• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

DF under the hood air duct, almost ready

BD

Legendary Member
I got the first production unit last week and it is freakin sweet. It is nothing like the OEM piece but the fitment and functionality is probably the best in its class. No more dealing with the OEM RHD style. However, It will only work with OEM radiator and Type R hood, or replica. The installation involves only three screws, no "creative" relocation of parts is required.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow when the sun is out. If you have a DF hook, you probably want one. Production should start very soon. Peter is going to do one more addition to make look nicer.

So, get your wallet ready:biggrin:

I got the first production unit last week and it is freakin sweet. It is nothing like the OEM piece but the fitment and functionality is probably the best in its class. No more dealing with the OEM RHD style. However, It will only work with OEM radiator and Type R hood, or replica. The installation involves only three screws, no "creative" relocation of parts is required.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow when the sun is out. If you have a DF hook, you probably want one. Production should start very soon. Peter is going to do one more addition to make look nicer.

So, get your wallet ready:biggrin:

I saw this piece and i could honestly say it looks good. I like it cause its a fully functional air duct. :smile:

All right guys, this is the first production type. A little dusty and final sanding was not done. There is one more piece to be add on, and it is in the middle of final development. As for the price, I can't tell you because of the missing piece, but I'm sure as usual, it will be well priced just like other DF productions. This is a brilliant design, much better than the Honda OEM part.

View from the out side
DSC01291.jpg

DSC01292.jpg

Pop the hood. It will connect directly to your Type R replica hood.
DSC01293.jpg

Connect directly to your OEM radiator. Three screws will hold it in. No relocation of any under the hood parts.
DSC01295.jpg

DSC01294.jpg

A closer look
DSC01296.jpg

It wouldn't effect the VIS hood, because the duct is higher. If the location of the duct is similar to the Type R hood, DF may make a adaptor piece to the venting area can connect directly to the VIS duct. To be discussed.

damm my wallet has gone DEFCON1:biggrin: :eek:

when do I detonate the nuke:eek:

All right guys, this is the first production type. A little dusty and final sanding was not done. There is one more piece to be add on, and it is in the middle of final development. As for the price, I can't tell you because of the missing piece, but I'm sure as usual, it will be well priced just like other DF productions. This is a brilliant design, much better than the Honda OEM part.

View from the out side
DSC01291.jpg

DSC01292.jpg

Pop the hood. It will connect directly to your Type R replica hood.
DSC01293.jpg

Connect directly to your OEM radiator. Three screws will hold it in. No relocation of any under the hood parts.
DSC01295.jpg

DSC01294.jpg

A closer look
DSC01296.jpg

Wow I am shocked! Hey Vance can you still hold the spare with that duct?

damm my wallet has gone DEFCON1:biggrin: :eek:

when do I detonate the nuke:eek:

ROFLMAO!!!:smile: :smile: :smile:

That describes my situation exactly...too many group buys and not enough $$$.

I want to put my car on a High Fiber Diet!!!:biggrin: and this duct fits right in there.

Wasn't there one of these type of parts that were being produced that DID fit the VIS(SOS) type of hood?
I guess I'll just have to hope that an adaptor can be made/used to work on my current hood.:frown:

That looks pretty cool, is there going to be some type of gasket between the top of the duct and the hood?

If somebody has an accurate means of data logging water temperatures (eg an AEM EMS) it would be interesting to record the performance of this duct, versus an OEM-type duct.

Wasn't there one of these type of parts that were being produced that DID fit the VIS(SOS) type of hood?
I guess I'll just have to hope that an adaptor can be made/used to work on my current hood.:frown:

SOS made an 'interesting'-looking aluminum contraption, intended to provide similar functionality, but it was discontinued after a short while.

SOS made an 'interesting'-looking aluminum contraption, intended to provide similar functionality, but it was discontinued after a short while.

Yeah, I know. I didn't like the looks of it very much and I didn't think it was very functional due to being so squared off and as such.
That is why I need something like this.
Granted Procar makes something along the same lines serving the same function but I can't justify the $$$.:frown:

Will this work with a Backyard Special NSX-R hood? My understanding is that both the DF hood and the BYS hood are exact replicas of the OEM NSX-R hood, except that the BYS did not copy the underside of the hood. So I assume that the depth and angle of the scoop should be the same as the DF hood. Vance, can you confirm?

This design needs to be significantly tested. The factory NSX-R duct likely does not shroud up to the radiator since this would create significant back pressure with the fan discharging straight at the back wall of the duct.

Completely shrouded radiators must have the radiator fan directed towards a path of lower resistance. With too much back pressure, which is what this design looks like, the car will surely over heat under heavy loads.

For an example, please see the Real Time Racing setup. Their design tills the radiator at a 45 degree angle so that the fan is pointed at the duct opening. In their testing, a shrouded duct with the radiator in the stock location caused the car to over heat.

This design needs to be significantly tested. The factory NSX-R duct likely does not shroud up to the radiator since this would create significant back pressure with the fan discharging straight at the back wall of the duct.

Completely shrouded radiators must have the radiator fan directed towards a path of lower resistance. With too much back pressure, which is what this design looks like, the car will surely over heat under heavy loads.

For an example, please see the Real Time Racing setup. Their design tills the radiator at a 45 degree angle so that the fan is pointed at the duct opening. In their testing, a shrouded duct with the radiator in the stock location caused the car to over heat.

I must say, that same thought has gone through my head. I am not an engineer, but this is a significant departure from the factory bucket.

I must say, that same thought has gone through my head. I am not an engineer, but this is a significant departure from the factory bucket.

My opinion, I don't like it - the factory original design looks better and allows water to drain freely out of the front hood compartment and not back through the radiator.... this includes limiting back pressure - my opinion from visually looking at it is that this design will actually slow the car down due to limited max flow issues at very high speeds...

The factory design has been tested and found to be functional - this product will never have that opportunity although I feel strongly confident that if this design would work that Honda would have done it that way....

Please make the original design for left hand drive - I proactivley purchased the NSX-R hood and duct for my 98 months ago from Erick thinking I was going to get what the NSX-R had installed.....

Last edited:

Post some pictures of the real time NSX version for us so we can all see the difference.

Still need to be tested, and my car will be the test subject:wink: The design is for NA application, stock radiator, with aero undercover. We'll see how it turns out.

I noticed that there is a pretty radical transition near the hood interface which could cause a negative pressure situation and possibly hinder the flow..especially in the corner areas of the hood opening which are pretty much ineffective. Are you using a CAD package for this design?

Normally you would want to have a good area distribution across the length of the duct that will maximize pressure recovery...There are some good CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamic) Softwares out there that can predict the outcome prior to testing to reduce the iteration cycle during design phase.

I have designed some aircraft inlet ducts that look similar to what you have. All the design work was done on Pro/E or CATIA and the analysis was done in Fluint or Rhino. Of course big aerospace companys have lots of budget for engineering tools.

No spare, because NSX-R hood or replica will not house the spare.

I just had my under cover installed yesterday and did some serious hard driving... The car did not over heat.

BTW, from what I can see. if it rains, the water will mostly drain through the bottom of the radiator cover because it is not sealed. Anyway, I don't see how massive water will get in during driving even under raining condition. The only way to get significant amount of water into it is if you wash the car and point the hose at it. The three bolts holds the duct bucket in but would not seal it 100%.

I also tested the system by driving my car through a touchless car wash, and didn't have any problems. The data were forwarded to DF today.

Last edited:
Back