• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

DF under the hood air duct, almost ready

No spare, because NSX-R hood or replica will not house the spare.

I just had my under cover installed yesterday and did some serious hard driving... The car did not over heat.

BTW, from what I can see. if it rains, the water will mostly drain through the bottom of the radiator cover because it is not sealed. Anyway, I don't see how massive water will get in during driving even under raining condition. The only way to get significant amount of water into it is if you wash the car and point the hose at it. The three bolts holds the duct bucket in but would seal it 100%.

I also tested the system by driving my car through a touchless car wash, and didn't have any problems. The data were forwarded to DF today.

Again thanks Vance for all your support and your important time that you spend helping DF and Peter we greatly appreciate it. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Post some pictures of the real time NSX version for us so we can all see the difference.

Still need to be tested, and my car will be the test subject:wink: The design is for NA application, stock radiator, with aero undercover. We'll see how it turns out.

Hey Vance how goes the testing? Also can DF find someone who tracks their car to test this part as well. For my fellow track rats here we know there's a lot more stress/heat doing laps than street driving :wink:

i saw on DF's site that they make a direct replica of the R duct out of CF.
the only thing with this is that you have to modify it to work with LHD cars.

i duno about you guys, but i'd rather have the OEM style, which is proven to work, and provides a certain amount of airflow through the hood.

is there any way that DF can simply provide us with an OEM piece pre-modified for LHD? ....cause that'd be the hotness. :cool:

Update. It has been a month since I installed the DF air duct bucket. Some really hard driving to test my shift lights:biggrin: The temperature needle stay at the same spot, never once, over heat.

Perhaps some one with the R hood set up can take it to the track for us.:smile:

My opinion, I don't like it - the factory original design looks better and allows water to drain freely out of the front hood compartment and not back through the radiator.... this includes limiting back pressure - my opinion from visually looking at it is that this design will actually slow the car down due to limited max flow issues at very high speeds...

The factory design has been tested and found to be functional - this product will never have that opportunity although I feel strongly confident that if this design would work that Honda would have done it that way....

Please make the original design for left hand drive - I proactivley purchased the NSX-R hood and duct for my 98 months ago from Erick thinking I was going to get what the NSX-R had installed.....

This design needs to be significantly tested. The factory NSX-R duct likely does not shroud up to the radiator since this would create significant back pressure with the fan discharging straight at the back wall of the duct.

Completely shrouded radiators must have the radiator fan directed towards a path of lower resistance. With too much back pressure, which is what this design looks like, the car will surely over heat under heavy loads.

For an example, please see the Real Time Racing setup. Their design tills the radiator at a 45 degree angle so that the fan is pointed at the duct opening. In their testing, a shrouded duct with the radiator in the stock location caused the car to over heat.

Update. It has been a month since I installed the DF air duct bucket. Some really hard driving to test my shift lights:biggrin: The temperature needle stay at the same spot, never once, over heat.

With these doubts I think a few months at the track with more than one car testing it out will be needed. The concern is all the heat and I don't think one day at the track will be enough R&D. Hard Street driving is definetly not enough R&D to determine the outcome with the over heat problems.
But what do I know....

how about starting your car and leaving it on for an hour (no movement)? the efficiency of the fan with this duct is what's in question, no? as long as you're driving, i hope your car isn't overheating :wink:

I have a stock hood, stock radiator, stock everything in regards to the cooling system and have never once had my car even come close to over heating even under the hardest driving conditions in the middle of summer. I see how this product MIGHT help extreme track rats, but realistically, how is it going to help the average street car besides having another cool carbon fiber goodie under the hood?

I have an AIM Pista data logger in my car, and if I had a hood that would accept the duct I'd be happy to actually log H20 temp readings, on track or otherwise. Just need a hood I guess :tongue:

how about starting your car and leaving it on for an hour (no movement)? the efficiency of the fan with this duct is what's in question, no? as long as you're driving, i hope your car isn't overheating :wink:

How about 45 minutes-ish? I tried to stay warm in my car during our 30 degree southern california night time winter weather last week while waiting for my friend to get out of the air port, 1:00am in the morning. The car sat in the parking structure with engine running. And nope, the needle stay at the same spot!!!

