Different engine swaps in an NSX chassis?

I don't understand the desire to use such a heavy engine like the LS7 vs. a much smaller and many times more powerful buick V6. I can only guess it comes down to running NA vs. FI. An all-aluminum, twin-turbo Buick V-6 weighs in at under 300 pounds. That swallows the Chev IMO.

Aluminum NA 3.2L Honda NSX = 440 lbs @ 290hp = 1.51 hp/lb
Aluminum NA 7.0L Chevy LS7 = 490 lbs @ 505hp = 1.03 hp/lb
Aluminum Turbo 4.1L Buick V6 = 300 lbs @ 700hp = 2.33 hp/lb

The above stats were assembled from various other forums. I cannot guarantee the exact numbers, but personally feel they are quite accurate for a fully dressed engine.

nsxsocal said:
With all the above said, why on earth would you put a LS7 in an nsx?? If I wanted an LS7 and a 6speed that bad, i would just go buy a new Z06 and have a 5 year 100K warranty.

My goal is to build a true JGTC replica, not just a fancy wide body kit. I just love the look of that car and frankly, my feeling is that if the engine isn’t behind the driver than it isn’t a real race car (more emotional than factual). I found a slightly damaged NSX for my donor car and proceeded to tear it down to the bare frame. After quite a bit of research I've concluded that the JGTC NSXs are about as close to a real NSX as a NEXTEL Cup car is to something off the showroom. While I could copy the elaborate frame mods/geometry required to both make the car handle properly under track conditions and comply with the JGTC rules I figured it'd be a whole lot easier to simply cut the front and back clips off the frame and tube it out. Now, after all that work why deal with a relatively delicate motor and trans? While the engine can be made powerful (at a tall price) it’s very difficult to make it strong/stiff (at any price). And who wants to pay $30K for a Hewland trans so you can take advantage of the power? So my solution is to go with a different engine and trans with performance potential well within their design limitations. Is it still an NSX? Probably not, but I hope to come as close as I can to the looks and performance of a true JGTC NSX as possible.

Mark911 said:
My goal is to build a true JGTC replica, not just a fancy wide body kit. I just love the look of that car and frankly, my feeling is that if the engine isn’t behind the driver than it isn’t a real race car (more emotional than factual). I found a slightly damaged NSX for my donor car and proceeded to tear it down to the bare frame. After quite a bit of research I've concluded that the JGTC NSXs are about as close to a real NSX as a NEXTEL Cup car is to something off the showroom. While I could copy the elaborate frame mods/geometry required to both make the car handle properly under track conditions and comply with the JGTC rules I figured it'd be a whole lot easier to simply cut the front and back clips off the frame and tube it out. Now, after all that work why deal with a relatively delicate motor and trans? While the engine can be made powerful (at a tall price) it’s very difficult to make it strong/stiff (at any price). And who wants to pay $30K for a Hewland trans so you can take advantage of the power? So my solution is to go with a different engine and trans with performance potential well within their design limitations. Is it still an NSX? Probably not, but I hope to come as close as I can to the looks and performance of a true JGTC NSX as possible.

Just my own opinion.... but.... while many here may have the capacity and resources to build out a bad-ass street, club racer, or even semi-pro track car...

There was a 1 hour special recently on the Pratt & Miller team from Michigan developing, building, and running their C6R race car at sebring on comcast last month.

Just look at the resources.. and how many millions were spent, the veteran engineers, the unlimited factory backed resources, tooling and R&D, and the year-round time that was spent building that Corvette to run at the American Le Mans- then realize that it is alleged to be entirely non-competitive with a Honda Racing Super GT 500 NSX... then we can all get to go back to dreaming about whatever DIY project is going on in our garages at home as being 'close to the looks and performance of a true JGTC NSX".

You can do a swap, or build the engine out.. and since their limited per the rules you might get it to move like one, but in terms of reliability, feel, handling and overall lap times... several sources have been quoted as saying that you likely couldn't build a vehicle that would be even comparable nor competitive without near a million dollars up front- which is why most race teams on limited budgets are driving their competitors used race cars from the last season.

You are all a bunch of pansies talking about swapping LS7s and buicks into an nsx. Get some balls! My current engine swap plans will deliver 108,920 hp at 102 rpm and 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Here's a photo of me and my buddies working on the crank in my garage:

rta96c_crank.jpg

And the block needs a few mods to fit in the NSX engine bay:

rta96c_cyldeck.jpg

I may need to gut the trunk to squeeze this in. And wait until you see the dyno chart! I'm still looking for a tranny that can handle 5.6 million lb/ft of torque though.

Last edited:
melmark said:
You are all a bunch of pansies talking about swapping LS7s and buicks into an nsx. Get some balls! My current engine swap plans will deliver 108,920 hp at 102 rpm and 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Here's a photo of me and my buddies working on the crank in my garage:

And the block needs a few mods to fit in the NSX engine bay:

I may need to gut the trunk to squeeze this in. And wait until you see the dyno chart! I'm still looking for a tranny that can handle 5.6 million lb/ft of torque though.

Pursuing the infamous container ship turbo diesel swap? I hear that is popular on the team integra forums... all I can say is the Next track day up here is October 27th if you can make it, maybe if you need anyone to help out as a driver for a pilot car for your oversized convoy to the track in the morning... :smile:

While I would love to retire my old daily-driver '92 and do the SOS 3.8L and redo the stock panels in CF for weight savings, realistically, I would take $40k and spend it on this 2250lb (wet) mid-engine vehicle:

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/GTM/concept.html

I can appreciate whoever decides to really modify a vehicle and do something creative, but I just wouldn't be able to pull it off.

Back