• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Design flaws?

My whole point about the cup holder isn't if there should be one in the car, rather the one in it now does not even hold down a cup. Hence, a design flaw.

OK...a flaw. How about the oiling issues of the crank?

The Achilles heel of the NSX

Doesnt get talked about much here but all the guys that know Shad, Mikey, Chris, Dave.........Can't explain why Honda used such a strange rod oiling order? that starves #4. And no pan baffle?

So one drop in oil presser, low oil, or a track day..........your crank will scratch the bearing that will soon fail.

Cranks are basically unavailable or $$$$$, no over-sized bearings to polish up the crank and reuse?

I've talked with all the motor builders and it's the same thing.

If you are ever going to ONE track day/HPDE better get an oil pan baffle and an Accusump.

It's even in the last NSX Driver magazine.

Can we go into more detail here? How serious is this risk, for say someone that goes out to a couple of (modest) track events and moderate (drive to work) spirited driving otherwise.. on a High Boost AEM SC'd car :) I don't abuse the car, but it is driven as it's mean to be driven..

I am considering upgrading the oil-related components, but since I don't track heavily (hm. haven't even started with the NSX....) I don't want to put money to mitigate a risk that isn't very applicable to me..

Can we go into more detail here? How serious is this risk, for say someone that goes out to a couple of (modest) track events and moderate (drive to work) spirited driving otherwise.. on a High Boost AEM SC'd car :) I don't abuse the car, but it is driven as it's mean to be driven.

Do you get NSX Driver mag? That's what my oil pan looked like "fools GOLD" only driven at one weekend BMW HPDE weekend. The cars been babied ~70k on.

I had fun but it cost me a motor. Now after doing some research I find out it's the most common "after the press cast oil pump gear" to motor failures.

And this was on a STOCK '91 only aftermarket part "Dali sway bar" :confused: and still on street tires.

I wanted to upgrade the car sometime in the future but the future came to me :smile:

If somebody would have told me this from the start "buying, owning an NSX". I would have upgraded to a baffled oil pan. Than thought about how many track days/AutoX I want to do and how much risk ($$$$$) and added an Accusump too.

When I bought my car I heard the same garbage everybody else has. "It's a Honda it'll run forever" just make sure the timing belt and maintenance has been done.

Talk to the people that rebuild them. Shad at Driving Ambition formally the well funded Honda Comptech racing said he's never seen a timing belt fail :confused: but bearing #4 "oh yah all the time and replace your oil pump gear too".

Maybe mine will................after $30+k

Never knew about the oiling crank issue...glad I started this thread :smile:

Is this issue only a problem at the track where the g forces pulls the oil?

1. Fat B pillar (hinders vision; increases blind spot)

2. For T-top owners: T-top cuts down on headroom, the side latch is very dangerous if you are tall and hit from the side. This sits right next to your temporal lobe; the skull covering this part of the brain is the most vulnerable to puncture (the bone is the thinnest here). One bad side-impact and you will suffer brain trauma.

3. The trim from the doors to the dash does not line up on later models. I read that they reinforced the doors in the later years, so maybe this is why the trim is off by like 3-4 cm.

Other than that, i love this car.

It's even in the last NSX Driver magazine.

Wow, that was such a well written, informative, and entertaining article! Fairly sure it's up for a Pulitzer. :wink:

Damage seen HERE within the "3.0 Destruction" album. Note that the pan was baffled.

I don't think the NSX makes efficient use of space.

My 1985 MR2 was a smaller car, but had better
passenger legroom and front+rear trunks.

Try a Gallardo, you will apprciate the NSX more in terms of interior room.

rear compliance bar, freaking ridiculously hard to adjust valves, and ive heard something about the oil pump that is all.

The only real design flaws i can think of are

1. The plastic window thingy that breaks

2. the speaker amps that blow (probably more a Bose flaw not Honda)

3. long gears of the 5 speed as mentioned above. (maybe)

4. true headers as mentioned above (maybe)

I dont think that things like cupholders which were simply excluded can be considered. Something that was designed but prooven to not work properly should be considered. The oil pan is up for debate since in any street driving, it will not be an issue...But if you start with the phrase "a lack of" for the most part, you cant consider it a design flaw. "a lack of a steering wheel, etc." would be but they gave us one.