As for YayNSX, if a regular NSX can over heats during a single track event, or a NSX-R during BMI battle, I think one hard driven track event some where in southern california should be sufficient, wouldn't you think?

Hi Vance,

I'm interested to know whether the change of duct has had any effect on the paint finish to your hood.

We know that painted CF hoods can suffer from some paint sink as they are exposed to more heat over time. Just curious to know if focussing the radiator heat has increased the effect around the area of the hood vent?

regards,

Hi Vance,

I'm interested to know whether the change of duct has had any effect on the paint finish to your hood.

We know that painted CF hoods can suffer from some paint sink as they are exposed to more heat over time. Just curious to know if focussing the radiator heat has increased the effect around the area of the hood vent?

regards,
Be honest with you, I did not noticed any thing, and my hood is a wet laid with CF upper and bottom. It has been a month, perhaps some more time is needed? Regarldess, I don't think the heat exit the duct is as hot as... let's say, during California summer, or ever worse, Las Vegas Summer, where my car spend most of it's life.

Any new updates Vance?

I was at DF this week and I saw one finish product ready for sell, you can contact Peter if you want it:wink:

I have a stock hood, stock radiator, stock everything in regards to the cooling system and have never once had my car even come close to over heating even under the hardest driving conditions in the middle of summer. I see how this product MIGHT help extreme track rats, but realistically, how is it going to help the average street car besides having another cool carbon fiber goodie under the hood?

:confused:
this product's primary function is to improve frontal downforce (and, ultimately, handling) with a vented hood. it may help cooling by allowing the heat to vent a little better, but is not needed to keep your nsx from overheating.

How about 45 minutes-ish? I tried to stay warm in my car during our 30 degree southern california night time winter weather last week while waiting for my friend to get out of the air port, 1:00am in the morning. The car sat in the parking structure with engine running. And nope, the needle stay at the same spot!!!

As for YayNSX, if a regular NSX can over heats during a single track event, or a NSX-R during BMI battle, I think one hard driven track event some where in southern california should be sufficient, wouldn't you think?

not bad :smile: definitely a nice product, then :cool:
personally, though, i would like something more along the lines of the OEM one, mostly because i want to replicate the handling of the R as much as possible (esp since i just put the new suspension on).

Myself, Im not concerned with the rerouting of the airflow causing an overheat issue under 99.9999999999% of the situations, but I would be concerned that this unit wont fit many of the "NSX-R" hoods that are out there.

How will we know about fitment? I hate looking through my vent to see my battery and stuff.

any updates? It's been a while:rolleyes:

Sam?
Peter?
Vance?

any updates? It's been a while:rolleyes:

Sam?
Peter?
Vance?

If DF are not making it anymore I know Dali has them. Dali also makes air duct that was made to fit the VIS hood and its in stock. I will have one of these very soon. VIS hoods looks real good, fits real good, great price and with this air duct its fully functionable NSX-R hood.

Last edited:
If DF are not making it anymore I know Dali has them. Dali also makes air duct that was made to fit the VIS hood and its in stock. I will have one of these very soon. VIS hoods looks real good, fits real good, great price and with this air duct its fully functionable NSX-R hood.

I think the DF hood and VIS(that Dali sells) have a different scoop design to them. Therefore, the the ducts might not interchange with the hoods.

Can someone correct or verify this?

They made them, last time I was there, which is about a month ago, they had at least five of them sitting there. PM Sam and he should show you the way.

My car is at Universal Studio so I haven't driven it in a while, prior to that, I didn't have any problems. I may take my car to Vegas next month, it will be a ultimate test to see if the car will over heat, but some how I doubt it will do that. I drove my car pertty hard many times after it was installed.

More review after the Vegas trip.

Sam,

thanks, got it.
Cleared & Installed :smile: :biggrin:

I put 2 3/16 SS screws at 9 & 3 on the shroud opening, and fabricated a bracket attached from the spare tire support to the center of the rear face.

Attachments

• IMG_2299.jpg
    IMG_2299.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2300.jpg
    IMG_2300.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2302.jpg
    IMG_2302.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 169
Back