it was not the high def reciever but I have to say that the picture on Direct TV without the HD tuner was just as good as the Digital IO HD service. The price of the Direct TV package was almost double what I am paying for Digital IO but IMO it is worth it and I think I will be going back to my Direct TV set up and purchasing the HD reciever this time. I was really disappointed with the Digital IO set up when I saw the picture they were sending. Im viewing this on a Toshiba 42HP83 High Definition Plasma with component video and audio cables.Oh on a last note the channels that were not HD on Digital IO looked terrible in comparison to the same channels on Direct TV.

I have heard the same thing about so-called HD via cable.
I just got a free 3 lnb dish upgrade for free for signing up for local channels.
The price of directv HD rcvrs has finally come down.
A few new models can be had for $299. I am going to pick up the samsung 360 at best buy (or C.City).
Problem is the lack of HD channels currently offered.

I've had simliar results where hd channels (sat & cable) look good but the other channels are sub par at best. There's a new service....I don't remember the name but its a paid subscription plan that provides only hd channels in an abundant amount (compared to cable/sat) and its not that pricey either. Saw their commercials a couple weeks ago and the name is on the tip of my tongue. Sheesh...wonder if someone else remembers?

I just switched from DirecTV to Comcast (what used to be AT&T Cable), and, so far, can't complain.

HD equipment for DirecTV is expensive, and they have no deals. Dish network has free HD and DVR (but not HD DVR) equipment (through resellers), but they end up nickel and diming you on monthly costs, so you end up paying for the equipment in the long run. And, you can not receive local HD broadcasts, unless you set up an HD antenna (not included).

The HD picture quality on cable is OUTSTANDING!!! The only drawback is the amount of HD programming (I have 11 channels, which includes HBO and Starz HD feeds, and local broadcasts).

Are you sure your equipment is set up correctly? The installer I had was kind of clueless, and told me he set up the cable box to output 480p for all his installs, which is only DVD quality. The box output has to be set to either 720p or 1080i (which is better may depend on your TV), otherwise you will never get HD resolution.

I should also mention that I got a very good deal for both cable (with HD) and broadband service, which was also a factor. In my area (Dallas) they are offering a $25/month credit for 16 months if you switch from satellite, plus $10 off broadband if you get both, plus 6 months of HBO and Starz free.

When the 16 months are up, I will re-evaluate.

Ennesssex said:
I've had simliar results where hd channels (sat & cable) look good but the other channels are sub par at best. There's a new service....I don't remember the name but its a paid subscription plan that provides only hd channels in an abundant amount (compared to cable/sat) and its not that pricey either. Saw their commercials a couple weeks ago and the name is on the tip of my tongue. Sheesh...wonder if someone else remembers?
VOOM

Thanks nkb.....I too switched over from sat to cable because of the package deal which included cable, int, and phone in one. The only negative thing I can think of is that they limit the amount of hd receivers available to rent per household to one. This means all your other hd capable tvs cant be viewed to their potential. :mad:

I started with Directv before digital cable was offered in my area and found it be far superior to my current optimum digital io. Unfortunatley, I can only get directv during the winter months because of all the trees on my property and it didn't pay to carry both so I settled on just the digital cable. If you have a clear shot to the satellite all year round, stick with Directv.

RSO 34 said:
I started with Directv before digital cable was offered in my area and found it be far superior to my current optimum digital io. Unfortunatley, I can only get directv during the winter months because of all the trees on my property and it didn't pay to carry both so I settled on just the digital cable. If you have a clear shot to the satellite all year round, stick with Directv.

Im glad to see someone had gone the same route as me and came the to same conclusion as far as the picture quality .... i will check the settings on the reciver thou and get back to you all. In the meantime happy viewing.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
Im glad to see someone had gone the same route as me and came the to same conclusion as far as the picture quality .... i will check the settings on the reciver thou and get back to you all. In the meantime happy viewing.
The settings you need to check are done when the box is off, I believe, not the ones you can check from the regular menu (at least on my box, but I can't remember the make and model).

Ennesssex said:
Thanks nkb.....I too switched over from sat to cable because of the package deal which included cable, int, and phone in one. The only negative thing I can think of is that they limit the amount of hd receivers available to rent per household to one. This means all your other hd capable tvs cant be viewed to their potential. :mad:
I only have one HD TV, so that wouldn't affect me, but they allow you to get multiple HD receivers in Dallas.
It may just be a quesiton of calling customer service, and arguing with them, maybe threatening to get satellite again.

Comcast works for me

I use Comcast digital cable and got their HD reciever for $5/mo. The HD channels look superb. I have about a dozen HD channels and this includes local broadcast, movie channels (HBO, etc) and two HD specific channels called INHD and INHD2. The HD looks lifelike and I'm 9.5ft away with a 50" Samsung DLP. The regular cable channels don't look as good, but thats because I'm spoiled with the HD. I find myself only watching the HD channels most of the time now. All in all Comcast works for me because they have a large HD lineup, their pricing is pretty good (not great) and service with them is pretty flexible (upgrading, etc).

Re: Comcast works for me

mickeylex said:
I find myself only watching the HD channels most of the time now.

I found I do exactly the same. When I am looking for something to watch on TV, I always start with the HD channels, as the rest of the channels just look so crappy in comparison. On my 47" TV they look fine, but on my 65" TV, the regular channels are nearly unwatchable at times (depending on the programming).

Discovery HD is so amazing, as is Baseball and Football on ESPN HD, for some reason I find that HD basketball isn't as crisp as baseball/football, maybe it's how cool the grass and dirt look in the field sports.

nkb said:
The settings you need to check are done when the box is off, I believe, not the ones you can check from the regular menu (at least on my box, but I can't remember the make and model).

