Determining value of '91 NSX?

Hi everyone -

My friend has a mint, all stock '91 with 60K on it. She's had it since 1992 and it has been garaged and generally babied, with no accidents or paint work ever. It is nearly pristine, inside and out except for some curb rash on the stock rims and one minor scuff on the rocker...

...and the dealership working on it just backed a car into it. It's going to need a new front fender,wheelhouse splash shield, marker lamp and paint work to the scuffed bumper cover as well. It looks like about $3,000 in damage. She's not happy.

I am looking for comps to figure out what they owe her for diminished value, since the car will no longer have the original panels nor paint. Any suggestions as to where I can look, or values of other mint, stock early NSXs?

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Stiles

If it's repaired properly, by a top-notch body shop that doesn't cut corners, there will be no significant diminished value.

I am looking for comps to figure out what they owe her for diminished value, since the car will no longer have the original panels nor paint. Any suggestions as to where I can look, or values of other mint, stock early NSXs?

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Stiles

Diminished value will be tough to get from their insurance company. Also, be sure to find THE BEST shop you can to repair this work. DO NOT just go w/ the shop the dealer or insurance wants to use.

Diminished value will be tough to get from their insurance company. Also, be sure to find THE BEST shop you can to repair this work. DO NOT just go w/ the shop the dealer or insurance wants to use.
I agree.

In the past, if you call customer service at Acura HQ, they have been willing to refer you to a body shop in your area that has been trained on repairing the NSX. I don't know if that's still true, but it's worth a shot. Or you can ask in the appropriate NSXprime regional forum for recommendations.

would'nt diminished value only be figured if you were selling vehicle and someone didn't want to give market price due to the paint work.
if the owner plans on keeping it I can't imagine a insurance company giving extra money just for that reason alone.

Im looking at an NSX with a seemingly similar story in terms of its prestine condition , minus the fact that it had to have paint and a body pannel replaced...

Just an informal poll I guess relating to this:

If the choice presented itself , what would you rather own?

An NSX with absolutely no history but with 60,000 miles (a few mods / upgrades )

OR

An NSX with a story like this one , slight damage but clean title and 30,000 miles?

Im racking my brain over this cause I have to choose

If the choice presented itself , what would you rather own?

An NSX with absolutely no history but with 60,000 miles (a few mods / upgrades )

OR

An NSX with a story like this one , slight damage but clean title and 30,000 miles?

Im racking my brain over this cause I have to choose

Depends on how well the repaired NSX was repaired. I wouldn't shy away from minor paint work if it was done top notch, but that's just me.
People place a lot of negative emphasis on cars w/ paintwork. Unless you plan to store and sell this NSX at the BJ auction sometime in the next 20 years, don't worry about it. If you plan to drive the car (basically, to let it fulfill it's destiny), then it comes down to condition of the cars.

In the end it will come down to current condition rather than paint work. If the 60K mile car is in better condition, I'd choose it. If the 30K mile car was in better condition, I'd choose that one.

Well , both cars look pretty damn clean.

The one with 60,000 miles has been mostly used as a show car, and lightly modified with stuff like intake, type r steering wheel , wheels , stuff like that... the engine looks clean and so does the interior, i have no reason to believe the car wasnt babied by the photos ive seen

the 30,000 mile car looks as you would expect for a car of its mileage. everything looks brand new, and to be honest ( since im not really that keen when it comes to spoting potential imperfections in paint and such ) didnt even know the car had been in a fender bender untill i was told about it. With these cars in equal condition just about its a hard choice

One thats got about 7,000 dollars in tasteful mods that is to my liking

Or

One thats bone stock but with half the mileage and repairs done.

its such a hard choice....

Anyone else care to share their 2 cents????????:confused:

Are they both (or either) in the snap ring range?

Good point.

Need to check on Snap Ring Range and are services up to date? If they are both equally as clean, and you like both, maybe the one to choose is the one that won't cost you maintenance right away.

Timing belt time - especially on a '91. My '91 had its belt replaced in 2002. And I'm getting ready (:frown: ) to do it again soon.

Probably radiator hose time as well. Age - more than miles.

im pretty sure neither are in snap ring range.

With that said, isnt 60,000 coming close to a service interval?

If either car is a pre-1999/2000, then you are looking at having the timing belt, pump and hoses needing replacement based on age not mileage.

im pretty sure neither are in snap ring range.

With that being said....................... you are sure that the transmission part number doesn't fall between J4A4-10003542 AND J4A4-10005978? Do you know where to look for this number? This info can be found in Acura Service Bulitin (SB) 93-010. Don't be "pretty sure", Better know "for sure".

Brad

I think the OP was trying to determine what a good price to buy the car is, or am I wrong?:confused:

I think the OP was trying to determine what a good price to buy the car is, or am I wrong?:confused:
I don't know.

The original description did not indicate the car's maintenance status, i.e.

- Is all scheduled maintenance up to date, including the timing belt replacement?

- Is the car out of the snap ring range, or, if the car is in the snap ring range, has the tranny case been replaced?

- Have the window fix-it thingies been installed?

- Is everything else working properly, with no need for repairs whatsoever?

If all of these answers are yes, and the description provided is accurate, then the car is worth $31-35K before the recent accident. If the damage is repaired properly, by a top-notch body shop that doesn't cut corners, then the car is worth $31-35K after the recent accident, too.

I kinda assumed from reading it that they were just trying to get some extra money out of the insurance company to put in pocket. No where did it state that they were trying to sell or buy the car. :confused:

Nope. This is my good friend's car, which was in truly superior condition before this happened. I was in the car business for quite a while (I'm not anymore) and have run numbers like this before for clients in this situation in the past, but this is such a limited production car that reliable numbers for stock examples are hard to find. I want to find a figure that will be as fair as possible both to my friend and the dealership that damaged the car.

I'd love to have an NSX for myself one day but the 1098 will have to do for now. :biggrin:

PS - the money isn't really the point. The owner certainly doesn't need it and I'm helping her gratis. It's the principle; that they carelessly broke a formerly cherry car and it'll never again be an unmolested original. She intends to keep the car forever if possible AFAIK.

You should try Downforce. They do paint and know NSX's since they make parts for them or you could try San Pedro Autobody. Both are in So-Cal. Not sure where your friend is located.

We're both east coast. The dealership that broke it is a credited Acura dealership and authorized NSX bodyshop IIRC; I will double check that status in the morning.

Thanks for the input so far!

Back