Did I do the right thing?

I offered 43k as my last offer on the 95 Red/Blk w/ 12k mi. and the seller was stuck at 44k. So for now we left the deal undone, one reason was that I found out here that I may be spending another $1500 on 30-60 service soon after... I hope I did the right thing !?!? Did I ?

The car looked just like this one Bay State Motors in MA sold this past weekend (<a href="http://www.baystatemotorsports.com/95_nsx_red.htm">http://www.baystatemotorsports.com/95_nsx_red.htm</a>) Theirs had 23k miles and sold for $46k. At that rate is my deal worth the $44 he's asking?

[This message has been edited by NSXSTER (edited 08 October 2002).]

Without trying to sound cheesy, it is worth what you are willing to pay for. Everyone has their limit, and apparently you have reached yours. Remember - As much as you can spend another $1000, he can come down!

Besides, there are always other NSX's in the sea. Good luck in your hunt.

Chris.

------------------
1994 300ZX TT
Stage VI+ (auto)
338 rwhp - 380 rwt

[This message has been edited by Eggman (edited 08 October 2002).]

Originally posted by NSXSTER:
Theirs had 23k miles and sold for $46k. At that rate is my deal worth the $44 he's asking?

Yes, absolutely.

Let's assume that all NSXs are exactly the same except for mileage. It's not true, but let's assume that. If that car is worth $46K, then the car you're looking at is worth more than $46K (after the service is done), because it has 11K fewer miles. If it needs $1500 in service and you pay $44K for it, that means you're getting it for $45,500 - which means you're paying less money for a similar car with fewer miles. Definitely a better deal, assuming everything else between the two cars is exactly the same (which it probably isn't).

A '95 with mileage that low is very rare, and you can't count on another one coming along. If that's what you want, then get it - even if you have to pay the $44K.

If you two are stuck $1000 apart, did either of you offer to split the difference? Try that first.

it appears you have looked at all the new listings that have popped up recently? like new ones everyday. there are several that seem to be better value. granted they don't have 12k miles, but is that really that important to you? if it had 30k miles would you be disappointed every time you saw the odometer? you could certainly spend less if you want to. it would appear that none of his buyers(assuming there are others) want to give him his price either. why do you think it hasn't sold yet? only you know how much you can and want to spend. there are plenty of 95 and 96 for sale. every day somebody else wants to sell their car. don't forget to check cars.com and traderonline.com.

nsxtasy, i usually read your posts because they are well thought out and generally give valuable info. that said, i hope the buyer here noticed you said "IF THAT CAR IS WORTH 46K, THEN..." yeah, if 46k is fair, then 44k is a good deal relative to baystate car. but, is 46k a good price? that's debatable. there is a red 96 w/ 21k ASKING 45 obo. at first blush isn't that a serious bargain relative to the car in question and baystate car? how much more carpet and seat wear can there be in 9k miles?

fwiw, the baystate car ran on ebay 3 or 4 times as a no sale. it started with a buy it now price of 50k and then ran at least two more times with a buy it now price of 46k. the high bid for all times run was 41k.
wouldn't you agree that just because a retail dealer makes one sale at 46k, it does not define the market. it is one sale. one data point. show me several dozen sales and you can define your market. remember the blk/blk 95 w/ 30k asking 40k. it sold for 40k or less. that in itself doesn't define the market either.

how bad do you want a 12k mile car? me, i don't. you might. i work hard for my money. i bet you do too. and i just won't pay retail for anything unless i have no choice.

ps. if your seller listed the car in this forum, it means he may be watching you debate/agonize/analyze/question in public what to do. in other words, you are showing him your hand. in the future, maybe you should keep your cards closer to your vest.

good luck. just be happy and confident in your decision whatever that may be. don't beat yourself up later over something you did or didn't do. nsx or not, it is a piece of aluminum.

Originally posted by akydakyx:
nsxtasy, i usually read your posts because they are well thought out and generally give valuable info. that said, i hope the buyer here noticed you said "IF THAT CAR IS WORTH 46K, THEN..." yeah, if 46k is fair, then 44k is a good deal relative to baystate car.

That's the question that NSXSTER asked, and that's the question I answered.

but, is 46k a good price?

That is NOT the question that NSXSTER asked.

However, there really isn't an answer to that question, simply because there are so few '95 cars out there with only 12K miles. And the bottom line here is that a car with super-low miles is going to be worth more than a car that has more miles. Very simple. Is it worth paying a few thousand dollars extra? Obviously, it's not worth it to you. But it may very well be worth it to NSXSTER, and to many other folks. I'm sure he and others already know that they could get higher-mileage cars for less money, yet he is still interested in this one.

You ask:

how much more carpet and seat wear can there be in 9k miles?

You seem to be claiming that there should be no premium paid for lower miles, and no discount taken for higher miles. That just doesn't make sense to me. Cars only last so long, and in many ways, the wear and tire comes with miles. A car with 9K more miles is going to have 9K more miles of wear and tear on the seats, the engine, etc, 9K more miles of chips on the front nose and the windshield, etc. 9K more miles isn't as much as 90K more miles - but it's still a difference. And there should be a visual difference between a car that has 12K miles and one with 21K miles. (And again, for all we know, the car with 21K miles may have other flaws and may not be exactly equivalent.)

It is most certainly NOT a matter of "paying retail", and you shouldn't mislead others in making such claims. A car with fewer miles is worth a higher price. Those who want fewer miles are willing to pay for them; those who aren't willing to pay, like you, are willing to settle for a car that someone else already put a lot more miles on it. Different choices for different folks.

