• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Did anyone time themselves at Sebring at NSXPO '06?

Did you check hot pressures?I say this because to get my ra1's to the desired hot 38 psi I start at 28-31 cold depending on track temps.I cant imagine those kuhmos needing more than 40 psi hot.If much higher you might have been running on the center tread inducing oversteer.

docjohn said:
Did you check hot pressures?I say this because to get my ra1's to the desired hot 38 psi I start at 28-31 cold depending on track temps.I cant imagine those kuhmos needing more than 40 psi hot.If much higher you might have been running on the center tread inducing oversteer.

No, I didn't check them hot. Kind of a lot going on during an instructor day, plus I think I was just too hung up on it being swaybars, shocks, driving technique. It could be that I was crowning them a little. I did have this problem with the Yoko Advan R-compound I used when I first got the car (came with the extra set of wheels with the car). When I get home I'll have to check to see if I did any scrubbing on the shoulders.

Again, I didn't mess with that as I was given what I thought would be a good starting point. I'll definitely look after that next time, even though I mentioned to the previous poster that I didn't think it was tire pressures.

I feel like a beginner learning a different car, which is effectively what I am in this car.

Ya know, even though I didn't give flyn2lo48's suggestion much consideration on first read, I think you guys might be on to something. I know what overinflated tires feel like, and it's possible that's what I was feeling, but there's something else going on that is making the tail feel weird, possibly shocks.

Damn, I wish there was an event I could go to this weekend! So much to try!

I think Johns right, I ran Kumo's between 36 and 38 hot. If I started at 37 cold with air vs. nitrogen, they would presumably get near 50 PSI. Especially if they were spinning off the corner.

Also another note to consider: The suggested pressures that you may have heard or the ones that tire manufacturers recommend is usually HIGH in order to run cooler and protect the tire. This number is not the pressure where you get ultimate grip… the goal of a team or car builder is to develop a car that has surplus ability to win the class and then you can raise your pressures higher then the optimal grip level for longer life.

docjohn said:

RacerX-21 said:
Here’s a couple of passenger runs at Sebring, sorry I don’t have better but I mistakenly copied over all but two with the Buttonwillow runs.

http://www.racerx.tv/Video/Sebring1.wmv
O.K. I was trying to figure out a 2:19 in an NSX at SEF. After watching your video, I understand. That car is fast.

I thought 2:41 was fast. That was in a Jim Cope car.

John

Back