The reciever they gave me is a Scientific Atlanta 4200HD.

Re: Comcast works for me

mickeylex said:
I use Comcast digital cable and got their HD reciever for $5/mo. The HD channels look superb. I have about a dozen HD channels and this includes local broadcast, movie channels (HBO, etc) and two HD specific channels called INHD and INHD2. The HD looks lifelike and I'm 9.5ft away with a 50" Samsung DLP. The regular cable channels don't look as good, but thats because I'm spoiled with the HD. I find myself only watching the HD channels most of the time now. All in all Comcast works for me because they have a large HD lineup, their pricing is pretty good (not great) and service with them is pretty flexible (upgrading, etc).
I have the same setup as you. We just started receiving INHD and INHD2 2 weeks ago.
That's the problem with HD, you get spoiled so fast. I hate watching regular shows, but get used to it once I get into it.

Motorola Box

The Motorola box lets you set the HD programming resolution. The box has to be off and your TV has to be on and set to the cable input (ie component). Then push the set up or menu button (I don't remember which) on your cable remote to get the set up menu for the box. I set mine to 1080i. I tried the 720p setting, but 1080i looked better to me. I'm using the component video for the HD. My TV has a DVI input, but I use that for DVD since I've heard that the DVI on the Motorola box is deactivated by Comcast and the DVDs now look almost like HD with the DVI.

I found the 1080i setting and even thou the hd channels look great now the other channels are barely acceptable. Well this is only a temporary set up that I wanted to try for a month.

nkb said:
Agreed, you guys need to try Voom.

www.voom.com

I had HD digital cable for a month, and then switched to Voom. Before the digital cable was shut off I compared a few of the HD channels that the two prividers had in common. There was a definate quality difference where I live. The same HD channels through the Voom receiver were much-much clearer. I've been told by people that switched to HD Direct TV and Dish Network HD, that they got the same results as well. Apparently where I am at, the cable company must do some MPEG compression (dumbing down) on the HD channels, maybe due to bandwidth problems or something.

Brighthouse digital cable was over $60 a month. With Voom, I now pay just $52 total a month, and I get all my local over the air channels in HD as well (Along with the dish, Voom provides an over the air HD antenna which plugs into their box which decodes them). There are no upfront system costs with Voom, and no contracts. The voom system has component HD and DVI connections. Best of all it has over 30 HD channels just in their basic package (Brighthouse Cable, DirectTV, and Dish Network don't even come close).

Sorry if I sound like a commercial... And no I don't work for Voom, I'm just a happy customer.

Ahhh, a topic close to my heart.

For my history, just read nkb's posts. :D

When my Motorola box was installed for Comcast HD, I noticed that the non-HD channels were much worse quality than the "normal" channels I used to have on DirecTV. I did a little research and found that the Motorola box was a beta product, and there was still (at the time of shipment) an algorithm problem getting the non-HD channels to appear crisp. So, it's not your imagination if you can't stand the non-HD stuff on your Motorola box...

I looked into Voom at Sears a while back. I can't remember why I didn't sign on at the time, but there was some drawback to it. Maybe it was the long lead time to get it installed, I don't remember. It sounds like you are very happy with it, dnicho05.

Autophile said:
I looked into Voom at Sears a while back. I can't remember why I didn't sign on at the time, but there was some drawback to it. Maybe it was the long lead time to get it installed, I don't remember. It sounds like you are very happy with it, dnicho05.
Hey Autophile,

I know what the drawback was when you looked at it. Up until the past few months, Voom was charging a $700 up front equipment and installation fee for their setup. Of course no-body jumped on that bandwagon, so now thats gone.

So now there are no up front costs (no equipment to buy, and installation is free), just the monthly $52 rate, or if you want everything (HBO, Cinemax, Shotime, Stars, etc.) its around $80 a month. The basic $52 package is great though.

Wow! Thanks for the info Doug! I will be looking into Voom again very soon, then. :D

Oh, you're right, it was the high up-front costs that kept me out of it before... ;)

Edit: I went to Sears this afternoon to check on Voom. They said they will give a $500 discount on Voom startup costs IF you buy a big screen TV, but they still work it with the assumption of $700 or so in startup costs. The "no startup cost" deal only applies if you order Voom directly from the Voom website.

Last edited:
I tried to order Voom but their satellite is so low in the sky that you can easily run into problems with trees and other buildings getting the way. There was a very tall tree standing between my chimney and the Voom satellite so I wasn't able to order the service.

Right now, I have Adelphia digital cable - the HD picture quality is awesome but definitely could be better. I'm going to cancel my cable and go with DirecTV because they now offer an HD Tivo option.

So, soon, I'll be able to watch AND record HD content. WOOHOO!

I have a Pioneer Elite 50-inch Plasma. The TV and the picture is gorgeous. I'm putting in HD monitors througout the rest of the house as well. Costco has an HD 30 inch 16:9 tube TV from Philips for $699 right now.

I am a big fan of cable. It offers more channels and more types of services from that coaxial cable.

High Definition
Voice over IP
Video on Demand
Digital Video Recorder
High Speed Internet

All this plus 250 channels for only $89.99 per month. which includes the digital converter box and cable modem. You can not beat that package.

Tan

Tantheman said:
I am a big fan of cable. It offers more channels and more types of services from that coaxial cable.

High Definition
Voice over IP
Video on Demand
Digital Video Recorder
High Speed Internet

All this plus 250 channels for only $89.99 per month. which includes the digital converter box and cable modem. You can not beat that package.

Tan

Thats the package I got ...im just not happy with the picture quality on the non HD channels

I love Direct Tv. I ordered HD cable to compare the picture a few months back, and the quality of Direct was much better.

Rob

Back