Determining value of '91 NSX?

so why should/would the insurance company give her more money for the car just because it lost some value due to the accident. Since they are going to be paying for the repairs I can almost promise you that they would laugh at your request.
If in fact they do pay, PLEASE let everyone on here know so that we can all do the same if we are ever in an accident.
They could care less how much value the car has dropped since the accident. It's not their concern. HOWEVER, you might have better luck going after the dealership where it was damaged. There was another member here that had his smashed up after they took it for a test drive after installing a CTSC. It was a long drawn out battle.

Last edited:
I think the diminished value will depend on how good the repairs look and how well the paint matches. What color is the car? I hope it isn't silver. That color is harder to match. If the car hasn't seen alot of UV exposure, then chances are better.

so why should/would the insurance company give her more money for the car just because it lost some value due to the accident. Since they are going to be paying for the repairs I can almost promise you that they would laugh at your request.

Actually in some states the insurance company is required to pay diminished value if you request it. Once requested they will make you an offer you can then try to negotiate.

I actually got diminished value on my 93 Rx-7 that was hit in the rear and pushed into a van. Hood, front and rear bumbers were painted. It was completely fixed and done very well. The total was about $9k to fix it and I got $800 for diminished value. Car's value at the time was about $24k (it was 9 months old).

Also the insurance company does not care what you plan to do with your car. They won't even ask. In GA, where my car was located, you are required by law to disclose an accident on a vehicle if a potential buyer asks. That's why the insurance companies are required to pay diminished value if it is requested and reasonable. If your bumber is scratched and then painted don't expect to get diminished value. It does not matter if you choose to sell your car 10 years after the accident.

NSX-Stalker

Last edited:
We're both east coast. The dealership that broke it is a credited Acura dealership and authorized NSX bodyshop IIRC
Make sure they have a lot of experience working on NSXs.

Regardless, you are entitled to choose whatever body shop you like for your repair. Most body shops work with the insurance company to try to get the cost reimbursed in full where possible (less any applicable deductible).

If you need a second opinion or another estimate, one East Coast body shop that is an absolute expert in NSX body repairs is Vince's, about an hour north of New York.

Actually in some states the insurance company is required to pay diminished value if you request it.
And in some other states claims for diminished value are prohibited by law. Also some policies exclude it explicitly, so you may want to check the wording in your policy.

Back