I don't need it for me, but I wish that the seats featured (electric) adjustable side bolsters. Can't take any thick friends for a ride...

Other design flaw = the earth has little rocks that like to fly up and hit the pretty paint on the low nose of my NSX ... bad earth! :rolleyes:

A quick reply,
I must be careful (I was kind of an ass last time)

Not sucking up, but...

Flaws.. No actually

The fact that I'm 6'3" and I have leg room...pretty good head room... this is a plus. Most exotics have no room in the pit (the legs) but the nsx is great for this.

Now as far as the passenger side.... I believe the designers figured if you were driving this car, your passenger should be a 5'1" beauty and half of her should be on your lap.... so that's plenty of leg room..

I wish .....

It seems that a lot of people in this thread don't realize that the NSX has cup holders... I think they were added in '93.

Those of us that have cup holders also know that the use of them is quite awkward due to their placement - though they do carry a couple small bottles of water pretty well. I would definitely consider them a design flaw, but pretty minor considering how accessible everything else is in the cabin.

Could someone post the article from NSX Driver re: oiling issue.I thought you could drive a stock car on the track.

Could someone post the article from NSX Driver re: oiling issue.I thought you could drive a stock car on the track.

An NSX in stock trim is capable of being driven on the track. As with any car the more wear [mileage] on the car the more meticulous one needs to be when venturing forth to push your car at the far reaches of your ability for 20 minutes at a time.

Oil, as we all know, is the life blood of the engine and needs to maintained at optimum levels, especially if you you are pushing your car for extended periods of time. I have tracked my car and have had no issues. As the level of performance is increased; addition of SC, suspension, sticker tires and more, I am up grading the oiling system to keep pace with the increased performance limits of the car. A larger oil pan and and accuesump will be added.

As to the crank issue, given the number of NSXs that have been tracked and some of those extensively for years using the stock crank. In my opinion it is a matter of concern but not beyond what I considered a reasonable risk. I am more concerned about my ability and that of the drivers around my in causing a loss of the car than I am about the engine failing. In fact I am more concerned about the cast pistons failing than I am about rod bearings. Of course that is due to the SC and air/fuel ratios and their temperatures verses timing.

Then again to get back back to the the question asked at the beginning of this thread; Design Flaws. Why would you design an engine with titanium rods and couple those very exotic rods to a cast piston? A design flaw? I don't know but I do know they will be replaced along with the stock oil gears as the new engine is assembled. :biggrin:

1. Fat B pillar (hinders vision; increases blind spot)

Other than that, i love this car.

The blind spot on the driver's side can be eliminated by simply re-adjusting your mirror to point outward more (to your left). We all grew up aiming the side mirror to sight down the bodywork of the car, but actually it is an inefficient and even dangerous method to use.

I got the following information from Click and Clack (Tom and Ray) on Car Talk, and was shocked at how well it works.

Try this: Aim the mirror far out to the side so that it starts to pick up cars as they pass you on the left and as they just begin to move out of the sight line of the interior rear-view mirror. My mirror just picks up these passing cars and keeps them in sight until I can see them beside me without a mirror. My blind-spot is completely eliminated in this way.

No you can love your car even more. :smile:

I would definitely consider them a design flaw, but pretty minor considering how accessible everything else is in the cabin.

Yup, having the Marketing folks force the Engineers to design and implement a cupholder in a car that was NEVER intended to have one: is indeed a design flaw.

This thread is not making the distinction between design, implementation and production. They are all very different things.

That particular article was authored by me but is the property of NSXCA. I'd recommend joining the club and asking for a back issue with that specific article. NSXDriver comes out quarterly and is a value add for joing the NSXCA.

The follow-up article is being written now and should be published in an upcoming issue this year.

Back