Here's another way of looking at it. Let's say that you have to pay $2K more for a car with 9K fewer miles. If the life of an NSX is, say, 180K miles, then this means you're buying an extra 5 percent of NSX life for $2K - not a bad deal.

Just think about the $$$$$$ High Six Figures you have lost in the Nasdaq over the last two years. Not to mention the $$$$$ you've lost in the last 4 Months. And that will make the paltry 1k thats keeping you out of your dream car seem insignificant. I hope this puts things in perspective.

All I can say about this market is ouch!

Originally posted by dvkim:
Just think about the $$$$$$ High Six Figures you have lost in the Nasdaq over the last two years.

smile.gif
I like your logic. I'm gonna use that on my wife to support my argument.

nsxtasy, true... i too thought that on the price/car basis my deal is defintely better but then i think about the "dealer" vs. "private party sale" thing and assume that Bay State's car already had the dealer cream added to the price too. I guess eggman is right; "it is worth what you are willing to pay for it." I can either dig deeper and cut back on those NYC nights out, or just wait it out
smile.gif

akydakyx, the lower miles a defintely a plus for me, and as nsxtasy said, they're not many 95's out there especially if i limit my color choices. And most are 30k+ in miles with quite visible wear-n-tear.

The seller isn't very active on any of the forums or the web as far as I know. And the condition of the car is as good as a 95 would get; almost no hood chips, very little bolster & carpet wear, no dash wear, crisp glass, etc... I know my offer was more than fair so i'll lay low for a while. Winter is right around the corner and here in the northeast this isn't the best time to sell an nsx so i might be hearing from him
smile.gif
. I'll keep you guys posted.

- Sal.

NSXSTER,

I think you have worked out a good deal at 44k. I looked at the 95 at Bay State earlier this summer and almost bought it at the 50k price. That car was in perfect condition. I am very picky and could only find a couple rock chips. I'm sure they sold it at 46k because they had had it for so long. Back in June when I was looking at it they were not budging.

Bay State finally went out and found me a really nice 91 with 20k miles on it. The pic is in the recent sales section.

CAZ

If the car is clean and in the condition you described, yes, it is a good deal at $44k.

Let's review...

It sounds like you want an NSX, have the money, and this car meets your needs as far as color and ultra-low miles, condition, no issues, etc.

You know that there are not all that many cars meeting all these criteria on the market (or even in existance, really). This car is available at a good price.

Given all that, I find it more than a little odd that you are going to pass on it just because, basically it sounds like you are afraid someone somewhere at some point may have gotten a better deal.

P.S. If I bought it, I would not put in $1500 in maintenance anytime in the immediate future. I would not do a timing belt on a 12k mile '95 car. I would flush fluids if they were due and drive away. I am not telling you what to do, just what I would do.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 09 October 2002).]

Lud, thanks for your honest input. I know, i'm just dragging it too much. I'll call the seller again tonight and if he hasn't changed his mind i 'll just go for it.

Glad to hear it!
smile.gif
Once you have the car for a while I bet you'll look back and wonder why you were on the fence.

I'll call the seller again tonight and if he hasn't changed his mind i 'll just go for it.

Try offering to split the difference first.
wink.gif

BTW, one other criterion for whether or not to buy: If you waited a week and found out that it was sold for $44K, would you be sorry you didn't buy it for $44K? If so, buy it now.

I just checked out the car and the website. It says it was sold to Bill in San Antonio. Hope your are fine with whatever decision you have made! :-)

Chris.

You're gonna let $1000.00 stand between you and this car?
You may not really want it and are looking for a way to talk yourself out of it.
That's cool. Some people like the hunt but don't like the kill.
It sure looks nice in that photo.
Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Originally posted by pbassjo:
You're gonna let $1000.00 stand between you and this car?

You must not be married yet.
smile.gif

It's just that the last one I bought (94 Green w/ 19K mi) was for $38k. This one, of course, is nicer but i've gotta justify 6K worth of niceness to the wifee...

Originally posted by 92NSX:
NSXSTER,
Did you get the car or somebod else buy it?

Called the guy on Friday. He's out to TX on a business trip. His wife said he'll call me tuesday when he's back. Meanwhile... things have been pretty smooth sailing here at the kitchen negotiating table. (If you know what I mean
smile.gif
)

[This message has been edited by NSXSTER (edited 13 October 2002).]

Married 27 years. In a row with the same girl.
She wants me to get a new one. I'm the one that's dragging my heels or, should I say Acura is.(that's my excuse
smile.gif
)
I understand. It's a chunk of money for a toy.

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 14 October 2002).]

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 14 October 2002).]

You must not be married yet.
smile.gif

It's just that the last one I bought (94 Green w/ 19K mi) was for $38k. This one, of course, is nicer but i've gotta justify 6K worth of niceness to the wifee...

I'll tell you what. $6k difference for one year newer, almost half the miles, a Targa top, and a desireable color, is well worth it. Trust me.
biggrin.gif
I agree with Ken, though. He will split the $1000 difference with you. That's a very reasonable offer if you guys are stuck at $43k and $44k.

Meanwhile... things have been pretty smooth sailing here at the kitchen negotiating table. (If you know what I mean
smile.gif
)

Some of those negotiations can be facilitated elsewhere around the house...
biggrin.gif

Back